Thread: vane removal

Default vane removal

Is there a good way to remove damaged vanes from carbon arrows without damaging the carbon fibers? I had to remove some fletch from some arrows last night and they were really glued on good. I tried to peel them off by starting with a knife and working them off by hand but they just tore. When I used the knife to take them off, it shaved a thin layer of carbon off with them.

Anyone run into this and is there an easy method to do it without damaging arrows?? Thanks

I removed the vanes the same way last week. It is inevitable that the glue is hard remove, and thus getting into the arrow slightly. I use the knife blade to scrape back and forth quickly. I used a kitchen steak knife that was not too sharp, and not on the serrated part of the blade.

I place the blade slightly over perpendicular to the arrow, so as to reduce chances of tendancy to dig into the arrow. I got it the best I could, then took some 600 grit sandpaper smooth it out.

I then used a damp paper towel to remove the dust, and installed the QuickFletchs on my arrows. The QuickFletchs cover all evidence of the glue and irregularities nicely.

You can buy a Zip-Strip and do it all in about 10 seconds. Very easy and doesnt leave much behind. I use Rubbing Alcohol to clean off the shaft before I re-fletch them. try not to use Acetone on the Carbon shatfs,it will soften them over time.

Here is a link:
    http://www.bowhuntingstuff.com/c=9AW..._Stripper.html

Good luck-Tim
    Last edited by tjkanavel; 09-11-2008 at 05:59. Reason: spelling
    If you can read this, thank a Teacher.
    If you can read this in English, thank a Soldier.

I use razor blades to remove fletching/vanes. I cut shallowly, then scrape the residue off, after which I use acetone to rub it clean. Works great.

Brent

Default THanks

Thanks for the tips everyone. I will give it a try. That zip stripper tool looks pretty cool. Hmmmm...I wonder if I have something around that would work to do the same thing....

I was just worried that the removal of some of the carbon fibers may cause an arrow to disintegrate on release. I've Seen some pretty nasty pictures of hands with carbon fibers through them and hope not to see it first hand so to speak...

Potato peeler..seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Works well, huh? Little or no damage to shaft?

I second the potato peeler. When you refletch use wraps. Makes the arrows look good and if you have to refletch you dont have the problem of scraping off the glue.

potato peeler!! why didn't I think of that before.....

I also use a potato peeler. I works better than anything else I have tried.

Thanks for the tip AKDoug and the verification guys.... I wonder if the wife will notice that the potato peeler has glue residue on it when she goes to use it ...

Default Potatoe Peeler

1. Do not use her potatoe peeler if she is home, or working in the kitchen.
    2. If you risk using her peeler, make sure there is no possibility you will get caught. Send her to the store with a cell phone. 5 minutes after she leaves, call her to ask where she is, and ask if she can get one more item. Doesn't matter what. She may be more receptive if it is inexpensive.
    3. Now you have confirmed you won't get caught, grab a handful of arrows, hopefully you had them staged them in advance for quick access.
    4. Grab the peeler and start removing the fletchings. Take careful note of where you got it from. It helps to set a timer on the stove, say 5 minutes, so you don't lose track of time.
    5. Once you are done, wash it and dry it completely. Also, clean up your mess of fletches and dried glue.
    6. Put the peeler away, in the exact position as you found it.
    7. Re-fletch your arrows.
    8. If you wife complains that the peeler doesn't work as well, offer to do the peelings, AND, offer to buy her a new peeler the next time you go to the store.

If you follow these directions to the T, you shouldn't have any problems.

LMAO!!! That is a great plan....hmmmm....HEY!!! Wait a minute!!! Now it all makes sense!! That is why I get that phone call on my way out of the store that she wants something else and when I get home my razor sharp hunting knife has an edge like a butter knife and the tip is broke off!!! It looks like someone was using it as a screwdriver!!!!!

See? Two can play that game. I guess now that your hunting knifes are being used when you are gone, You should have absolutely no reservations about using her peeler when she is gone. However, please follow the directions carefully. What's good for the goose is not always good for the gander.

Default I used Momma's Potate Peeler

I grew a huge pair, grabbed the potate peeler and striped the vanes from my arrow. Momma watched me.

The potate peeler was trashed after I was done. The blades had nicks in them. The glue was hell on the blade.

So, if you gonna take Momma's peeler for your arrows, might as well get a new one.

Default Good tip!

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Good thread/advice. Thanks.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    Is there a good way to remove damaged vanes from carbon arrows without damaging the carbon fibers? I had to remove some fletch from some arrows last night and they were really glued on good. I tried to peel them off by starting with a knife and working them off by hand but they just tore. When I used the knife to take them off, it shaved a thin layer of carbon off with them.

Anyone run into this and is there an easy method to do it without damaging arrows?? Thanks
    Next time your in Wasilla, stop by Screaming Eagle archery and for $8 bucks or so, you can pick up a vane stripper. Won't damage arrows or anything. Works slick..

Talking

A couple questions?

1) What's a vane?
    2) Why would I want to remove it?
    Most importantly:
    3) Once I remove it, why would I replace it?

Doesn't everyone just slip a new FOB over the back end of a shaft?

Just poking fun!

Taylor

-[]-------->