Thread: Calling:Is it just me?

Default Calling:Is it just me?

I've had limited success in the past calling in moose, but this year on the Peninsula I don't seem to be having any takers at all. I don't know if I lost touch, or I'm a little early. Seems to me that I was calling them in the last week of August in prior years. I would have thought that this year would be no different. I'm using both cow and grunt calls through a megaphone, also using it to rake branches.

Question is, anyone else seem to notice any problems on the Peninsula so far with calling in the bulls?

Or, is it just me?

Thanks

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

don't know about down there but it sure warmed up here in the interior. bulls are not responding as quick now as usual
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

in the interior they respond quite often by the second week of the season. On the first week, make cow calls, rake the trees, or grunt softly to avoid scaring them away. I have called several moose by the 8th day of the season, and just yesterday (Tuesday the 10th), my hunting partner called-in a moose that had responded to me for two days in a row, but stayed back out of sight. This time the bull, stayed out of sight, but calling back all the time. However, my hunting partner started walking away and calling at the same time, and the moose followed him from around 150 yards back. When it steeped in a clearing, he shot it there. We finally had the moose meat at the campsite at 3:00AM. The antlers measured 54" across.

Be aware that bears respond to moose calls, specially grizzly when calling with cow calls. A couple folks I know were making cow calls last week, and they thought that a bull was approaching. This "bull" was breaking branches and making noise just like a moose, but it turned out to be a large grizzly. The guy had a grizzly tag, so he shot it three time with his .375H&H. The first shot was the one that nailed the bear, but he didn't know it at the time, since the bear ran 40 yards or so, and dropped dead. It made the records book at a little over 8' and a 24" skull.

It's too early yet for calling to be effective, at least here in SC and the KP. Give it another week or 2 then it should start picking up.

Most moose hunting on the Kenai ends on the 20th, don't have 2 weeks left!

It all depends on location and year by year it can be different.

I and people I know have been able to call moose in for at least two weeks now in South Central, seems early this year but with them taking another 5 days off our season I will take it!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by .338-06 View Post
    Most moose hunting on the Kenai ends on the 20th, don't have 2 weeks left!
    Dang, you better get busy calling then, there's got to be a lovesick bull there somewhere's!!

Me and my pard spent 12 days hunting the Swanson River canoe trails, west end..paddled out to Spruse lake and did some calling...in 5 days we called in one swan and saw 2 moose and 3 black bears...after 5 days we paddled back in and hunted off the road there for another 5 days and saw no moose...

Default AKHunter45

I was out again this morning. Lots of rain and bugs, no moose. Guess I'll just keep it up until the 20th. With the strange weather this year, maybe I'll blame the "no reponse" on that.

OneRiver, I don't live far from the Swanson area and plan on a couple of days out there. I've been seeing plenty of cows with calves, so I KNOW there has to be some bulls around. At least one..............Hope he's a dumb one and happens to come my way.

Think I'll concentrate on the last five days. Maybe there will be some "excited" bulls around by then.

M

You still have 8 more days and it can turn on (rut) at anytime. Keep calling and use that cow call too, eventually you'll get a bull's attention, he'll come in wanting to fight or wanting to find that sexy cow that's calling his name. Good luck.