Thread: Electronics

Default Electronics

I am new to the AK winters, when i set my boat up for the winter should i take out the electronic do to the cold? or will they be fine in the boat when tarped. The boat is a PC 260 ht
    Thanks T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Default I would take then out

If it is a LCD display, is it possible to freeze and crack it? There must be someone on here who is an electronics expert. All I have is a fish finder, and it comes out.

I leave my VHF radios in the boat all winter, but i take out my GPS and or radar screens for the winter. Im not worried about the cold as much as I am somebody stopping by and stealing it. The radios have been working for years like this though. I wouldnt think cold would damage an LCD screen. Maybe very extreme temperatures, but not an ordinary winter in anchorage. It will damage any rechargable batteries though, so take out handheld VHF radios if you can.

I have had mine left in some extreme cold and they survived, I do take them out, even my compass, normally just to be safe. (LCD screen might not survive) I'm not an expert, but is the heat more damaging than cold? Seems I have heard that somewhere before. My radio is non-removable (in dash) and stereo also, big ticket items take out for sure.

Default Depends on how cold...

LCD will freeze and crack if cold enough. As far as the electronics go, capacitors will also freeze at their rated non-operating temperature. So, it depends on the quality of the components in the unit. Some electronics will show a storage of down to -40C, which is also -40F. It's best to read the manufacturer's datasheet on your model to be positive, but I take all of mine out anyway. My VHF even has an LCD screen.

I take out all of my electronics for the winter. Pack them all in a big box and store in a warm place for the winter. Why take a chance of doing damage when its real easy to pull the stuff out.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Thanks

Thanks to all sounds good, all makes sence. I was not sure about it, i am out of the country again and the wife will have to take care of it this yr. Good luck to all T

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam