Thread: Best set-up for the small riverboat?

Default Best set-up for the small riverboat?

Okay, I'll be up there in 3 weeks, and laying down roots (weather permitting) (I will be in anchorage) I read alot on here but what I'm looking for is opinions on a good river boat, initially thinking a john type boat, outboard only, and maybe building my own type of canopy.

At first I thought of just a do all type of boat, but from reading and experience, there is no such thing. Ideally its a boat that will do rivers for hunting and fishing. And after my 12 month stint, hopefully dipping in kenia, (which brings in the whole 4 stroke or 2strock dfi, under 50) Would also like to hit ressurection bay, when the fish are in, and weather is good!

So, I was thinking a 16-20 boat, a outboard jet??

For background, I've run boats of all sizes on lakes, for alot of years but this would be my first "river" boat so something tame would be good, at least a good starter boat.

Any thoughts?? We stopped cable 2 weeks ago so this is basically my outlet so I'm just researching and cruisin the web!

Thanks!

Honestly I'd say your best bet is to spend some time up here figuring out what rivers you want to run, what you want to hunt, and then figure it out.

A boat suitable for say two guys, 2 weeks supplies, a boned out moose and enough fuel for a long journey won't be the same boat you'll want for exploring the smallest little tributaries with.

While typically you can find the best prices on boats this time of year, you could also end up with something that is less than ideal for what you plan to do.

You can dip the kenai from the shore, and with the goat rope of launcing and retrieving during dipping season I personally prefer to just do it from shore.

Default need a little more info

basically how much do you want to spend?

Cruise craigslist, lots of stuff being sold there

If you are only going to dipnet the Kenai, don't worry about the 50hp rule, you can have more than that on that portion of the river (i run a 150hp opti) just make sure you get a 4 stroke or a DFI motor. the popular 4 strokes are yamaha, and the popular DFIs are the merc optimax.

Thanks guys

Hey, I'm just trying to envoke a bit of dialog. Yes, would like a boat to fish the local rivers in the valley and a boat that would also hold a moose would be good as well. I was thinking of about 6k, and would favor a low hours outboard above all

Yes I have alot to learn, and a strong desire to do so. but I have an idea of the boat I'm looking for, plenty have pasted me up and down the river I've spent maybe 6 months up there fishing over the last 7 years (I'm a lucky one with family and a extra room in Anch!)

I'm not looking to pull the trigger untill spring, unless a good winter project comes up, but just wanted thoughts on a boat to do, say, 20mile, the Sue's, etc.

Hey, no cable tv here!! Its either shooting it here or working on the house or packing Cant wait to get up!

Default boat

sounds like you have an idea of what you want already. If that is the case, the next few months you will find the deals. If not, then wait till after the boat show, I think its in Jan or Feb sometime. Poeple buy new at the show, and then list thier old stuff for sale.

But sounds like a typical john boat with a 90/60 jet is the way your planning on going. Those are good rigs for the rivers, I'm not sure I'd venture too far out in the salt with a rig like that.

I hear you on the salt! Ideally I'd have a "Patience" spl? for the sea, I've got my more deep pocketed brother in law working on that one!

But we have timed a couple seward chaters where we have picked up our six without loosing sight of the docks, I think our first hookup was 100 yards out of the mouth last year, we saw a few fellas in flat bottom 16-18 footers, man they dont handle the chop well! So there I understand, would have been better in a 16' vee lund with a tiller

AK is really a 3 boat place, mine

-river boat (powered)
    -24' min sea boat (while we are dreaming,,, a hewscraft, or at least an all welded)
    -and I'm on the fence here but I'm thinking either a 14' round or a 16' cat

Thanks guys

Default Lund skiff...

... with a transom jack for either jet or prop. The Lunds do well all over rural Alaska on both river and salt. They are light, relatively flat in the stern and haul a lot. I have been in Lunds in water that would have scared me in other aluminum skiffs. Their only drawback is that they are riveted boats.

No, I don't own one.

TBLOOMA- Hondas are popular too.