Thread: Lake Clark - Turquoise Lake to Twin Lakes

Default Lake Clark - Turquoise Lake to Twin Lakes

I'm scoping out a "short" point to point trip for summer 2009 and am interested in this traverse. I'm curious as to how difficult the navigation is and what type of terrain one would need to cross. My wife and I have done a number of fly-in trips in WSE, Denali, GAAR, but have not done a point-to-point hike in AK yet. Is this one a reasonable hike in terms of terrain and navigation? The mileage looks short, maybe 10-15 miles, but unclear if there are specific places we'd need to hit in order to ford streams, etc. We may have a packraft with us, as well.

Any info would be appreciated. thanks!

Default t2t

alaska alpine adventures guides in that area, maybe get in touch with them.

Default thanks!

appreciate the pointer. Not looking for a guided trip, but maybe I can at least chat with them. Thanks for the reply!

Give a call to the Port Alsworth office of Lake Clark National Park & Preserve, 781-2218. John Branson is a historian there who has done a lot of hiking and backcountry travel in the park, summer and winter. Leon Alsworth is a pilot who grew up in that country and would have solid advice. We usually staff a ranger station at lower Twin Lakes in the summer and fall; see if that person is still around and they would have some up-to-date conditions, too.

If you do get over to Twin Lakes, a stop at the Proenneke cabin is fun. He did some amazing work there. There are also nice day (or longer) hikes up in the alpine that I've done heading south(ish) toward the Kijik.

I'll second that, call the park folks in Port Alsworth and they'll give you some info on what to expect. Stream crossings shouldn't be too bad if you go in late May or early June, much later than that and the snow melt will have the water a bit higher. It's still possible but you'll have to pick your crossings more carefully. The outlet of Lower Twin Lake is usually wadeable in all but the peak of the summer flow season. You'll have no problems with terrain and navigation. Turquoise is gorgeous, especially from the air! You'll cross tundra on part of the hike between the two lakes. Another option for a bit longer hike is to go from Telaquana Lake to Twin or even Telaquana to Turquoise. Telaquana is the next lake north of Turquoise.

Default thanks!

Thanks so much for chiming in. I will call the ranger station and see if it's not too late to catch somebody there. These are helpful tips and I'm starting to narrow down my plans. It sounds like an amazing area for sure!