Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Boats in the Ocean

Default Jet Boats in the Ocean

I am in the market for a boat and of course I am trying to find the best of both worlds, river and ocean boats. However, until I started looking around I was under the impression that a good dual purpose boat just didn't exist. Seems like I might be wrong.

Anyway, we are primarily interested in exploring/fishing in Prince William Sound, and out of Seward and Homer. However, after doing a little hunting I am also interested in trying to run up rivers to go after fish, moose, and ducks. Is it reasonable to think you can use a jet for this...something like a 22ft Thunder Jet? I have seen several advertised as dual purpose and noticed a few out in the ocean. How do they handle the rough water and are the safe enough if the weather comes up on you. If any of you have experience with this please let me know as I am trying to get something set up in the near future. Any other recommendations as far as boats and such would be great. Thanks for the help.

Default Jets

I am running a 21' North River Commander for exactly the same reasons you're talking about. I love running up a river to chase kings and moose but wanted something big enought to get out on the salt. Now I'm wishing for something smaller to open up the little rivers and something bigger so we can stay on the salt longer. I spend a bit of time on the salt with my NR but am darn careful (I can't stress this part to much). When I finally got out on the salt I was surprised how many jets are out there, especially when chasing silver during the derbies. You'll see Woolies, NRs, TJets and others. I love my jet but intend to buy up in the next 3 to 5 years and buy down for the rivers. You really need at least three boats up here. There is nothing like a deep vee when cutting thru waves. A couple weeks ago we were in 2 to 3 foot chop out of Valdez and about got beat to death. I wished I had suspension seats that day but my poor passengers would have mutinied.

Default i agree

I have a 20' wooldridge sport and agree. I can go shallower than the NR mentioned above, but I am SUPER careful on the ocean with it. The wife doesn't do well on the ocean, no matter what boat shes in, so I'll stick with my wooly, and I have the jet and the prop with it, and it works great for what I do, but suspension seats will be added shortly, as soon as I figure out which ones are the best for my application. Good luck on your search, and trust us, there is no perfect boat for AK, you'll be compromising something!

Ohhh I definitely trust you on that. We just can't afford 3 boats....well I should say the wife isn't crazy about a boat to begin with, let alone three. For some reason she would rather have a house....go figure.

Suspension seats come on the boats I have been looking at but as said before the passengers might not be too happy. So I have a quite a bit of ocean boat experience, small skiffs, and 20-22ft fishing boats but no shallow river experience. I grew up on a lake boat and run rivers out on the Yukon Delta but nothing with rapids, just to give you an idea of my experience.

So, basically the plan is to do quite a bit of ocean fishing and exploring PWS and cook inlet. However, river boats open up a ton of the state to waterfowl, moose, deer hunting and going after salmon away from the crowds. Just seems like I would be missing out on alot of good stuff if I got an ocean only boat like an ocean pro. What do you guys think. Also, how tough is it to learn to run rivers up here safely and without really screwing up your equipment.

Anyway, keep the advice coming as it is much appreciated.

Default learning rivers isn't that hard

BUT, get a boat with some structure in the bottom, things do Happen!!!! Theres a few rocks, and one corner on the deshka That my boat has seen up close, and the boat looks no worse for the wear. I run an outboard... thats my preference. I would look at wooldridge or northriver, depending on what you want and price range. Lots of these boats on the used market right now. But if price isn't an option.......Bentz boats, HCM, custom weld, some of these babies are sweet!!!!! Heck riddle marine with a supercharged 6.0 with a scott pump would be SWEET!! ask chriso, musicman and tjm!! ok I need to stop dreaming now..........

DON'T get the 22 TJet for ocean running. With that being said I have had 2 of them for exactly what you are proposing and both have rattled apart. One sunk in Homer an 03' with 126hrs and they replaced (after a bunch of fighting) it with an 05' that I now have around 300hrs on and its tough to find a spot on it without cracks.

The 03' 126 hrs.........

There was a thread a while back about a 22' alumaweld jet which sank in passage canal due to wind/waves. Luckily they were rescued by the Chenega. If you have the money buy both boats. You can't go wrong safety-wise with an ocean boat for ocean waters....especially if you have a family and are taking your kids out, etc.

Same position as you last year. We bought a 20' Northriver jet boat. Ended up loving to go in the salt and never went on the rivers. Had to be very careful of the conditions and when we could head to the ocean. This summer we sold the jet boat and bought a 27' pilot house built for the ocean. Have tons of confidence in the boat and have only missed one weeked due to the seas. I think a lot of people take the jet boat route on the way to getting a full blown ocean boat.

Talking

UM-Zac

That is a weld failure... shoddy workmanship. If it was a good weld, the metal would have torn. You can see the keel extrusion is still in tact, and so is the weld bead.

For patrickl... suck it up man!!! I've got a whole flotilla of boats. Get a good salt boat, and spend $3,500-$6,000 for a cheap old river beater.

A while back we used your basic ole' green jon boat, it was a perfect flat non-tippin' fishing platform! They are inexpensive, light, and can be as roomy as any of them if you have the large ones. I have an ocean boat and would not consider a non-ocean boat in the ocean, weather conditions change to fast and your always at risk without the appropriate boat. I would spend the money on the ocean boat and throw a jon boat in the yard for the rivers.

I have to agree with Myers on this one. Get an 18 foot aluminum with a jet for the rivers and spend the money on a 24'+ ocean boat. Safety is a huge factor for me and IMO jet boats do not have a place out in the Sound. I guess seeing a couple of car seats in the rear view mirror puts things in perspective for me.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Well that is what I was thinking in the beginning. Get a decent ocean boat and then later buy a cheap older boat for rivers. The plan is to take the family out, particularly on the ocean trips. The river trips would be more for hunting and fishing so the kids, when we hav them, would have to grow up quite a bit.

I don't want to get off the subject so keep the opinions coming as to the original question. The boat I was looking at was a 25ft Thunder Jet with 496 Hamilton Jet. Any thoughts?

Can you get a decent river boat for around 5K-8K? Originally I was looking at 22Ft Ocean Pros for an ocean boat. We also thought about Seasport, Olympic, etc. What do you guys think about these. Ideally we want to stay around 30K or less but I might be able to convince the wife to go a little higher. Any recommendations.

Default I started

with a 19' duckworth and loved the rivers, tried using it in Whittier and Seward as well. Had to watch my days on the ocean and spent seeral in camp! Didn't take much to be beat up and nervious. always worring about the weather and changs! Finally sold it (as we loved the ocean more) and got a 22' hewes. Love it, never nervious and enjoy the outings, great ride and the family is much happier. Some day I will get a small jert unit to run the ivers again.
    2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Trophy boats are good for the sound/bays/inlets and can be found for some decent prices on craigslist. Ocean pros tend to fetch a higher price than what you are looking to spend.

Yeah that's my experience with searching over the last couple months. The welded aluminums are more than the glass boats. Ocean Pros seem to be the best deals on aluminums out there though. Hopefully something will come around here soon.

Any other places to look for boats in AK other than on Craigslist?

Quote Originally Posted by patrickL View Post
    Yeah that's my experience with searching over the last couple months. The welded aluminums are more than the glass boats. Ocean Pros seem to be the best deals on aluminums out there though. Hopefully something will come around here soon.

Any other places to look for boats in AK other than on Craigslist?
    Try this: http://www.907bigboytoys.com/index.php?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I'd rather have an ocean boat stuck on a sandbar in a river, then get stuck in the ocean with a river boat in bad seas.

I had a pretty good slog coming back in yesterday, and the one 6 footer I took over the bow would have been a totally different deal in a river boat than it was in my tolman.

I understand the desire and constraints of a do it all boat, but an honest assesment of a do it all boat is one that doesn't do anything paticularly well.

Figure out the type of boating you want to do most, and get a boat appropriate for that use.

I have a 22 foot Wooldridge with an inboard jet that I run out of PWS, Homer, lakes, and rivers. It does not do everything perfectly but fits my family and gets us out safely and back in. When it gets rough you just go slower and have a back up plan in case it gets real bad. Going out of PWS there are plenty of bays that offer a lot of protection that you can plan your route along just in case.

Get the suspension seats and just keep an eye on passengers, they are worth every dollar they cost!

I do agree with everyone on here, you need at least three boats to fully enjoy all Alaska has to offer. Just need to find that good paying job that gives me plenty of time off to enjoy the toys!

I have a 24' Duckworth that I use in both the rivers and the ocean. I think the size of the just boat is dependent on what your primary use it. Mine works pretty well in the salt. It has trim tabs and I can push the nose down when in waves and get through them better than most of the jet boats, but it is a REAL pain when you run out of water in the river with a boat this heavy. It is a pain, but it is not a safety issue like not having a big boat in the ocean when things get rough. This has not been a problem for me in the last 5 years of doing this. I don't go out when there is a bad forecast and I come in when it starts getting bad.

All of this being said, I will be selling my jet boat this spring because I bought an ocean boat and I am giving up the river running so I am going special purpose. I have a Kenai boat too, so I guess I still have two of the three boats that I will need. I would temper what others will say about jet boats in the ocean. If you use your head and it is the right boat, it will be fine. I am also spending a lot more money on the new boat than what I will sell the Duckworth for, and in reality this is not necessary, it is really a case of wanting instead of needing.

Jim

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast