View Poll Results: Is a two year moratorium for cow tags a good idea?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, there should be a two year wait period.

36 37.11%
  • No, cow tag applications should stay the same.

61 62.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cow Tag Survey

Default Cow Tag Survey

Oops, forgot to do the survey button on the bottom of the other post:

Just a little survey to see how many people agree with a two year moratorium for apply for cow tags; it works like this:

If you are awarded a cow tag then you or any family member cannot apply for two years; thus facilitating a higher award rate for new applicants that seem to never get them. There are those that receive them two or even three years in a row and it's a bit unfair to some that have applied for 5+years and never get them. I've discussed this with a few people with mixed results in the conversations, some are vehemently against and others just as passionately for it... what do you all think?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I didn't vote in the poll, I need more information. Isn't there already a one year moratorium on cow tags? Since the drawings are random, would a two year moratorium really make a difference? I'm interested in this discussion.

Tim

Default Random

It's the law of averages; the less competition for a result the higher the probability of success for competitors. There is no restriction on having your lets say, your wife, apply for a cow tag the year after you got awarded one. It's more of a household and extended moratorium to benefit others that have not been awarded a tag.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

You pays your money you takes your chances. With my daughter, my wife and myself putting in for 3 each per year we have drawn 4 in ten years

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    Isn't there already a one year moratorium on cow tags?
    Tim
    If you draw a tag, you are not eligible for that same tag the next year. It doesn't keep you from applying for three other cow tags in other areas.

Since the draw is random, I don't see why people keep complaining about folks getting lucky a couple of years in a row. I have found if I do my homework before I put in for a tag, I do much better. Study the draw percentages and put in for some of the less popular hunts. If you keep putting in for the easy hunts (with a .08% draw rate), consider yourself very lucky if you draw. On the other hand, there are hunts out there with 75-100% draws. They may be harder to access or have motorized vehicle limitations, but your chances are more than slightly better at drawing....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

My average for two people over 7 years. $5 a pop I would say it cost $210 for 4 tags.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Default Interesting

It's interesting to see things almost evenly split; maybe some more feedback and ideas would be in order. I'd like to ammend the original post to the more popular units DM406, 407 & 410 having the two year wait for households in place and keep the rest the same... just a thought.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Its the ANY OTHER family member exclusion i don't like.. if you get a tag your the hunter. honestly i think COW hunts and unit 13 caribou tier 2 hunt should be reserved for KIDS! that way they get an honest chance at becoming successful hunters early
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I vote to eliminate cow tags all together and go to a one bear a year in all areas for brownies, oh and let us bait the calf killers. The brownies are out of control in some areas!!
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

Default Keep it the way it is...

There are plenty of different cow tags out there and I think the odds are good enough as it is. Nothing eliminates us from being able to hunt moose, these are just bonus opportunities as far as I'm concerned. I did not draw one this year, and they took the registration hunt away from our area this year, so we are back to bull only. Almost like the old days, just have to deal with the antler restrictions now.

I really don't see the point of a moratorium for a random draw. We all supposedly have an even chance mathmatically. Cow tags are supposed to be a management tool anyway so who really cares. We all have the choice to spend between 1 and 3 of our possible choices for a cow tag along with the dollars as well. I myself put in three attempts this year for a cow tag (for the first time ever) and was lucky enough to draw DM407. All of that being said, even if a moratorium of some sort were to be imposed I strongly disagree with a household inclusion of any sort. I think that with the publicity Trooper Wooten brought to the situation of "household" harvesting it has been clearly established that each member of the household is a separate hunter. It can't be both ways, am I right?

Default How about

Only One person per house hold can apply for a tag. And if won. anyone from that house hold can shoot it. The playing field would be level. How many moose does a house hold need anyway?

Default Excellent

Quote Originally Posted by AK DUCKMAN View Post
    Only One person per house hold can apply for a tag. And if won. anyone from that house hold can shoot it. The playing field would be level. How many moose does a house hold need anyway?
    I find this to be an excellent idea! This is the reason I started the thread to see what ideas could be generated to improve the current system. Not that the system is broken; but there's room for improvement in all things, right?

Here's my idea:
    Make it so only women can apply for cows, men for bulls and children for calves!!! Great idea yes????

OK, so that was a joke. I like the idea of 1 cow tag per household and letting anyone in that household that has a license shoot the cow. It would be a great way to get more women and children introduced to hunting. I didn't vote in the poll.

The cow hunts in 20A have had a negative impact on the bull moose hunting. I have talked to several folks that hunt the rex and they all say the same thing, that the cows being killed there have caused the bulls to stay further back in the unhunted areas. Think about it, if all the ladies at the local bar stop showing up are the guys still going there to look. I'm all for meat in the freezer, but the cow killing here is hurting the bull hunting. Just MHO.

Steve
    "I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

stid, I think you have a good point, we were discussing that last year. We were thinking that moose are mobile enough that more would move into the high cow harvest areas due to less competition. Hopefully the effects of the cow harvests won't be long lived.

Warm temps will also keep the bulls closer to the hills and in the timber. It's to early to tell what kind of affect the cow hunt has had on the bulls. I hope F&G plan on doing some more research on this before they implement anymore cow hunts for 2009.

Default If I was King...

Tier II goes away.

Those claiming the subsistance lifestyles can earn a either sex single moose or two caribou tags for the GMU of their choice...these tags are passed out at the ADF&G sealing station. Bring in 3 black bear, 2 grizz, or 5 wolf hides and you get a permit. Double the required kill and you double your tags...triple the kill and you get 2 round trip tickets to Maui next spring. I you kill no preditors, how can you truely claim you're really living the subsistance lifestyle? Stick with your canned spam and pilot bread and stop with the whining.

For the non-substistence type...same game...bring your hides into the sealing station. The top ten preditor control winners get a trophy bull moose permit for Kincaid Park...your choice of bow, crossbow, or slug...we're going to keep the skiiers out for a week. For winners 11-20 the 2nd prize is 10 more any moose permits...this time we're shooting on the Elmendorf golf course. Seasons for both of these "incentive" hunts start Sept 20 and end Oct 10. You can use 4 wheelers in Kincaid, but are required to rent golf carts for the Elmendorf hunt...no guttilng on the fairways guys.

When are folks going to wake up and start mounting gattling guns on the struts of their super cubs? In the old days Alaskan pioneers like Don Sheldon killed more wolves in one year than the combined permit hunters last year. If we want hunting to return to what it was in the good old days we need to drop the teddy bear mentality. ADF&G needs to start selling furs instead to taking problem bears on expensive helicopter rides...that's how they have ruined GMU 16b.

How about we ditch McCain, and I'll run as Sarah's VP?

Quote Originally Posted by gutpile View Post
    Tier II goes away.

Those claiming the subsistance lifestyles can earn a either sex single moose or two caribou tags for the GMU of their choice...these tags are passed out at the ADF&G sealing station. Bring in 3 black bear, 2 grizz, or 5 wolf hides and you get a permit. Double the required kill and you double your tags...triple the kill and you get 2 round trip tickets to Maui next spring. I you kill no preditors, how can you truely claim you're really living the subsistance lifestyle? Stick with your canned spam and pilot bread and stop with the whining.

For the non-substistence type...same game...bring your hides into the sealing station. The top ten preditor control winners get a trophy bull moose permit for Kincaid Park...your choice of bow, crossbow, or slug...we're going to keep the skiiers out for a week. For winners 11-20 the 2nd prize is 10 more any moose permits...this time we're shooting on the Elmendorf golf course. Seasons for both of these "incentive" hunts start Sept 20 and end Oct 10. You can use 4 wheelers in Kincaid, but are required to rent golf carts for the Elmendorf hunt...no guttilng on the fairways guys.

When are folks going to wake up and start mounting gattling guns on the struts of their super cubs? In the old days Alaskan pioneers like Don Sheldon killed more wolves in one year than the combined permit hunters last year. If we want hunting to return to what it was in the good old days we need to drop the teddy bear mentality. ADF&G needs to start selling furs instead to taking problem bears on expensive helicopter rides...that's how they have ruined GMU 16b.

How about we ditch McCain, and I'll run as Sarah's VP?
    Pilot Bread and Spam? Are you seriously this ignorant and offensive? As part native I'm pretty offended by your obvious racist remark, as a man; I'm shocked that you have the audacity to say such a disrespectful thing in a public forum. Keep your comments to yourself if you feel the racist coming out. This is supposed to be an exchange of ideas and opinion, not a platform for ranting/raving like an idiot. We would do well without people like you feeding your toxic sewage into conversations.

Well said Rob! Fools like Gutpile need to be told. Open minded people see these people for what they are. The more we speak up, the faster they will get the point. If they have any brain cells left.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast