Thread: Haul Road Question for October

Default Haul Road Question for October

This is our first time going further than the Yukon River Bridge, and we were wondering if any of you knew of any places to pull over with a camper, where to get fuel, what to expect for hunting conditions, and if the limit goes up to 2 bous either sex after the 1st of October. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Terri

Default Questions

Please review the Haul Road Reporting thread and posts in the past week. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=35107

Rut will be beginning in Oct. so the bull will have strong smell and meat will be tough.

I just talked to one of my co-workers at Pump Station 3. It is freezing every night, and warming up in the afternoon. This has been going on for the past 3 weeks.

After you leave Fairbanks, the next place you can get fuel is in Cold Foot, which is about 200 miles North of Fairbanks.

After Cold Foot your next fuel stop is Deadhorse, which is about 250 miles North.

A lot of people I see hunting the Haul Road have 20-25 gallons extra of fuel.

Plan on full winter conditions in October.

Fuel is available at Yukon River, as well as Coldfoot and Prudhoe. Coldfoot to Prudhoe is ~250 miles. The caribou should be in the middle of that.

Limit from July 1-April 30 is 2, but bulls only from July 1-Sept. 30. Any caribou after Oct. 1st.

Plenty of places to pull over and camp, just make sure you aren't blocking access to the pipeline roads for the Alyeska and State folks. You won't find any firewood up there short of some 2" diameter willows, so if you want to warm up by a nice fire, you better plan on bringing it with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post
    Fuel is available at Yukon River, as well as Coldfoot and Prudhoe. Coldfoot to Prudhoe is ~250 miles. The caribou should be in the middle of that.

Limit from July 1-April 30 is 2, but bulls only from July 1-Sept. 30. Any caribou after Oct. 1st.

Plenty of places to pull over and camp, just make sure you aren't blocking access to the pipeline roads for the Alyeska and State folks. You won't find any firewood up there short of some 2" diameter willows, so if you want to warm up by a nice fire, you better plan on bringing it with you.
    Jerod,
    When I worked at PS6 earlier this year, fuel was only availabe from about May-September during the tourist season. The Yukon River camp and Hot Spot should be shutting down about now, if not closed all ready.

So, I recommend that you do not count on getting fuel at the Yukon River in late September/early October. Plan on getting fuel from Cold Foot

Default Haul Road

Quote Originally Posted by Anglette View Post
    This is our first time going further than the Yukon River Bridge, and we were wondering if any of you knew of any places to pull over with a camper, where to get fuel, what to expect for hunting conditions, and if the limit goes up to 2 bous either sex after the 1st of October. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Terri
    As of last week, the caribou 'concentrations' (numerous groups of 25 critters per group) were between PS2 and Franklin Bluffs.

Camping Locations: Yukon, Grayling Lake, Marion Creek, Galbraith Lake, Happy Valley, Last Chance (AKA - potty near PS2), river access near Franklin Bluffs, all have areas you can stop and call camp.
    Plenty
    of places to pull over - just be SURE you are off the road, and be sure you are not blocking any pipeline access.

Fuel Locations: Fairbanks, Fox, Yukon (seasonal, ~200 miles N of Fairbanks), Coldfoot (~200 miles N of Yukon), Deadhorse (~250 miles N of Yukon).
    I drove from Anchorage to Deadhorse. Purchased about 112 gallons of fuel on the road. Spent an average of $5.07 for diesel between Fairbanks and Coldfoot. Didn't buy gas in Deadhorse this year. I had 27 gallons of diesel in cans on a hitch hauler.

Hunting Conditions: Bow only five miles either side of the Dalton highway from North of the bridge until about 2 miles S of Deadhorse (about 300+ miles). Critters are jumpy within 200 yards of the road. Less skittish a mile or so from the road.
    It is sure to be cool, it will probably rain, snow, and be sunny... possibly all in the same day. I returned this past Saturday (6 Sep)... temps were dropping to freezing at night, and warming to mid 40's in the day. The ice fog was from about 11 pm until noon the following day, and flowed from the bay to around Happy Valley.
    There is a constant breeze. Usually about 10 mph or so. Picks up the further North you go. Deadhorse seems to be near 20 mph most of the time.

Limits: Current 2008/09 hunting regs: Page 115, two of any caribou 1 Oct - 30 April. Also be familiar with the corridor restrictions on page 111.

Good luck!

Default Thank you

Thanks, I am really looking forward to this. Will let you all know how we do, even though it is a few weeks away. There is still fish to be caught and after the fishing is done, we will be on our way to CARIBOU COUNTRY!!! hopefully

Default New Question...

1) When/if we get a bou, how much of the animal needs to be brought out?

2) We are bringing a travel trailer with us, is it ok to leave it on the side of the road (out of the way of traffic), or do we need to haul it along with us?

3) Should we bring snow camo, and if we should, where can we get some? We have looked at Sportsmans and NOTHING!

4) what is the average distance for a shot?

Thanks in advance,
    Terri

1. Basically, all edible meat must be salvaged. Middle column, pg 20 of 08/09 regs.
    2. There are plenty of places to pull over to camp. There are a number of Alyeska security gates at many of the pull outs. Please do not block access through the gates. You can pull off to one side of the access road, generally that will be sufficient. As long as Alyeska people and heavy equipment can get through the gates, you will not be asked to move.
    3. Right now, you likely do not need snow camo, but check the Haul Road Reporting thread frequently for current conditions. I will go back to work on 10/2 at Pump Station 3, and will provide frequent updates when I am back at work.
    4. I can't comment on average distance. From previous Haul Road updates, I have seen within 35 yards and further. Check the Haul Road reporting thread. Most guys report results after they get home, and include distances.
    Last edited by BigDaddy; 09-15-2008 at 20:36. Reason: most stuff

Default Set me straight

I must be reading the reg incorrectly, where do you find that the limit is restricted to 2 bulls until Oct 1st? What I read for area 24A is 1 caribou S of Kanuti river and 5 for the remainder. Am I looking at the wrong area? Please advise
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Jerod View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Jackal View Post
    I must be reading the reg incorrectly, where do you find that the limit is restricted to 2 bulls until Oct 1st? What I read for area 24A is 1 caribou S of Kanuti river and 5 for the remainder. Am I looking at the wrong area? Please advise
    Keith
    The typical area that the caribou will be in at that time is unit 26B, north of Atigun Pass.

Default new question

Were heading to the Haul road next week has anyone been seeing any bou???
    long trip for just pictures

Quote Originally Posted by nature calls View Post
    Were heading to the Haul road next week has anyone been seeing any bou???
    long trip for just pictures
    Oh Geeez, another smarty pantz!!! Welcome to the board KevDork!!!

Anglette
    have you tried any of the meat yet?
    just wondering if it was real game like they say.

Quote Originally Posted by gladetop View Post
    Anglette
    have you tried any of the meat yet?
    just wondering if it was real game like they say.
    It's tender, it's a lil gamie, a good sausage cure or jerky cure can fix it. We have been making alot of sausage and jerky. We learned after our first batch of jerky, is to baste it before you put it in the dehydrator. As for the backstraps and steaks, it wasnt too bad. Just make sure you season it well, and the gamie muddy taste will vanish.
    Like I said, it wasn't too bad.