Thread: First Goat!

Thumbs up First Goat!

Last Friday I was able to get off work early along with a couple of friends and we decided to head up the mountain behind my house to see if we could spot any goats.
    We left my truck at 1:00 PM and headed up the trail climbed to the base of the alpine taking about two hours. Upon getting there we did not see any goats but trekked up higher. After about a half hour of going up the ridge I spotted a lone goat in the distance so we dropped our packs. My one buddy stayed with the packs while my other buddy headed up the mountain to put a stalk on the goat. As we where heading up the clouds started moving in and it gave us some good cover to get close. When I got to an area I knew I could get a good shot the clouds got so thick we could not see fifty feet. After waiting nearly a half hour we decided to try and get closer so we climbed and side hilled towards the place we seen him. After about twenty minutes of slow climbing and side hilling we seen him standing there. He looked like a monster to me, the novice hunter and two shots later the goat was tumbling down the hill.
    After climbing down to the goat I was so excited, my first goat! I have always been a fisherman first and hunter as a distant second and have never had great success. This was the most awesome thing in my life, the legendary mountain goat, and I got one! It was not a monster but a young billy with 8 1/4 inch horns but it is truly a trophy to me.
    At 7:00 PM we had it skinned butchered and in our packs and we headed back down. I was back home in my driveway at 9:30 PM. What a great way to spend and afternoon.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that is just great! From the pictures it looks like you killed him in your front yard, but of course I know that no goat hunt comes easily. Congratulations on a job well done!

Default Picture of location

Brian,
    That pic was taken where he stopped at the bottom the hill, about three hundred feet from where I shot him.
    Here is a pic of the location, he was about twenty feet from the top.
    Attached Images Attached Images

<clapping> man alive bud,my hats off to you,thats beautiful.Congrtas.Daniel

Pretty cool to take a trophy like that on an afternoon hunt! With all that green, he should be pretty tasty. Well done. It's a toss up to which is more impressive to me: the afternoon goat hunt or the blue bird day in September on Kodiak! Congratulations.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

congrats i head out in morning to PWS for 15th opener going to scout and bear hunt till it opens. don't expect mine to be as easy will be bow hunting. don't expect the weather will be that nice either.
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

It did rain some that day, we just ended up above the clouds. It was a pain finding our way back down through them. Thank goodness for GPS.

Default Nice Goat

Congrats on the Billy!....like they say about hunting..."Right place at the Right time"....Sure hope Kodiak is the right place for me in Oct., but not sure if it will be the right time, I'm ready to battle the "Elements" (wind,rain,fog, and cold)...Alaska hunting at its finest!

Default First goat!

Way to go. One day hunt as well. It doesn't get any better than that.

Phil

Way to go man! Your story is getting me all jacked up for my goat hunt in a couple of weeks.

CONGRATS!!!

Which unit is this? Beautiful area and nice looking goat.

Awesome job. No such thing as an easy Goat Hunt. Nice animal, savor the memories. Took my first goat last fall, cant wait for the Taxi to get done!

Kodiak, north road system.

Default What caliber on that Tikka?

So what was the caliber and bullet combo?

300 win mag. 180 gr. federal vital shok.

Beautiful critter and congrat. Im sure it is some tasty snacks about now too. Yum Yum
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Thumbs up Great Story!!!

Congrats!! Thanks for sharing with us.

Default Nice

Sweet! There is a lot of snow in Kodiak this year! A buddy & I took two goats just ont he ridge to the left in your picture. When we popped over the top there was close to 25 head making a break for it. We went about this time of year & there was NO SNOW! Nice billy. Congrads.