Thread: Places not to shoot

Default Places not to shoot

South of North pole past the flood channel there is a gravel road on the right. I goes to the confluence of piledriver slough and the tannana. People frequently shoot here. They usually shoot down the gravel road towards the tannana. There is NO backstop. I have seen bullets hit the water in front of my boat. I have rode four weelers across the river from here with my kids and herd the gunshots. I knew the idiots were shooting in our general direction with NO BACKSTOP.
    I have confronted several people that were shooting there with mixed results. This spot is conveniantly close to my house for launching my boat, four wheeling, fishing, and hunting.
    Please do not shoot here.
    Any ideas how to curb this behavior. I have thought of returning fire when I was down range from the idiots but the fear of geting caught got the better of me.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by wolfkiller View Post
    Any ideas how to curb this behavior.
    make a polite sign "unsafe to shoot--hidden rec area beyond" and maybe suggest a nearby alternative informal area that is safe. Pick up shooting debris.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have to agree with Jimhoff and the sign idea. What ever you do make sure the language is “friendly and nice”. If you post a sign that says “no shooting” it will likely be blasted full of holes within a week or so, but if you post something that says “caution, children frequent this area, please no recreational shooting” or some similar verbiage it might make them think twice.

The best scenario would be if you could find the shooters and have a civil and friendly talk with them, and let them know that you have had many close calls over the years and kindly implore them to take their shooting elsewhere. I think if you are calm and friendly you would have a good chance of showing them the light.

Return fire might not be the best way to go……………… might just turn into the “shoot out at the OK corral” if you know what I mean
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

The sign idea sounds good. If it doesn't work, you could try taking it up with whatever entity it is that has juristiction over the area: town council, cops, forest service. Appearing calm & polite, yet very concerned, will get a better response than going to them while worked up.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Default where exactly?

i go out on the military land across from eielson all the thing looking for duck & grouse. How close to this area are you located, and have you had any problems w/ people hunting there? I dont go back there w/ anything more than my shotgun. I will spread the word here on base to be carefull

Quote Originally Posted by wellmanj1 View Post
    i go out on the military land across from eielson all the thing looking for duck & grouse. How close to this area are you located, and have you had any problems w/ people hunting there? I dont go back there w/ anything more than my shotgun. I will spread the word here on base to be carefull
    I have no problem with any hunting. I am a avid hunter. My problem is with the area being used as a gun range. I was raised to not use a area for shooting if it does not have a back stop. It amazes me that this is not common sense. Although common sense no longer seems that common.
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

Quote Originally Posted by jimhoff View Post
    make a polite sign "unsafe to shoot--hidden rec area beyond" and maybe suggest a nearby alternative informal area that is safe. Pick up shooting debris.
    That funny, any sign you stick up, had better be made of armour piercing metal and placed on concrete..

Now if you really want to change the direction of fire, haul and old car out to the site. Or stick up traffic signs in a neutral direction. That will draw all fire away from the objectionable area.

There is just something about a road sign in Alaska that people can't stand not to shoot.

I'll bet a guy in Alaska could make money selling targets that look like road signs.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Shot up road signs = advertisments for the anti-gun groups.

As a gun owner/enthusiast I'm embarrassed everytime I see one...