Thread: Impertech Repair?

Default Impertech Repair?

Anyone know what sticks to impertech in terms of a repair. Both my knee reinforcements have come unglued and I have some puncture wounds to repair over the last couple seasons. I've tried superglue, rubber cement, vinyl cement, bicycle tube repair kits, wader repair kits...nothing I've tried seems to stick to this stuff. Anyone have any luck with anything?

gbt

Default Impertech

Wow, looks like you tried everything, for the money you spent, could've bought a new set.

McNett's Aqua Seal. Do yourself a favor though, and get rid of the Impertech!

What is out there that is better than impertech? I am pretty tough on stuff...I spend considerable time bushwhacking to get into sheep & goat country and then crawling around the rocks.

I'll give the aqua seal a shot...who carries that stuff?

gbt

aqua seal will absolutely fix a hole...., but if you really want a 'fix', remotealaska nailed it, just get rid of them....don't you sweat like crazy using them in your application?...
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

...Shoe-goo is my friend...

have you tried calling HH?
    1-800-435-5901
    or
    (888) 805-

"Gun control is a proven failure in fighting crime. Law abiding citizens should not be asked to give up their rights because of criminals."
    -John McCain

Quote Originally Posted by gbt View Post
    What is out there that is better than impertech? I am pretty tough on stuff...I spend considerable time bushwhacking to get into sheep & goat country and then crawling around the rocks.

I'll give the aqua seal a shot...who carries that stuff?

gbt
    Whats better than Impertech???? the new SITKA NIMBUS SYSTEM, Stronger, lighter and more packable. My son and I used it on our sheep hunt in the Brooks, sitting and sliding on shale, pretty tough stuff, but yes...your going to pay for it, the stuff is NOT cheap!! I used the stuff in Valdez for ocean fishing and it held up to the salt water conditions until I could get it washed. What I really like about the Nimbus is that it Dries FAST!! I believe there was a puncture test done on the Nimbus by Sitka and with the stretch durability it withstood something like 80 pounds from what I was told.

Amazing how quickly the wind shifts on here :-)
    Last year about this time, it seems like Impertech was THE GEAR. Based on that I bought some. So far so good. I do sweat in them, especially if I overdress, but I still haven't found anything that "breathes" that doesn't start letting water in after several straight hours of drenching.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default I'm a Sucker for Sales

I bought a set of the Impertech on the deal they had here last year-pants and jacket. The pants lasted a month before I had 10 holes and tears in them. The jacket de-lamenated. I wasn't smart enough yet, and tried a pair of the bibs. Same exact story on the bibs. It does not hold up for bushwacking in southeast Alaska. The price was great on the group buy here, though. I will stick with tried and true Goretex. I have had Cabela's MT050 jacket and bibs for 2 years, without fail. Recently, I purchased some gear from hycreek.com and this stuff has held up for 4 months so far w/o any leaks,tears or holes. It is called Smart-tex. It is every bit as good as any Goretex I have had and currently have-but considerably less money. It is worth checking into!

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    Amazing how quickly the wind shifts on here :-)
    Last year about this time, it seems like Impertech was THE GEAR. Based on that I bought some. So far so good. I do sweat in them, especially if I overdress, but I still haven't found anything that "breathes" that doesn't start letting water in after several straight hours of drenching.

Default Impertech

I tried & my cousin tried returning our HH Impertech. The HH factory warranty would
    not warranty them! Was very dissapointed in there response. Said they were designed to
    tear, said they were for comercial fisherman. My response was the early HH Impertech were made in camo. & had never seen a comercial fisherman wear camo. asked to speak to a supervisor and was told the same. The later HH Impertech has welded seams the early was stiched and leaked & wicked. I still wear it but prefer other brands.

I affected repairs with shoe goo...seems to work pretty well, as it remains flexible. I still like the Impertech...it works well with my "system" of clothing, especially when the winds start going when you're above treeline.

I really liked some of the Sitka Gear line of clothing that I saw last year. I actually had plans to buy the mountain pants and longsleeve shirt this year on my once-a-year trip to Anchorage. Not sure what happened but the pants and shirt almost tripled in price from last year to this year. I thought $100 was too much for a pair of pants...just no way I am paying $274!

gbt

impertec patch kit is called aqua seal like stated above, put duct tape on teh inside of the hole and AS on the outside, super tough and lasts forever. Not sure what you guys are doing to your impertec and not to your MT050...guiding in impertec has been great, i go thru a pair a year, clients go thru a pair of 050 in a week, and complain about being wet too...
    haven't seen the Nimbus stuff yet..is it..."breathable"?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Default No preferential Treatment

I treated both types of gear the same-just normal use for me. Bush-whacking in southeast AK. I haven't even gotten "wet butt" in the MT050 from an ATV either. Something that usually happens with 2-3 layer goretex laminates. Guess I just got extremely lucky on the MT050 and terribly UN-lucky with the Impertech.

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    impertec patch kit is called aqua seal like stated above, put duct tape on teh inside of the hole and AS on the outside, super tough and lasts forever. Not sure what you guys are doing to your impertec and not to your MT050...guiding in impertec has been great, i go thru a pair a year, clients go thru a pair of 050 in a week, and complain about being wet too...
    haven't seen the Nimbus stuff yet..is it..."breathable"?

If you want to stay dry while bucking brush, get some grunden bibs.

I've been continually disapointed with the wonder waterproof breathable products. They never breath enough, and once the shells get dirty the water doesn't bead up.

I no longer expect any clothing to keep me dry, so I go with what will keep me warm while wet. I find breathable wicking layers keep me from getting chilled from prespiration, and true rain gear keeps the rain out.

Default Grundens

Grundens are too heavy for trekking around Alaska, but great for fishing on a boat. Plus they restrict your mobility and flexibilty to move about, I own a set of bibs I know...

While it's true the pvc type fishing bibs do restrict movement a touch, they are the only thing I know of that will hold up to head high huckleberry, devils club and blow downs.