Thread: Another caribou hunt using the decoy...

Default Another caribou hunt using the decoy...

I finally uploaded a video that I took of my buddy's father in law and my brother shooting a couple of caribou up north. We were using the Montana Decoy Caribou prototype and wouldn't have gotten these bulls without it. They spotted us from about 300 yards and took off running. They got to the top of a ridge nearly a half mile away, and we held up the decoy. They saw the decoy and started working back toward us, so we sat still waiting for them to come in. My buddy held up the decoy and I hunkered down behind him to video. Wouldn't have been so bad if he could have kept from farting so much while I was that close to him. I'm sure the bulls would have worked in closer, but a big gust of wind knocked the caribou down out of my buddies hands and the bull put on the breaks and stared him down. My brother had first shot and was lined up on the smaller bull so he shot him. I was zoomed in on the larger bull so I didn't get his shot on video. The larger bull got shot shortly afterwards, but it wasn't a killing shot. He ran quite a ways and layed up on the side of a lake. It didn't take too long to get up close to put another round in him and finish him off. Problem was he decided to head out into the lake when the last shot hit him. Luckily he blew back in close enough to shore to reach out and grab him.

The wind was howling good fashion, so I appologize in advance for the wind noise. I'm also not sure why this video uploaded the way it did on youtube. It seems like the frame timing is off, but it is fine when I watch it off the computer.

Oh yea, my brothers bou piled up pretty hard so I had to give a quick replay on that. Don't see them pile up like that often.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n9Tx6Vu7KU

I have 2 of the same decoys and had success using them on the Haul Road this year as well. We never killed one with a bow using them but we had several within 100 yards because we had them.

Those things are gonna get someone killed one of these days

too many people out there with itchy fingers

I think I have issues with needing a life size decoy for hunting bigame - seems to go a bit far if you ask me

"needing" is the operative word. We don't need to use this decoy, but it sure was fun, something different, and a good experiment to see how they would work. It proved to be effective on these two bulls as they were headed out of dodge and there was nowhere to get cover to get in on them. We've shot so many caribou it's fun to mix it up with a different hunting style every once in a while.

walk'n around with a caribou decoy in your hands is playing with fire...the deadly kind.

Proved to be so to those caribou.

I see your concern but I think it is pretty far fetched, especially in the area we caribou hunt. I don't think I'd hold on to an elk decoy on opening day of Colorado rifle season, but when you can see two or three miles in any direction, I think it could be time to take off the training wheels.

Good for you, Jerod. Interesting ideas. Weather you need it or not, it's a new way to try your luck.
    I can see cutter's point. Maybe using the deke in the bow only area isn't quite as risky as in an area where guys are shooting rifles. Maybe trying to set up the deke and then hide away from it would be safer.
    Each hunter can make his own choices.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Default Sellers?

Anybody know where you can get one around the Fairbanks area?

Default 'bou dec

Dang, I'd almost forgotten about that thing. I need to get a hold of Montana Decoy and see what the status with production is.

There isn't any place in Alaska you can buy those nwf99. That was a prototype that Montana Decoy let me try out in 2006 and then I had to send it back after the season so they could use it at the promotional shows that they go to. Last I heard it was going to be in production shortly. I gave them suggestions for improving on that one so it'll be interesting to see if they changed it at all.

Using a decoy in a rifle area is risky, but as you can see in the videos we were out in the wide open and could see any other hunters (there weren't any) a really long ways off. It was amazing how those two bulls turned around and came in like they were on a string. They must have been 800 yards away, or more and headed the other direction and once we got that decoy set up they came straight in to within about a hundred yards. They probably would have come closer, but a big gust of wind hit me from behind and knocked the decoy out of my hands. That got them a little nervous when the 'bou they were coming to investigate folded in half.

Jeff

Hot dang if they don't have them on their website now...

http://www.montanadecoy.com/decoys/caribou.htm

That one looks like a vast improvement on the one we used. The prototype was obviously a large bull that didn't have antlers and it was facing perpendicular to its body. I told them that if they wanted to improve on it that they should use a small bull or cow (smaller mane) and have it facing ahead so that it had some facial profile and would look more realistic if you were walking with it. It looks like they delivered and the one shown should be a huge improvement.

I'm going to have to get a hold of those guys now. They said they were going to let me know when they went into production. I guess I should have been a little more proactive and kept in touch with them.

I can see it now ... a caribou decoy spread and a blind nearby.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

put up a deke up in 40mile country and your going to get shot at, maybe from multiple angles.

its not the hunters you can see I'd worry about, its the ones you can't see from 400 yrds out that just wanna toss lead downrange becuase they've got some hotshot rifle with all that latest bells and whistles.

I have no problem with others using them if they want to, I'm just not into it.

Now Decoy'n Ducks is a totalling different story.

Default Cutter have you ever crossed the street?

The use of decoy's is a great tool to all hunters for duck, deer, moose, elk, turkey, sheep, & caribou. Give the rest us hunters some credit, look at the stats on hunting & the number of injuries or accidents in the field. There's no comparison to any other sporting event in numbers. Sure some people shoot long distance but usually they watch their target for some time before they shoot. Have you ever crossed the street? What are your odd's there? jmo if decoy's work for you good luck & stringEMup.

Quote Originally Posted by nwf99 View Post
    Anybody know where you can get one around the Fairbanks area?
    It wasn't in Fairbanks, but I could have sworn I saw one back by the archery department at the Sportsmans Warehouse in Anchorage last weekend.... I just kinda passed by and glanced over thinking "hey, that looks like a caribou decoy." But didn't stop for a closer look. Any other company besides Montana makes these?

Default Caribou decoy

Montana sells them on their web site for $99. I just picked up on on Ebay for $49 with shipping.

Default bou deke

sportsmans sells them or did i should say if they happen to be out. the place was pretty crowded with pfd time..