Thread: Decoys numbers

Default Decoys numbers

How many decoys is everyone using now?
    I have heard don't put to many out now since it's early season along with not putting any drakes out due to no birds will be in color yet.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default decoys

well right now im using anywhere from 6 to 18 depends were im hunting and if i want to carry them or not. have have been using drakes and havent saw any difference in the birds coming in. but i did think about that the other day but still threw them out anyway

I think it depends on where you are at. Right now, our birds are in huge groups. I agree on the drake thing. I haven't seen too many with color yet. Right now, I'm putting out 2-3 dozen dekes along with at least 3 swans.

I'm taking my usual 2 greenheads with 1 hen, 3 drake greenwings, and I'm also adding 2 bull sprig. I'm hoping the bright white breast wil attract some attention. So I guess my theory is color draws a looksee from them. We'll see how it works.

I use about 3 dozen ducks. My ducks consist of 12 mallards, 6 widgeon, 6 greenwing teal, 6 pintails, and 3 bluebills, I also throw out 4 duck butts (feeders). I use both drakes and hens. I believe the ducks don't pay too much attention to the colors, and the full color drake decoys can be seen from much farther away, due to the bright colors. I sometimes also use 4 floater geese, or two swans. Plus 3 baby mojo's. This spread works great for me. It hasn't mattered if it is early or late season.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Placement

Is more important than anything. A little, a lot, It don't mater if they don't look natural forget it. As for useing drakes early. I would say yes. However I try to Keep it 1 to 3 or 1 to 4. But also have had good luck at 1 to 1. For sure last week of sep go all out 1 to 1. But if your not where the ducks want to be, all the deeks in the world won't help you. Confidence deeks nothing work better then swans. I have two I haven't used in years but when I did, it got crazy. Also movment helps. I have a deek on a string that looks like it's feeding when you pull it. I only use it on flat days. I try to stay away from the robo crap but have used then with mixed results. Don't think I would buy one of my own. Maybe a duc butt with a pump on it. Still only on a flat days. 10 mph wind should be enough to make your deeks move to fool the ducks. If it's real flat and you don't have anything (deeks) to make movement try a paddle. Just don't let the ducks bust you. I have use my kayak paddle with go results. Even used it instead of the deek on a string with good luck. Make that water move. Also a few male can deeks work good I guess the white color. like Birdstrike said.
    Good luck people.

Default dull colors

I've been using duller colors up in the interior since the birds move out before getting their late fall plummage develops. I repainted all my drakes using some hen feather patterns over the original colors. Since I carve so many birds the modified paint jobs aren't too difficult.
    I agree wholeheartedly in the motion idea. A few decoys with shakers attached to the bottoms will be worth their weight in gold. When the water is calm water ripples really make the birds notice. I'm using mallards (8), widgeon (4), GW Teal (4), pintails (4), for the smaller water, ponds sloughs etc. Seems to work well especially with several ripples in the slough or ponds.
    When I was hunting bigger water in MT and SD I used to used upwards of 100 deeks. Whole different world down their since those birds have been shot at alot. Colors, numbers, mixtures get far more important as the birds get wiser.

Default Decoys

If you want cheap motion, use large swivels at or near where your line attachs near the decoy. The slightest wind or current will make 'em move some. They also respond to wind shifts faster than just a knot. Add a mojo-type or two if it ain't too deep, and watch 'em peal off to your rig.

I also like your 1 to 4, hens to drakes, at least until mid October or so.
    Makes 'em easy to paint.

On a calm day, too many of 'em, I try to gather some stones to toss into the rig. Timing is everything, and if they see yer southpaw, you're done.

I bought one of those rig em right jerk rigs for calm days. You can hook 4 decoys up to it, and create a lot of ripples in the water with it. Has anybody tried those higdon pulsator decoys? Is it worth the $139.00 per decoy, or do the old time jerk rigs work better?
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Default Go here

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/s...threadid=77814
    This may help. I diden't get to it this year hopefully next.

Default Jerk Decoy Rigs

Yeah, I think that an anchor or sub-surface eye with line is a good idea.
    A couple of years ago, I tried this battery puck-like thing in or on the bottom of a decoy - I think it was Herters - and it was worthless. I don't know what
    they sell these days that would jerk a decoy. Never tried those robot swimmers.

Yesterday I noticed an area where the ducks hung out. I set up with the same number and pattern they were in. I used 6 decoys with two feeding butts. this did really well for us. I used all hens. HOWEVER I did see my first mallard drake in color yesterday.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK