Thread: Why You Should Check The Weather

Default Why You Should Check The Weather

Short movie clip taken during our summer outting to Alaska .....this one is shot when we went fishing for silver salmon from Seward ....Just shows how a small craft can get out of its depth

cheers

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X0NYyZTuao

Cool. How big were the waves/ two boats?

Actually it didnt look all that bad, a little snotty and bumpy but well within the safety and confort margins of the (fairly large) boats.

Now I wouldnt take my little 17' boat out in waves like that, my limit is 2.5-3 foot seas and even thats a dang bumpy (and slow) ride. Just gotta make sure the cover is buttoned up in the front to shed the occasional water that comes in over the bow. Air ride seats make a heck of a difference too.

On the other hand I've been on all size boats for 40 years and my version of comfort might not match most others....

That does not look that bad. How high were the seas?? any one want to take a guess?? It looks like the boats are more than big enough to handle that kind of seas at the time. I am not an expert! any one who is care to comment?

didnt look any bigger then 4 footers...but its hard to tell. That C-dory was plenty capable to handle that water. Very sea-worthy boats. and the charter boat was obviously plenty big enough.

Yeah, that doesn't look too bad at all. For perspective, I believe that's a 25-foot C-Dory following, with a 8.5 ft beam and a height of over 7 feet. And while C-Dory's are well known for being very sea worthy, they are also known for pounding badly in the chop if the Captain tries to drive them too fast. Slow 'em down and they are much more comfortable.

...looks like about 3-3.5 foot seas... maybe 4 ft, but I doubt it.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Yeah, I gotta jump in and agree that's not bad. I seriously doubt those are even four footers. It's not fun, but it's not dangerous in either of those boats. C-Dory's are a little more flat in the bottom, so they ride a little sloppy, but that guy is well within the boats safety limits.

One thing about folks with faster boats is that they tend to want to always go that fast...sometimes the weather doesn't let you. I've noticed a lot of charter skippers, especially the smaller six-pack ones, race in and out, and the client and the boat get pounded to hell. That C-Dory following behind is actually getting the easier ride letting the charter break waves, which I'm sure is why they are where they are. If both boats slowed to half of what they were going, it would probably be more comfy, but you might run out of day, too....

My family has had 22' and 27' Seasports, 24' Bayliner, and 32' Nordic Tug...the tug was slow, but it taught me something about managing waves....faster isn't always better.

Default Fillet glove

The orientation of the fillet glove I thought was a nice touch!

Default just be prepared

So darn unpridictable
    Attached Images Attached Images
    fshrman

FSHRMAN
    How big are the waves in that pic??

Default those are...

...RFBW I do believe.

Now THOSE are waves to worry about....

Couldn't even imagine trying to navigate a 20-some foot boat in that...

And LOL to Bullelkklr....yes, I think those qualify

Default Kodiak in the background

CG said 35' I'M not gona get out there with a tape
    fshrman

I love my C-Dory.... They actually ride very nicely if you "listen" to the hull. I agree with the others, those waves are not that bad (not the ones in the picture - they are snotty). I have been in way worse than those in the video in my C-Dory.

Default My 2 cents

I have to agree with the "not too bad" group. I guess if you are not used it, its a different story. With people sleeping on the way back in? That ain't rough.
    The C Dory was behind for one reason.... The captain isn't stupid. I am not a fan of there hull design.... like my ex.... way too FLAT!! If ya wanna a good vid, let the C Dory break trail!
    It is very surprising that we don't have more deaths with the amount people who ignore or don't bother checking the weather. I have seen folks going out lately in "small craft advisories" in boats I wouldn't float in Big Lake.
    Well, thats my 2 cents!!