Thread: Rain and Moose movement

Default Rain and Moose movement

Any facts on moose movement (or lack there of) in the rain?
    I've read that moose move late morning and late evening "on sunny days" but I haven't read anything what they do (or don't do) when it rains. Any help out there?

Thanks!

Default IME

I've never noticed any change in movement during rainy days, havent seen many moose during full blown high wind downpours but it's hard to stay out hunting in that crap. Good luck, I leave Sat to try to find some bulls.

Default Rain or Wind

I've not noticed anything affecting movement with rain, however I have noticed in high wind days (25mph+) that they will come out of the trees and lurk around stands of alders that block the wind for them.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Where I hunt: If its a good downpour they will hunker down most times. This is not to say there won't be some on the move but after a good downpour for a few days with hardly any moose movement it is not uncommon to have moose all over the morning after the rain has stopped.
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Movement

You hunt moose where there are sunny days??? I'd like to join you.

Seriously, where I have hunted, it is either rainy or cloudy most of the time. I've never noticed any difference. I agree with the other posters - in high wind, moose movement is restricted.

I believe that anything in moderation (rain, wind, snow...) will not affect Moose or any game animals.

But as soon as those elements become more than moderate and affect thier ability to detect danger (smell, hearing, sight) then they shut down and hold up. Also, anything more than moderate also affects creature comfort but mostly I believe it is a safety issue.

On this years hunt we were happy to have a moderate rain come through. After every rain we would see a big increase in moose movement. Didn't seem to matter what time of day or if the rain lasted very long.

My experience isn't vast or sceintific, but I've noticed a reduction in movement during heavier rains, especially if they last long. I've read a couple of things where guys said prolonged heavy rain (several days) can actually shut the rut down (don't know if that's true).
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    My I've read a couple of things where guys said prolonged heavy rain (several days) can actually shut the rut down (don't know if that's true).
    While I think weather can have an impact on the rut, the effect is somewhat minor. The rut is "turned on" by the amount of sunlight. Photoperiodic response? Something like that...

I could be wrong about this, so take it with a grain of salt: I mostly hunt by an ATV trail, and have had a success rate around 80% so far. I have noticed that after the rain, cows move around and stop to drink water on the puddles left by the rain on the trail. Sometimes these cows hang around the large open fields near the trail, and sometimes stay there for several hours or return a day or two later. Perhaps because of these rain puddles, I can usually see lots of tracks all around them. I have seen bull moose and cows (off the season, of course) kneeling down and drinking from these puddles. Once I see cows in these fields, it's a matter of time before I see a bull.

The trail has been dry during this moose season, and the few cows and bulls I have seen have been in lower grounds and cat trails far from the trail I hunt. I have also noticed that moose hunker down when raining heavily, and then get up and resume eating the wet leaves right after the rain, as well as dew-soaked leaves in the mornings.

Yesterday was our worst day out yet, We saw one cow and it only stood up after about 20 minutes of calling within 50' of it. In our area the rain seems to make them just hunker down and stay in bed.