Thread: successful failure

Default successful failure

Well, I just got back from a sheep/moose/bear hunt. I'm calling it a successful failure for the following reasons:

Failures:
    --Didn't shoot anything
    --Buddy's ATV broke down on the first evening about as far from civilization as possible
    --Buddy twisted his ankle pretty good, forcing us to cut the trip short

Successes:
    --Saw tons of sheep, including a possibly legal ram (but couldn't get to him in time)
    --Got buddy's ATV running again
    --Saw scenery too awesome to be described in words or even pictures
    --HAD FUN!

Default Hunt

Congratulations. Any hunt we get to participate in is a success - regardless of whether or not we pull the trigger. Some of my best hunts have been like that.

I would rate your hunt - successful.

I'd like to agree. I consider your hunt successful as well.
    It's been a hard year to get sheep out of sheep country from what I understand, so you are not alone. Trust me (from experience).
    There is always next year and that legal ram has your name written all over it and it'll be ready for you to enjoy his tasty self this time next year!
    Lurker.

I have come to learn that any trip you come home from with most of gear is a good one. As far as sheep goes, thats what makes us do crazy things, like sleeping on the mountains, walking crazy distances, and other stuff only sheep hunter understand. Welcome to the obsession.
    Glad to hear you made it home safe. Can't help but notice that you paid some dues this year. Keep at it and you will run out of wall space before you know it.

Happy Hunting

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I agree. I am finally getting to that point in my life where I can appreciate just getting out there, even if I come home empty handed. Plus I am also starting to figure out hunting in Alaska. It takes awhile, especially for the species like sheep. The only problem is, just as I'm starting to figure things out a little, Uncle Sam tells me it's time to move But not to worry, I shall return. I'm going to get the Alaska Airlines card and start racking up miles...

Speaking of the sheep obsession, anyone interested in planning for next year, or is it too early yet?

Not too early, most good fly-in spots are booked before xmas.
    Good luck and keep at it, takes most people awhile to get it figured out, even with some help it can be tough.

Good Luck

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I dont think you can truly consider yourself a hunter unless you have had a trip or two like that. You pretty much described my fall caribou trip.

Quote Originally Posted by stid2677 View Post
    Not too early, most good fly-in spots are booked before xmas.
    Good luck and keep at it, takes most people awhile to get it figured out, even with some help it can be tough.

Good Luck

Steve
    Yeah, I booked my sheep hunt flight before Xmas last year, and it paid off for me this year, next year considering for the Draw areas, Might get lucky, and draw the TMA tag or 14C, if not, I know some short notice fly-ins for some decent sheep.

Default Ditto Here!

Well, I just got back from a guided hunt in Unit 13 with none other than Jake Jefferson (BRWNBR of the forums here). It was my first trip to Alaska (but not my last!).

The BADs:
    - The weather was wet and windy most every day.
    - We just couldn't hook up on a bear - not even a stalk.
    - Jake pulled up sick on Day Five with some rough intestinal problems. We ended up staying in the tents on Day Six 'cause of it. But... It wouldn't have mattered as we had our worst weather that day.

The GOODs:

- I had an absolute blast out there!
    - I saw lots of caribou, several black bears (all WAY out there), a grizzly sow with two cubs, three (!!!) wolverines, a couple porcupines, a VERY acrobatic red fox, a late-night owl and lots of eagles.
    - We managed to find enough blueberries to fill a large jar for Jake's wife.
    - Jake was a friggin' great guide! Getting to meet him and hunt with him was a true privilege. I would (and will) do it again, without a doubt.

Overall, an utterly amazing experience for me. I have never seen or walked on terrain like that as I'm used to the good ol' hardwoods of Arkansas. The lichen and moss covered moguls, little bogs, slopes and hills everywhere, constant rain - nothing at all like home. Any hunt where you just can't manage to corner your quarry is usually a greater test of your mettle and patience than anything else. I mean, how do you prepare for that? Hey, that's why they call it HUNTING!

Like I said, I had such a good time - AND I got to meet a great new friend. I just have to keep telling myself...

I'LL GET 'EM NEXT TIME!

Now, that is the kind of enthusiasm that all hunters should have..both of you. ArkansasHunter..thanks for being a good client for Jake. I'm sure it means a lot to him for a client to report back with such happiness about a hunt that you got skunked on.

Coming home with meat is always a bonus. Way I see it my 1 major hunt every year counts as my yearly vacation, some take a cruise, some head to the beach...I hit the woods...and at times it is cheaper than a vacation outside the state.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Beats staying home anyday.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

We're heading out in about 34 hours to see if we can bag a sheep. Hopefully the weather cooperates. I've got this nervous/excited/childhood on Christmas day feeling that just won't go away. I only get two weeks of vacation time a year and I would gladly blow it on roaming the woods and mountain tops of AK. Although this year I am going on a cruise. LOL It's a honeymoon so I kind of have to. At least I'm getting the woman out sheep hunting. Ha ha.

Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man Jack View Post
    . Although this year I am going on a cruise. LOL It's a honeymoon so I kind of have to.
    Why not a hunt for two?
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed