Thread: Kodiak Caribou

Default Kodiak Caribou

Has anyone ever hunted the Kodiak Caribou herd? I was thinking it would be a good combo with a deer hunt for next year. Anyone know how big the herd is and what not?

Default kodiak bou

its a small herd - under 200 animals (in a good year). seem to be centered in the Grant's Lagoon area, I've found sheds in the Halibut Bay drainage. from what I've heard, the antlers aren't the best quality (but the meat is just as good) as animals found elsewhere.
    hunt deer - if you see any bou & have a harvest ticket, you'll be ahead of the game.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    Has anyone ever hunted the Kodiak Caribou herd? I was thinking it would be a good combo with a deer hunt for next year. Anyone know how big the herd is and what not?
    I've got friends out there right now on a dedicated archery hunt. They've done it before and they're good at it. But they're also willing not to score. The reindeer are their priority, but often they come back with deer instead. They usually go for 2 weeks, carrying a sat phone to arrange a pickup if they're successful sooner.

General routine is to buy airplane time and fly till you find the herd. Set down on the nearest landable water and set up a base camp. Might be a couple of miles to the reindeer or might be ten. Leave camp and head for where you last saw them. Once you get there, start tracking. Meanwhile carry a spike camp good for 5 days and live out of that.

These guys are really good at it and experienced. I doubt I'd try to do it differently if I had the gumption to try a hunt myself.

I've seen them several times and some do have decent antlers. Last year hunters were pretty successful on them and I know of at least a dozen that were killed. We were 75 yards from two nice bulls but due to weather and timing decided to hold off on shooting. There are several access points that are more or less known to be near where the reindeer hang out. Just tell your air taxi operator what you want to do and they can make suggestions on where to put you.