Thread: For those of you who have....

Question For those of you who have....

....flown out of Happy Halley with Deltana Outfitters for DIY caribou...can you please share your experience as far as logistics, country hunted, cover (if any because we usually bowhunt)....and how you felt about their service in general?

I have hunted up North quite a bit but have never flown off the road that far North, only East of the SAG from Galbraith Lake for sheep. I have a friend coming from overseas to hunt with me next fall and was thinking of using Deltana to fly us out to get off the road and away from the crowds.

We would just do the 5 mile walk....but if you have ever seen a seal floundering on the beach..yea...that would be me walking across the tundra for five miles...not pretty...

I appreciate any response! Thanks folks....

Default Deltana

I went out with Deltana this fall with my teen daughter. We didn't get a bull but I don't think it was Deltana's doing. The pilots were good, they put us in a decent location (got to see tons of cows and calfs) but several days of abnormal heat split the migration and the bulls disappeared. It was hard to find them even for the fully guided clients.

As a transport client you play second fiddle to their bigger money clients that are fully guided for bou or sheep... That is a normal thing and not a bad reflection upon Deltana... Ralph is a character but his pilots and help are excellent.

I would go with them again without an issue.

Greg

ttttttt.....

May also want to look at Alaska Bush Sports, I have used Mike a couple times and done well... His prices were cheaper than Deltana, and I have had two really good trips with him... Good Luck

Is Mike with Alaska Bush Sports up there out of Happy Valley this year?

Default Mike

Mike was up there but was flying his guys out using Alaska Air Taxi. I don't know if he is planning to do his own flying next year or not. I didn't ask him directly. I assume that is his intention. But you know what they say about assumptions. I guess a guy could just call him. He was planning to leave Happy Valley the first couple days in Sept. so he should be here in town or out in King Salmon.

Phil in Anchorage

[quote=AK145;333222].... I have a friend coming from overseas to hunt with me next fall

AK145,

Is your friend a non-resident alien? If so, you can't take him hunting, Aliens require a Registered guide for ALL big game. Careful you don't get yourself in trouble, and disapoint a friend that thinks he can come hunt in Alaska with you.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...fs/general.pdf
    page 10 * See note relating to non resident aliens.

[quote=supercub driver;338085]
    Quote Originally Posted by AK145 View Post
    .... I have a friend coming from overseas to hunt with me next fall

AK145,

Is your friend a non-resident alien? If so, you can't take him hunting, Aliens require a Registered guide for ALL big game. Careful you don't get yourself in trouble, and disapoint a friend that thinks he can come hunt in Alaska with you.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...fs/general.pdf
    page 10 * See note relating to non resident aliens.
    Good catch and good advice.

Default Last week in August

Myself and two other guys used them this August 24-30 and had a good experience with them. All three of us got the caribou we wanted. The pilots were great. Deltana seemed like they had done the scouting beforehand and made their final decision the night before as to where they would put us in to give us the best opportunity for success. Again, we had a good hunt and would go with them again in the future. I'll send you a PM with my web address for pictures and my write up of the hunt. When we got flown out, we were able to talk to another group of drop off hunters that used Deltana and were flown out ahead of us, and the two of them each had two nice bulls also.

[quote=AVALANCHE;338089]
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub driver View Post

Good catch and good advice.
    No...he's not. He is stationed there in the US Marines.