Thread: trout patterns

Default trout patterns

hey all!

just looking for input on patterns for trophy rainbows...
    ...preferably easy to tie in mass quantities...

going out to the Alagnak for 10 days and want to be prepared.

thanks and happy fishing!

Default patterns

What time of year are you going? It might help with suggestions.

Jake

sorry... going out 9/20-9/30

was there same time last year... art. leeches and flesh worked best...

just curious if anyone has any killer patterns to try something new. preferably something simple and quick, yet effective and deadly.

also, any opinions on upturned or downturned hook eyes? will it make that much difference how the pattern fishes...?

thanks again.

Default killer

Try tying some dolly llamas....i don't know if you have fished them before but they are absolutely phenomenal. Black and white and all white are my favorite rainbow patterns. Make sure to use strong braid in the articulation cause it will come apart. I've never tied my own but this is the main problem with the store bought ones....these are by far my favorite fly for any alaskan species ESPECIALLY big bows. Let me know how it goes tying some and if you have any new colors i'd love to try them for you i was thinking a flesh pattern with dirty white brown or maybe a really pale pink and white.

Default ...the cats outta da bag!

thanks for your input.

yea... Dolly's are freakin' awesome... accounted for more than half of all our fish last year... I've tied a few before and am experimenting with different colors... mainly darker ones like olive/wht and dk red/wht... although I still think blk/wht is by far superior. tying articulated hooks is very time consuming... I'm hoping to find a pattern as effective as the Dolly but with less intensive tying techniques...

...most of the Dollys I've tied already are smaller, sz 6 hook and non-articulating... hoping the bunny hair provides enough MWM action...

Default sweet colors

If your looking to buy some alaska fly fishing goods has some unique colors and sizes. They have a great pink/white, purple/pink/ and tan/brown that i have not seen anywhere else. Good local Juneau business too. Check them out if you need some ideas or would like to try some new colors. I had an all white one that got stained brown/white by accident and it has killed the fish lately....i don't know what it is about that fly but EVERYTHING loves it.