Thread: Opinions on a revolver

Default Opinions on a revolver

Hello, I'm moving my family up to AK in a couple weeks, been super busy here but basically read the forum to unwind.

So here is my question, I just sold my 357 SW revolver, (my brother really wanted it, and I wanted something different) and what I'm looking at getting up in AK was a 44mag, mainly a fishing gun, and a just in case piece of mind. (my 870 slug gun is going as well but I want options I guess)

So, I've been looking at the 629 S&W which does seem like a popular firearm up there, or the taurus tracker, I'm looking at a 4-6 inch barrel. Most likely a 4, which my 357 was, and what I'm used to

So has anyone shot the ported tracker? I guess I'm never shot one and was wondering what the muzzle blast is like? From online pricing it seems like about a 200 dollar jump to the S&W.

So any opinions betweem the two, and maybe even a Anchorage shop you like to deal with, Been thinking I'd like to buy used.....

Thanks for any thoughts!! Start work oct 12, and start the trip up the alcan sept 21,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,cant wait!!!!!

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with the 629. Quality is consistent & with the right ammo, it's a formidable weapon. The Taurus can have spotty quality control. I had a 41 mag tracker, & the quality was great. The porting seemed to work pretty well, muzzle blast wasn't too bad.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If you are used to the S&W 357 and want to upgrade the power factor you would be well served with the S&W M29/629. The mountain gun is a popular model as it offers a good compromise of weight, balance and power. In 44 it can be a very capable handgun. If you are an accomplished shot with a 357 the same type gun in 44 will be an easy transition for you. I personally would not consider the Taurus or Ruger for you situation.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by youngtrout View Post

So, I've been looking at the 629 S&W which does seem like a popular firearm up there, or the taurus tracker, I'm looking at a 4-6 inch barrel. Most likely a 4, which my 357 was, and what I'm used to

So has anyone shot the ported tracker? I guess I'm never shot one and was wondering what the muzzle blast is like? From online pricing it seems like about a 200 dollar jump to the S&W.
    I don't have any experience with the Tracker, but a ported 4-inch 629 is my "go everywhere" gun. My only hesitation with the Tracker is a question about how well it could be tuned. That's important to me for accuracy and quick handling, and I just don't know if it's possible or worthwhile with the tracker.

Since results of tuning a 629 are superb, I'd stay on the safe side and buy one of those till I learned different about the Tracker. Just my way through the parking lot.

They are both good guns. I have a 41 tracker and have shot the 44 tracker. I think they are great revolvers.

That said, I may look at a S&W mountain gun next. Since I reload my pick would be the 45 colt version though.

Safe to say I had 1000's of rounds through my 357 police and with a trigger job, and aftermarket sights, it was a nice piece, reloading helps as well.

I would love to stick with the S&W its just the price jump, but its what I've known for 6 years so why not stick with it! Maybe someone has one just collecting dust they want to sell or trade I'm bringing up a couple pushfeed mauser LA commercial actions!

While I'm still in Denver, we have a indoor range close by I've never been to (typically I shoot outdoors) I heard they have a nice assortment of rentals,,,might go check it out,

Thanks again!!!

Like I said, you can't go wrong with the 629. I've had quite a few S&W revolvers, & never a lemon in the lot.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default S&W vs Taurus

Go with the Smith. Taurus quality seems to be pretty spotty to me. Some are beautiful, others in the same batch are junk. Getting a Taurus fixed means sending it to a black hole in Florida where guns don't seem to return from.
    Ante up the $200 for a good S&W, you will NOT be sorry!

Thumbs up S&W

Over the years I have owned 3 Ruger Blackhawk .44's with 7.5 and 4 5/8 barrels and 6 S&W Mod. 29 and 629's. They have had 6", 5", 4" and 3" barrels. I like them all. But the one I like the most is the 629 I had a gunsmith fit a 4" Mountain Revolver barrel to. It carries well and provides a powerful load in a small package. The gun is more capable then I am...