Thread: I love moose, and now my son does too...

Default I love moose, and now my son does too...

Just wanted to post about our hunt this weekend... some of our success is due to this forum and all the helpful people/information.

My son (Rick) flew up from Texas to do a reluctant hunt with his Dad (well, step father, but I still couldn't be prouder if he was my flesh and blood). He arrived on Saturday morning 1am and I dragged him out as soon as he got out of bed to go moose hunting.

We got pretty lucky on his second day in Alaska, the third place we stopped (well fairly lucky, I did pre-scout the area last weekend) we walked in to check on two small old oxbows. The first was a bust, some really old sign but the second looked a little more promising and we tried calling a bit with no luck.

We walked into a meadow a bit further off the river (1/4 mile or so) and found a little hill to call from where we could see a good amount of timber.

We were only calling for about 15-20mins when I heard a cow back at the water we had just left, and after calling again I heard a bull not too far from her.

We only had to wait about 5 minutes more and she came out of the spruce like she was on a string, 40yrds away. We were a little concerned when she kept walking towards us and we saw two calves walk out behind her though.

As soon as we saw the calves we stood up and I yelled at her, then saw big brown movement in the spruce. I told Rick I thoght a bull was coming and sure enough he stepped out in the open a second later, don't really think either of us noticed the cow or calves after that... I told him it was a shooter and he told me later he had already decided he wanted him.

Rick was an ace, excited as he was, he waited until he had a good clear shot, more than an eternity for me too. The first shot was dead on, he double lunged the bull at 50 yrds. The bull turned as if to walk away and Rick say "I think I hit him with a good shot?" and I reassured him it was good but just in case I raked once and cow called to him, turning him for another shot from the other side that dropped him like a box of rocks.

Then the fun started, no pack frames, 1/4 mile from the boat, no knife sharpener with us, forgot to get water to drink from the boat, and he won't let me forget any of these oversights... but he was a trooper, the bull went down at 11am and we had him staged on the bank above the boat by 8pm even with taking time for lunch.

I think I'm more proud of that moose than any I shot and Rick is a believer now...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default more pics

few more pics, he also caught 3 pike and a shot 3 grouse.

well worth the price of a non-res tag....

Default one more

and i gotta post one of the boat to tease ya'll on what river we were on... I already know everyone's gonna be guessing...

That is awesome, congrats to you and your son, now the freezer is filled and you can concentrate on a monster bull!!

Awesome job, nothing like spending time with your son and teaching him what you know. Great hunt and great pictures.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

Like the boat shot, that corner does look familiar....**** nice moose, boat too actually, I have a sportsman/sportjet now too, gotta like the optimax.

p.s. You ought to send that boat shot to compeau's, probably use it in their commercials, looks really good. take it easy

Default boat

Quote Originally Posted by fishnhuntr View Post
    Like the boat shot, that corner does look familiar....**** nice moose, boat too actually, I have a sportsman/sportjet now too, gotta like the optimax.

p.s. You ought to send that boat shot to compeau's, probably use it in their commercials, looks really good. take it easy
    Sent craig pics last night... thanks. And your right the Optimax rocks.

Very cool, nice job and congrat's!

Heck of a bull. I'm envious!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Congrats! I love that picture of him sitting on the moose. Very nice pic....it's good to see people do still actually wear jeans while hunting in AK and they didn't die like you'd think with all the advertisements for the "must have" gear or you won't make it out alive.

That boat pic is awesome!

Default in the hewescraft catalog

not trying to sell for Compeau's or Hewescraft but sent in a few pics of my boat to Compeau's and they forwarded up same to Hewescraft and now me and my boat are on page 7 of the '09 Hewescraft catalog thanks to Craig Compeau.

http://www.hewescraft.com/2007/docs/...9_brochure.pdf

Bit suprised but still tickled pink.

B