Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New 338 Federal.....

Default New 338 Federal.....

Perusing through the Armalite web site today I found they have added to their list of calibers in the AR10T model the 338 Federal. It comes with a 24" match grade stainless barrel, two stage match trigger and flat top upper half with a gas block flat top front sight rail. Though a little heavy with this barrel (probably lighter than the 308) but would serve well as AR style hunting rifle for the bigger of the big game.

This 338 Federal is going to be a winner of a caliber and it's nice to see it in an AR platform.

Armalite also has the AR15A4C carbine in 6.8 SPC and 7.62x39. Those light weights will be great additions to the grandkids arsenal, all to match the youngest grandsons AR15A4 5.56 rifle. Lets see, the six eight seems like a good girls rifle. Does magpul make a purple colored, six position butt stock?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Hey Murphy,
    I think it sould make a fine package for someone.
    Like the idea of a 33 for all kinds of situations here.
    Almost bought my wife one.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Perusing through the Armalite web site today I found they have added to their list of calibers in the AR10T model the 338 Federal. It comes with a 24" match grade stainless barrel, two stage match trigger and flat top upper half with a gas block flat top front sight rail. Though a little heavy with this barrel (probably lighter than the 308) but would serve well as AR style hunting rifle for the bigger of the big game.

This 338 Federal is going to be a winner of a caliber and it's nice to see it in an AR platform.

Armalite also has the AR15A4C carbine in 6.8 SPC and 7.62x39. Those light weights will be great additions to the grandkids arsenal, all to match the youngest grandsons AR15A4 5.56 rifle. Lets see, the six eight seems like a good girls rifle. Does magpul make a purple colored, six position butt stock?
    That's the first thing ever to come along and interest me in picking up an AR. I'd be even more interested if they'd crop the barrel to around 20 and cut the weight. I'm sure there are other apps, but for me a semi in 338 would be intended as a fast handling, tough field gun. Open sights would be good, too.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    That's the first thing ever to come along and interest me in picking up an AR. I'd be even more interested if they'd crop the barrel to around 20 and cut the weight. I'm sure there are other apps, but for me a semi in 338 would be intended as a fast handling, tough field gun. Open sights would be good, too.
    I agree with BrownBear on all counts. I have never been much or an AR fan, but one such as he described could be interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post
    I agree with BrownBear on all counts. I have never been much or an AR fan, but one such as he described could be interesting.
    The utility of the combo is more than hypothetical for me. For the last 30 years my go-to walk around gun has been a peep sighted Savage 99 in 358 Winchester, a near-twin of the 338 ballistically. You just couldn't beat it for light weight and fast handling without diving into a custom gun. My only complaints have been that it's a little long for my needs, and lately almost too "valuable" to carry and beat up.

Considering the replacement cost of a 99 in 358 or the cost of acquiring another and rebarreling to either 338 Fed or 358 Win, it may be just about as economical and a lot more sensible to pick up a basic utilitarian AR in 338 Fed. I'd pass on match accuracy and scoping features in exchange for an all-weather finish, shorter length, good open sights, and bounce-it-through-the-rocks field toughness.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    The utility of the combo is more than hypothetical for me. For the last 30 years my go-to walk around gun has been a peep sighted Savage 99 in 358 Winchester, a near-twin of the 338 ballistically. You just couldn't beat it for light weight and fast handling without diving into a custom gun. My only complaints have been that it's a little long for my needs, and lately almost too "valuable" to carry and beat up.

Considering the replacement cost of a 99 in 358 or the cost of acquiring another and rebarreling to either 338 Fed or 358 Win, it may be just about as economical and a lot more sensible to pick up a basic utilitarian AR in 338 Fed. I'd pass on match accuracy and scoping features in exchange for an all-weather finish, shorter length, good open sights, and bounce-it-through-the-rocks field toughness.
    Once again you took the words right out of my mouth. IF they build one so configured or you do get one let me know what you think.

Right now my next project is going in a whole different direction. Looking at getting a 338-378 Weatherby Accumark and putting a Bushnell ELite 6500 2.5-16x50mm on it and stretching my legs a bit.

Brownbear, are you looking for a brush/bear/close range gun in the AR? They also offer the .50 Beowulf and the .458 SOCOM which have piqued my interests as well.

Murph, I believe that AR10 was featured on an episode of American Rifleman TV about 2-3 weeks ago. May be able to find the show online or clips on youtube....Just thought you may want to check it out....

Quote Originally Posted by theONE73 View Post

That could be interesting indeed!!!!
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default hmmm...

Having some experience with the black rifle, I don't personally see much use for them as a big game hunting tool. For prairie dogs and such, yes, but not for big game. My main problem with it is that the balance point does not lend itself to handy carry in the field. Unless you have the fixed carrying handle on top, the only real place to hold is at the very back of the handguard, which is forward of the balance point. So then it is butt heavy. I guess you could get one of the 3 point slings like we use in the military, but that might get unhandy for a hunting rifle as well. ARs are also noisier to operate than typical hunting rifles. The charging handle, safety, and dust cover all add extra noise potential.

To me, the Browning BAR or Remington 750 seem like better options if you want a semi-auto for hunting.

Dpms makes an AR-10 in .338 Federal. 18" barrel, just under 8lbs and about $1000 less than the Armalite. Looking at the price of these things it might be cheaper to find a heavy-barreled FAL and have it re-barreled!

Mag pull stocks are a real downside. You can't get the minimum length of pull you need for cold weather use or for people with short arms. The need for a cheek piece for scope use limits the choices down even more. The whole idea of a collapsible buttstock with any of the other things you need has just crossed off these stocks. Once you find a stock that fits all of the needs you want you end up with and adjustable target style stock.

The mag pull best stock only offers a minimum LOP of 13".
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

You don't need an adjustable cheek rest on a AR. Just use low profile mounts....

As for the adjustable stock, there are stock spacers, and different length stock sets to fit anyone.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

So, what's so great about the 338 Federal?

I can load light for caliber bullets in my 338 WM, but have the option to use 250 grain bullets also.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Lighter rifles, shorter bolt throw...

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty of the North View Post
    So, what's so great about the 338 Federal?

I can load light for caliber bullets in my 338 WM, but have the option to use 250 grain bullets also.

Smitty of the North
    Well if you take the old 30-06 vs. 308 argument the 30-06 is always a wee bit better and the .308 has to fall back on the short action advantage especially when bullet weights exceeded 165 grains. With the 338 federal there is no compromise it shoots with the -06 AND has the short action advantage and will take most any game that someone wants to shoot with it...just my .02 though

Quote Originally Posted by AK_Stick View Post
    You don't need an adjustable cheek rest on a AR. Just use low profile mounts....

As for the adjustable stock, there are stock spacers, and different length stock sets to fit anyone.

So then you recommend bending the scope to clear the barrel with scopes with large objectives? What does that do for your sight-in? As for a spacer, how does a spacer help to shorten the length of pull? Remember that the question was about Mag pull. You have a minimum LOP of 13", add a spacer and the stock LOP gets shorter? How do it work?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thumbs down

A friend of mine ordered a new DPMS last week and was told it would 9 to 12 months
    for the delivery time.
    When ask why the long wait, she was told it was the Obama factor.
    Orders are way up and people are scared that he may get in and bring back the gun ban.
    Think real hard about him.

Maybe when the 338 Federal grows up in can become the 358 Winchester.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

You could argue that the 308 version with a mag full of 180grain hunting loads could do anything that the 338 version could do but I think a mag full of 210 partitions or 185 tsx bullets would be cool. Better than a shotgun for a camp gun.

As for comparing a 338 Fed to a 358 Win....looks like win, win to me.

Smitty.....Go ahead and put the 338 win mag in an AR type autoloader.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Quote Originally Posted by c04hoosier View Post
    Having some experience with the black rifle, I don't personally see much use for them as a big game hunting tool. For prairie dogs and such, yes, but not for big game. My main problem with it is that the balance point does not lend itself to handy carry in the field. Unless you have the fixed carrying handle on top, the only real place to hold is at the very back of the handguard, which is forward of the balance point. So then it is butt heavy. I guess you could get one of the 3 point slings like we use in the military, but that might get unhandy for a hunting rifle as well. ARs are also noisier to operate than typical hunting rifles. The charging handle, safety, and dust cover all add extra noise potential.

To me, the Browning BAR or Remington 750 seem like better options if you want a semi-auto for hunting.
    I have a few days hunting with an AR and disagree with everything you just said. The AR is a far better shooter ( in any caliber) and much tougher then the two Semi's you suggested.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast