Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hatfield rifle. . . ?

Default Hatfield rifle. . . ?

Do any of you guys know anything about Hatfield black powder rifles? I have a .36 caliber, full-stocked flintlock and would like to know its current value.

Default hatfield

I think I remember the hatfield as a semi custom, nice sparktosser if I remember correctly. I don't know the going rate for one but I imagine it should have a good resale if it's in good shape as I believe they went out of business for one reason or other in the 90's. Sam Fadala was quite a fan of the small bore hatfield and put it on the cover of his black powder bible book as well as mentioned how much he liked it quite often. How about a picture for us to see??

Default Sounds right. . .

I believe you've got it. . . sounds right. It'll take me a bit, but I'll post a photo. The rifle is in good shape, has had less than ten balls run through it.

I went looking and found simply too many references to "Hatfield rifle" to be much help- extending all the way back to the originals and up to at least one current inline claiming Hatfield roots. TC1's question and your answer clear it up a bit. Sounds like recent manufacture, but a good one. Is this the one once produced by Austin Halleck, or one from Hatfield in Missouri?

Small caliber is a plus or minus in gun value, depending on who you talk to. I'm a sincere fan of the small ones, so yours sounds especially interesting. Is yours cap or flint?

Default The Hatfield. . .

My Hatfield is a flintlock. The top of the barrel, just ahead of the breech, and the lockplate are marked simply "Hatfield." Below "Hatfield" on the lockplate is "Warranted." Can find no other markings except "Black powder only" in small letters on the side of the barrel.

Checked this url, and it sounds like my rifle: http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol3no1/...s/mbo31-2.html

I initially saw the gun at the Shot Show held in Atlanta back around 1986 or so. Loved its looks the quintessential Kentucky Rifle. A year or so later, worked out a trade with a guy wherein I made him a cherry desk, and he procured the gun for me. Shot it less than ten times. I'll get a picture or two posted as soon as my "tech support" gets back in town my son, who's due back the first of next week.

That's a really fine looking rifle, and obviously well regarded by the reviewer. If they sold for $900 when that was written in '98, I'd sure be tempted not to go any lower in evaluating trades or sales. But heck, I wouldn't say that if I wasn't already swimming in small calibers and wanted it myself! It looks like a really fine arm in an appealing caliber for anyone who already has the big stuff, but wants to extend their ML hunting into small game seasons. Here in AK, priming powder for a flinter can be a problem, so that might be a minus. Can't tell you if there's any kind of collector interest, though.

Default That's it. . .

Just clicked on the photo in the url noted above, and that's my Hatfield, except that mine is .36 caliber. Anyone wanting to see the rifle can go to this url:
    http://www.muzzleblasts.com/vol3no1/.../mbo31-2a.html

Default hatfield

I believe it's a hatfield, Missouri rifle. They had a good reputation so if you wanted to sell it I'm sure it would go quickly at a fair price but why would you want to sell such a thing?? I've always wanted a little .32 for small game but haven't gotten that far yet. I've had my Jackie brown smoothbore for many years and I couldn't imagine parting with it. There's just something about those fowlers and longrifles, such beauty, history, and the alure of the good ol' days.

Red face Maybe, maybe not. . .

Well, I don't know that I do want to sell the gun, just yet anyway. It truly is a thing of grace and beauty. But I'm at an age where if I don't start getting rid of some of this stuff, the kids will end up putting it in a garage sale.

Now that I'm pretty sure what the rifle is, does anyone know where one could check out what fair market value might be? Dealer? Magazines?

Default Another resource. . .

Sent my question to the folks at Muzzle Loader magazine, and they referred me www.gunbroker.com for comparison shopping. An interesting site. . .

Default I'm a Hatfield

If you ever do put it up for sale will you e-mail me first.

Thank you
    Wayne Hatfield

And yes I'm one of those Hatfields

Hey Marcus and Wayne:

I thought I would tip you that there's a used Hatfield for sale right now over at Track of the Wolf.

Default hatfield rifle

I had a chance to buy a Hatfield about 10 years ago, and procastrinated too long. The quailty was pretty good, when Hatfield was not having problems with demon rum, as a friend of mine puts it. I understand he went under for that reason. Then A&H (cousins of Hatfield) brought out their rifles. I have one, the Mtn Rifle, which shoots good, (50 cal. I use Musket caps with as would not fire reliablely with #11s). I do not know that the Hatfields are collectible, and are only worth what you and a prospective buyer are willing to agree on. The one I could have bought was $300.00 at the time. A true custom MLer which will, or should, duplicate some style, and will start in the $2k range, and go up quickly from there. $5k for a real custom MLer not hard to spend.

I had seen one of these Hatfield flinters in Auctionarms.com a while back,was a twin to My Hatfield perc. so thought if it stayed in the $600.00 range would pick it up,got up the next morning and ckd on it and it was over $1400.00 and the auction closed at over $1600.00.
    seems like the 32s in the flint go high as I had been checking a few others on the various firearms auction sites.
    My Hatfield uses a 10.75 cap and have never had a missfire with it

Default Hatfield .36 caliber rifle for sale...

I have a .36 Hatfield Flintlock rifle that I would like to sell. It is in great condition and has a beautiful stock. I'm not sure what to ask at this point but that could be worked out. It has a purple gun sock with a hatfield patch with a squirrel on it. There are some holes in the sock but it is a neat accessory.

If anyone would like pictures or more information you can email me at:

ryangs@mac.com

Thanks!

Must have been that Sam Fadala book but I recall seeing a .36 Hatfield flintlock on a book cover and fell in love with it! The most beautiful, elegant (that's OK for a gun, right?) rifle I've ever seen! That maple stock is what I especially liked, though the svelt shape was nice too. Just thought I'd throw that out.

Dave

P.S.-Welcome aboard Wayne!
    Last edited by AKWannabe; 08-31-2007 at 22:32. Reason: added PS

I have an interest in purchasing a Hatfield flintlock, if I can afford one. Pictures and price and condition description can be sent to:
    e-mail: jtheriault@ec.rr.com confidentially
    Jerry new member:terrio

In your shoes, I'd be real careful. There are Hatfield rifles, and then there are Hatfield rifles. The early ones were made with Douglas premium barrels and real quality hardware. After financial setbacks and IIRC a change in ownership or two, the later ones were made with cheap imported barrels, worse hardware, and mediocre inletting quality. The early ones are well worth the inflated parts, while the later ones are on par with Traditions guns. And of course, if you ask the owner, every single rifle is an early one. Buyer beware and know what you are buying. There's a long stretch between the name on the barrel and the quality under it in many cases.

I happen to have a Hatfield .36 flintlock that I am just starting to look into off loading for my father. I am looking at those gun auction sites but none of them seem to clearly lay out the proceedures.
    I know very little about this rifle and have never personally shot it. I do know that this was a Christmas gift for him in the late 70's (1978 I think). It has been shot a few times and you can tell by the marks on it where the flint swings down, otherwise it is flawless.
    I have seen similar ones sell for around $1000, but nothing really is clear on this. There is no serial number on it at all and only a few markings total. The barrel is marked Hatfield .36, alongside the barrel where it meets the stock is stamped 'Black Powder Only' and above the trigger it says 'Hatfield' and underneath that it says 'Warranted'.
    Feel free to email me, I havent taken any photos yet but it would only take a few minutes.

ryantesson@hotmail.com

BrownBear,
    Do you know what the date ranges would be to check against the quality?

Quote Originally Posted by thatone View Post
    BrownBear,
    Do you know what the date ranges would be to check against the quality?
    I don't, but there's been lots of discussion on and off on the web from folks lots more knowledgeable than me. If you go to a site called The Muzzleloading Forum and register, their search function should dredge up lots that will help.

BTW- If you can figure out how to remove the barrel from the stock, often there are markings on the bottom of the barrels of muzzleloaders right in front of the breech.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast