Thread: Rem XCR or Kimber montana or Ruger M77

Default Rem XCR or Kimber montana or Ruger M77

Looking to buy a .338 and wondering what the crowd thinks on the different brands I am looking at.
    Oppinions on the functionality, overall performance and whatnot.
    Thanks

Default XCR

I have the M77 Mark2 in 338 and my father-in-law has the XCR in 375. The XCR just has a better fit and finish from the factory than the Ruger. The ruger can be slicked up with some elbow grease and it has the controled feed mauser bolt so I don't think you will go too wrong either way.

I have several of each in various calibers. My experience has been that the remington 700s are consistently better rifles.

There are a lot of guys on this site that beat up the Remingtons. I have owned rifles of each make. My preference still lies with the Rem's. They have never let me down in over 28 years!

I have 2 of the 3, M77 all weather 30-06 and the XCR in 375 H&H. Both are nice overall and both shoot well (sub 1 inch groups at 100 yrds). I think the M77 is cheaper by the cost of a good scope. I would buy them again if I need to. Happy shopping.

Ron

Default XCR

Just finished my .338 XCR, shoots 3/4 inch with Federal Trophy Bonds. Will start working on reloads after hunt in 2 weeks. I did pillar bed and change out the trigger, but very happy so far.

Default Never had a problem with a Remington...

However, I have had a problem with a Ruger. And based on my experience with this particular rifle, and their service department, they do not care about their customers. Just got off the phone with them again yesterday. Sent the rifle back for the 3rd (and final) time in July and still haven't heard anything back. So I call them up and talk to one of the rudest women I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Bill Ruger is turning in his grave. I say go with the Remington. If you look back through the old posts, you'll see the Kimbers have a hit or miss record, but you'll find very little negative about the Remington XCR.

I have an older Model 700 in .270 and a Ruger All-Weather Mark II in .350 RM Both are accurate and reliable.. The Model 700 was my first rifle and I have been to he hills and back with it many times. The Ruger was a recent purchase and was little rough in the metal finish department. I spent about a day polishing and now it is as slick as my well worn Remington.

I am sorry the previous poster has had such a bad time with Ruger...personally I haven't had any problems with them or their service dept.

Owned a Rem700 for 25 years and has never let me down once. Owned my Ruger M77 mkII for 9 years and love it, SS is necessary in AK's conditions, and I would buy one in a heartbeat.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

I don't know how true this is but I have heard that Kimber's did indeed have problems, but some corrections were made at the factory at around the serial number 12,000 and they are now much better.

Brent

I wonder is there much difference between the Remington 700 SPS stainless steel and the XCR?

I know the XCR has the Hogue Grip on the stock but you could easily put some skateboard tape on the SPS stock.

The XCR has a special Trinyte stainless steel finish, but does it really matter?

Both are not free floating but have a pressure point on the front of the stock, there will be some reason why the rifles don't come free floated from the factory. So I am not sure if bedding would improve accuracy in hunting situations.

I now have two Ruger M77s,three M-700s and couple M-70s and have had a couple of Kimber Montanas. Besides a few Mausers, CZs and Husqvarnas.

The Rugers took a little work to feed smoothly.
    The Kimbers had odd little defects that were eventually fixed but made me question their quality control.
    The Remingtons are pretty darn good right out of the box. They feed smoothly and do not have the hang-up on the second round out of the magazine like many other new rifles seem to have.
    The one problem I ever had with any Remington was a stock failure (B&C stock on a mountain rifle) and they sent me a new stock immediately.
    I would buy another new Remington sight unseen. I will not buy one of the others unless I can give it a pretty good pre-buy inspection.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thumbs up Remington!

Out of the three makes in question here, the Remington is the only one that is not a controlled round feed, which is justifiably a requirement of some. Nevertheless I personally would hands down choose a Remington over the other two. I have used them for years and I have had nothing but great luck with them. Reliable and ACCURATE! I have had fair luck with Ruger rifles. My wife has the only one I have in my house at this time and we have had good luck with it. Its a no go in my book on Kimbers. I don't like anything about them. I have had direct experience with more than one and I am personally not impressed. The Montana's don't even make good boat anchors, they are to light! Some have had good luck with them, many have not.

I own a model 770 30-06. It was not a gun I picked out, my wife bought it for me for my b-day. The bolt on it is not very smooth and it hangs up when trying to chamber another round, you really have to baby it. This is a very inexpensive gun and that is probably why the quality is not very good, I can't speak for the other models rem. makes. I do own a ruger m77 .338 and it is a decent gun, but I recently bought a Browning A-bolt in .270 WSM and the quality of this gun exceeds the Rem. and Ruger.

Have owned all 3 rifles in question and they all have their positives and negatives. Since we are talking 338's, I currently own a Ruger M77 338, it wears a custom Mcmillan Swirly stock, it has iron sights installed on it, Warne QD rings, and the trigger has been worked. It shoots MOA or better with most factory ammo and "IS" CRF. If I had to take one gun into Alaska backcountry for a overly extended period it would be my Ruger hands down. They are as solid and dependable as it gets, plus IME (with a lot of different guns) the stainless on the M77's pre Hawkeye is some of the toughest stainless out there and resists rust in an impressive manner. Here is a link with some pics of my Ruger

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ighlight=ruger