Thread: Tailwheel when on ski's

Default Tailwheel when on ski's

Which tailwheel is better when using ski's or does it depend of the function and type of snow, A scott 3200 or a GarAero bush wheel?

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    Which tailwheel is better when using ski's or does it depend of the function and type of snow, A scott 3200 or a GarAero bush wheel?

Terry
    I'm a fan of any tail ski over no tail ski. I prefer penetration tail skis, and those are limited to standard sized tail wheels.

Landes used to make a penetration ski and I believe a straight ski too. Burl's makes a great straight ski in a couple of sizes. Ray's over at Wasilla makes a nice penetration ski that I've used for several seasons with no complaints.
    Penetration ski gives much better steering on rough ice and semi-packed snow. Also adds a little extra cush with the tire contact on the really hard stuff.

You've got it upside down. Landes makes straight tail skis, the kind you lace on to your tail fork with bungee cord. Burl makes his Magnum penetration skis that bolt on to your standard Scott 8" tail wheel assembly. I'm not familiar with the Wasilla guy. Federal made an aluminum penetration ski and you see lots of them around. I've seen guys fashion their own straight skis using shovel heads and they seem to work fine. Depending on the airplane, tail skis are somewhere between convenient and absolutely necessary. The heavier the tail, the more you need a tail ski.

Why not run a tail ski? If your on ski's use ski's. All the talk about directional control loss with a tail ski is in the pilot. Burls is a great rig if your flyin wheel skis or later on in the spring when you can lose your snow at the strip but fly up to the snow.
    Attached Images Attached Images