Thread: Parks Highway trout

Default Parks Highway trout

Well, its still raining! Was on Willow Tuesday the 9th, and saw a lot of trout and grayling downstream of the Parks. Seems they've really dropped. Almost no salmon left, though I saw a few silvers and caught one burnt out chum. Water levels were perfect, despite all the rain. Go get 'em!

Hit the willow this evening with a buddy...went down stream starting at the highway bridge all the way down to where is just got too deep and the path on the bank disappeared into thick bear-pawed temperate jungle...Probably a good 2-2 1/2 miles downstream total.

Not a thing...couldn't see any and they weren't biting on my beads...My buddy was spin-casting spinners with no luck either...

Had my beads of various types (red, pink, orange, pink and orange with hints of white for the "older" egg simulation). Had appropriate split shot 14-18" above the fly...

Fished the middle of the creek, the cuts in the banks and the pools before and after a treefall...Shallow, deep...nothing

what the heck am i doing wrong??? I haven't caught a trout all year except the little 12"ers on the stocked Elmendorf lakes...

Did you have different size beads? i have had them turn on to 6 mm beads while i was getting nothing on 8 mm beads. size, color, and more importantly having your drift be as natural as possible. some days, they just aren't interested.

Are there a lot of spawning salmon in the creek? Are there a lot of dead carcasses laying on the banks? You could try flesh as well. I've seen people stomp the carcasses to get the flesh flowing in the creek and then follow it up with beads or flesh flies. It sometimes triggers a feeding frenzy.

there was not a spot on the creek that wasn't clear except in the holes where it got deep. there was a trout carcass on my buddy's side of the bank, but i saw nothing anywhere else...used 6mm and 8mm beads. drift was as natural as i could make it (cast slightly up stream and across, and let it drift downstream).

2 words: wooly bugger
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

i really just don;'t think there were any in there haha!!

Default ditto that

Think you hit the nail on the head. Once the trout start to drop, they go quick. Best fishing now is going to be right at the mouth or start at the mouth and work up. Doesn't matter what you're using if no fish are there to look at it! Washed out beads, flesh, and sculpin patterns, including the Dolly Llama, will all work... just gotta put 'em in front of fish and work 'em right. Good luck!

Try going up to 10mm. Those seem to work much better for me lately.

might try putting a red spot or black eye spots on a bead. I've never tried it but if the salmon dropped at least a month ago that means that the embryos will be forming, I have looked at charts but don't remember when the eye spots come in, it may be early yet I guess. I'd say 8mm but 10mm is possible depending on salmon that spawn there, with old red eggs they swell to 8 in my experience but if you have worked your colors and sizes thoroughly then my guess is there aren't any fish there.

A change of tactic with a wooly bugger or attractor patterns might be a good call, maybe some leeches in different colors.

Any flesh present or did the rain wash out all the carcases?

N/M I see reading again you said there aren't any dead fish around. Sucks, same thing I hear from the kenai with all the rain, usually a good bet this time of year....
    Last edited by River Runnin; 09-24-2008 at 01:52. Reason: reread the posts
    River Runnin

So if there are eye spots on the eggs they are alive and if the eggs are alive they are stuck in gravel far from the mouth of hungry trout...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default on the kenai

at kenai and at quarts red dots work wonders! early or not, all summer theyve worked for me :/

I know red spots on the 10mm beads was the the ticket a few weeks ago on the middle kenai. They get dislodged if the gravel shifts. Flood water can wash out nests too.
    River Runnin