Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Silvers

Default Kodiak Silvers

Heading down to Kodiak in a few days and was wondering about the Silver run. Any reports? It's supposed to be pretty good this time of year.

Also I'm taking my fly rod this time. Normally I just use a reel with spinners but not sure what to use with my fly rod?

The Bushkin River has received 3,655 fish through Sunday. It's been averaging around 300 fish a day for the last few days. The Olga and Ayakulik at the south end have received 5,272 and 6,019. The Karluk continues to struggle this year with 127 Coho, and under 600 Kings returning this year. I am sure all the road side rivers have fish.

Stop in at Mack's for a selection of fly's.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 09-08-2008 at 12:01. Reason: Spelling

Good deal.

thanks

Default Limiting Out

Been limiting out every trip...just have to keep the bears off our fish

Default bears

Shawn - any particular problem areas with the bears?

I have never had any negative encounters with bears on Kodiak. They seem to stay to themselves.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Smile Saltery

If you don't pay attention they will take all your fish...not aggressive just really pushy

Default buskin

got run off the buskin last night near the picnic pavilion. Not aggresive but way to close for comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    The Bushkin River has received 3,655 fish through Sunday. It's been averaging around 300 fish a day for the last few days. The Olga and Ayakulik at the south end have received 5,272 and 6,019. The Karluk continues to struggle this year with 127 Coho, and under 600 Kings returning this year. I am sure all the road side rivers have fish.

Stop in at Mack's for a selection of fly's.

Whats the typical run size for the Buskin? Has it been raining up there and are the fishing pushing through thick or is it yet to come? We pushed out trip out for the week of Sept. 25th, and hope it won't be too late for the big rush of Coho. Any reports from the Pashashak?

PK

what about steelhead here in oct? karluk gonna be slow without silvers?

The last couple of years the run size has been between 9,000 - 13,000 fish. Fishing should be good through the end of Sept and into early October. I would check out some of the other rivers too.
    Good luck,
    Quote Originally Posted by yellowlab View Post
    Whats the typical run size for the Buskin? Has it been raining up there and are the fishing pushing through thick or is it yet to come? We pushed out trip out for the week of Sept. 25th, and hope it won't be too late for the big rush of Coho. Any reports from the Pashashak?

PK

Great info! Looking forward to fishing several others as well. Kalsin, Olds, American, Russian... any reports out there? I thought Pinks were on odd numbered years, but looks like they're in the rivers every year in Kodiak.

typically i think the even number surge is aimed at the kenai drainages.. i find pinks in big numbers every year everywhere

Great info! Looking forward to fishing several others as well. Kalsin, Olds, American, Russian... any reports out there? I thought Pinks were on odd numbered years, but looks like they're in the rivers every year in Kodiak.
    Heres how it works, off years the harvestable surplus of pinks in this state is only like 700,000,000 fish whereas on years its 130 million... In other words there are a lot of pinks on down years and a crazy amount of pinks on on years.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Everything is smoking hot right now. Lots of fish and lots of bears. I've been limiting out in less than an hour on most mornings using Vibrax. Guys using eggs our limiting out in about 15 minutes, atleast the ones fishing around me. I've done well in the Buskin, American and Solonie creek. Can't speak for anything else although I've heard there nailing them out at Pasagshak. Good luck

Default kodiak

I just got back from Kodiak on Sunday the 15th. Fished the road system the 4th thru the 6th. Fished remote after that. The road system was productive, the remote fishing was off the hook. The Buskin was the ace in the hole if we didnt get them anywhere else we could get them there. Talked to a guy at the airport that was returning from Karluk, he said fishing was great. I find that hard to believe with the low returns there.

Default Buskin

F&G just raised the limit to 5 silvers in the buskin.

SWEEETNESS! Just a few more days til we're there.... can't keep my eye off the calendar. Save us some fish! Thanks for the great info folks.

Default Mining Kodiak silver...

I am eating my heart out now that I'm stuck back in FL and not in AK. If it was not for my summer assignments yet to be composed, I would be there.

Stick one or two for me and enjoy...

Rosenberg/Florida
    "Two decades researching and defining fishing opportunities in the Last Frontier!"

Wow the Buskin had a lot of fish today, but way to many fishermen for any of the fish to bite. I'd think the morning tide is where its at... Heading out the road tomorrow.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast