Thread: WACH Report Sept 10 2008

Thumbs up WACH Report Sept 10 2008

Good morning guys. I want to apologies to you as my report has been very “Generic” in the past week. I have had poor communication with the guys who I rely on for the report and hopefully this will give you some better info.

I talked wit 2 flight services and NPS law enforcement last night and all report that the country has very good numbers of bou moving through it. The Kug and the Kelly are both thick with scattered groups, most numbering in at 50-75 animals. The upper benches in the Squirral and most of the passes are running with continuous streams of caribou but they are very thick with hunting groups. This is normal and if you don’t mind hearing other camps in your area you should do fine but I personally would not like it. The Aggi and Ellt which are referred as the Noatak Flats, are also getting hammered with hunters but there are large numbers of bou working through that area also. I had a group of hunters who hunted the Ohmar River last weekend And bagged 6 bulls with one scoring 373 B & B and one scoring 325. They had to work very hard as the animals were spread way out and they put about 8-10 miles of boot work into these animals but they saw some very high quality bulls in 4 days.

I do not have any reports from the upper Noatak but I will work on that soon. The Kobuk river and Selawik Refuge is seeing lots of animals coming through. I talked with some friends who are from Noorvik and they report that the animals are passing with in 5 miles of the town and heading towards Spud Farm (Selawik area), might consider the Selawik Wildlife Refuge as a possibility.

The one area that if empty is the Wulik River. Almost no caribou up there but the Moose are coming in for sure.

Well there you have it, the forecast is good hunting and the temps are seasonal but no crappy weather!

Good Luck and let me know if you need anything.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Is there an official caribou scorer for B&C in Kotz, Walt? How can the successful hunters get a hold of him to have their rack scored?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    Is there an official caribou scorer for B&C in Kotz, Walt? How can the successful hunters get a hold of him to have their rack scored?

Yes: Paul Atkins is an official and he teaches Math right next to me and will be happy to score your bull if he is huge. He has all of the official paper work and his # is 442-2325.

Default how many...

hunters are going to stick around until the antlers have dried to make it a truly official score? Or is the waiting period only for bear skulls?

Pretty sure there is a 60 day drying period for ANY trophy, bear, bou, bison, etc. So my guess is any score taken right after the hunt is slightly premature, tho is a good starting point to let a hunter know what he's got. Since Walt's friend is an official scorer, you should be able to get a good idea if your trophy is B&C quality or not. Any green measurement will be high, and scores will get lower as time goes on. I've heard there are several times a trophy is measured before it really goes into a book, either the 3 yr book, or the final book. Each measurement/score taken becomes the NEW official score for that trophy.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Moose on the Loose!

I just returned from NW Aviation dropping off hunters and gear. There was a group who just returned from the Kelly River with a huge payload of horns and meat! These 3 guys bagged 3 bou and the largest moose that I have ever seen. This monster measured out at 78 inches! I kid you not…78 inches! The guy who bagged it worked at calling this big boy in for 2 days and was actually trying to draw in a second, larger one.

Besides the moose they also bagged 3 nice bou one who was easily a 350 B & C also from the Kelly. They reported that the Kelly was running full of bands of 75-100 animals most whom were bulls. Lots of great hunting and the temps are high at 45 and night time lows of 30 now! Sweet!

Walt

Default Pictures Walt

Walt we need pictures of this Massive Bull

Default No kidding

Alright Walt, we all get a little carried away with our hunting stories so let’s set the record right. I believe it was my Dad you spoke to that morning there at NW Aviation. We had just returned from the Kelly River with the greatest hunt of our lives. The bull I dropped after spotting and calling for 2 days was only 73 inches but none the less a big bull. There was a bigger bull out there but we never got close to bringing him in, he was still 2 plus miles out from us. As it was I shot this bull 2 miles from camp. Thankfully there was 4 us in our party of 6 that were still young and stupid enough to pack such a moose that far. Twelve hours from the time we put him down to the time we had him all back in camp.

As for the caribou, in our eight days up there we saw a group of 12-14 bulls (which we took six of) and one group of 8 -10 cows. Other than that the land was pretty spares for caribou in the Kelly area. The group of bull caribou happened upon us as we were all eating dinner in camp so everybody got one. As for B&C bulls I don't think any of ours quite made that but they were nice bulls as it were.

No exaggeration on the weather and temps though.. you got that part right.
    Kelly River Hunt Bricks 204.jpg

Kelly River Hunt Bricks 085.jpg

Default Great moose

Caleb,

Outstanding Moose. Thanks for setting us straight on the story. I't seems Walt gets a little excited and likes to expand on the story some. Maybe just a little sales pitch going on?

Default Exaggeration

Everyone tends to get excited when there are BIG animals. The only people who beat out fishermen on exaggeration are the hunters. But - who cares???

ps. Walt - Are you a school teacher?

Talking Ok Caleb!

The only reason I used the 78 inch mark was you dad said he ran out of tape measure at 72 inches an thought it was about 6 inches larger. You are making me sound silly! It was the biggest Bull I have ever seen period and worth bragging about! Packing that animal must have been a labor of love!

Phil: I teach science at Kotzebue Middle/High School.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Your best bet in rafts, canoes and camp rentals
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Talking Walt

My dad swears he wouldn't exaggerate like that. I may have made a mistake in not factoring in that you got your info from him.