Thread: Gotta switch to IRS

Default Gotta switch to IRS

The wife has some back issues and she will be needing a cushy riding IRS wheeler. We looked at the Yamaha Grizzly 550 and took it for a spin, needless to say she liked it a lot but I was wondering if anyone has any experience with one of these rigs? Fully auto, power steering, diff lock, quite a bit of storage, and ergonamically designed. What's the pro's and con's of this machine? And for those that have been to Anchorage Yamaha on Spenard, how do you like this dealership? The salesman was a really nice guy and very helpful but what about after the sale? Thanks.

Default Rhino

Buy a Rhino for the same price....these things will go any where. I bought three of my Rhino's from Anchorage and they were great.

Default didn't buy there

I purchased my 450 kodiak used, but have taken it there for service. It was in August so just before hunting last year, they got it in and out, and the tune up was awesome, it runs a ton better now that the valves are adjusted. I was impressed with their service dept.

I've gone in from time to time to look at new machines and the sales people seem to know their stuff and are not high pressure.

Now on the other hand there is an arctic cat dealership across town (not going to say who) but their service dept seems to lack a basic understanding of equipment.

This has been my experience and I'm sure others have different opinions.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Buy a Rhino for the same price....these things will go any where. I bought three of my Rhino's from Anchorage and they were great.
    For the same price? The 550 cost $7639 and the Rhino was $1200+, not even close to the same price.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have ridden several of the IRS machines but not the Yamaha’s. Of the Cat’s, Polaris, Kawasaki, Can-Am and Suzuki machines that I have ridden, I personally prefer the ride on the Suzuki machines and that played a significant role in my decision to by a KQ 700 for myself, and one for my wife. That said, personal preference is by definition a “personal” thing, so you should endeavor to ride as many different machines as possible before making your decision. I have read some very good reviews regarding the power steering available on the big Yamaha, and had it been available when I was doing my shopping I may have gone with Yamaha, but don’t know for sure. I have swore up and down that my Yamaha days are over due to the price of their parts and exceedingly poor service that I have received at some of the dealerships (due to forum rules and personal liability concerns I will not go into any further details on this aspect of you question) but mechanically and functionally I think that they (Yamaha’s) are the equal of any of the other machines. In fact I think you would be hard pressed to find a lemon out of the newer crop of IRS machines from the major manufactures.

Good luck in your search and I am sure you wife will thoroughly enjoy her new machine.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Pick what ever brand you want but if it were me looking for a medium bore machine for the wife it would be a 450 EFI King Quad. It wont even brake the bank, the 08's are on sale right now for next to nothing. You can get a 08 450 King Quad with EFI right now in Fairbanks for $5999 w/ winch, thats $1600+ less than the 550 Griz. I am sure you could haggle for less and especially in Anchorage where prices seem to be better. I wouldn't buy a 550 Griz for the price you listed when you could get an 08 700 Griz with EPS for a couple hundred $$ more. If your looking at the Griz go with the 700, and grab one up before they are all gone, the 09's are rolling in now. Understand my logic here is getting the most for your money.Oh and the King Quad is a smoother riding machine that the Griz per my recent experience.

Cub, that price is for the 2009 model and include a pre-mounted winch, they list for over $7700 without it. This machine isn't for me either, it's for my wife, she needs something smaller than a 700, preferably a 450-550 machine. Since Honda won't make a machine for her needs I have to switch to something that will fit her and have the EPS, IRS and she seems to like the auto transmission. She won't even consider a Suzuki, don't ask because I don't know why she won't.

Then the Grizzly 550 sounds like the one for her. I was just trying to save you some money for a machine that has everything your looking for (Auto trans, IRS, Diff Lock, and a smooth ride) except P/S, and $1600 is a lot for what little the p/s does.

I was astounded by the difference in weight when I compared them. The 550 Grizzly weighs in a 600lbs whereas the 450 King Quad weighs in at 672 lbs, even the 400 King Quad was 15 lbs heavier than the Grizz. The 450 KQ is even heavier than the 700 King Quad, I find that kind of odd. For the kind of money she's spending she should get everything that she wants in as light a package as possible.

Those numbers arent correct there are several typos in the 09 models on the Suzuki website. They said my King Quad had 996cc's for a while which was actually the the info for the GSXR motorcyle. Check the 08 Specs, they are accurate. Both the 750 and 450 King Quads weigh 601 pounds, much like the 550 Griz weighs the same as the 700 Griz. I just went through all this picking a machine.

They need to fix that, when someone like me is looking at this stuff it helps to have the right info otherwise they could sales. That might change things but we'll have to wait and see. I wouldn't mind having a new wheeler myself but I don't care much for the auto's and would rather have a semi-auto clutch and 5 speed. Do the KQ's have the reverse lever on the side or is it on the handlebars?

Its on the left side just like the Grizzly. Hey man just so you know I am not trying to sell you on Suzuki's, heck I just barely got mine. But I spent a lot of time evaluating and researching the good and bad about all my options. The two that shined for my needs was the King Quads and the Grizzlys. Do your homework, but most importantly drive whatever your likely considering, thats how I ended up with the King Quad. I was literally "BUYING" a 700 Griz when I test drove the King Quad and the rest is history. I'll tell you this much, no matter what they all get stuck if you push your luck long enough....grin Heres my KQ with my son stuck a couple nights ago as I was winching him out.

Default 2009 Honda Rancher?

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Cub, that price is for the 2009 model and include a pre-mounted winch, they list for over $7700 without it. This machine isn't for me either, it's for my wife, she needs something smaller than a 700, preferably a 450-550 machine. Since Honda won't make a machine for her needs I have to switch to something that will fit her and have the EPS, IRS and she seems to like the auto transmission. She won't even consider a Suzuki, don't ask because I don't know why she won't.
    I hear the 2009 Honda Rancher is supposed to have a 5 speed manual/automatic tranny. It is also going to have IRS, power steering, and disc brakes all around. This sounds like the machine for her! Have fun choosing your/her new machine.

Your kidding me? After all this now Honda is going to make an IRS machine with power steering? Thats a no brainer for the wife then, looks like a new Rancher for her.

After riding my buddies 700 Griz with power steering in the real world I would never buy a quad without power steering. It is absolutely amazing. On steep technical hill climbs his 13 year old would just put it in diff lock and crawl up the darn trail and still be able to steer. Amazing. After a day of riding my 660 Griz to get into our spot I was tired from fighting bump steer, etc. His 13 year old that was riding the 700 Griz had no complaints.

I can't believe it's taken Honda this long to get with the program. It sounds like maybe they will finally get it together.

Power steering, diff lock, irs and a good seat, a solid automatic tranny, low range and 4 wheel disk brakes are the ticket. The Griz has them all. Plus low center of gravity with the gas tank being between the frame rails makes for a stable quad.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by AkHunter45 View Post
    Your kidding me? After all this now Honda is going to make an IRS machine with power steering? Thats a no brainer for the wife then, looks like a new Rancher for her.
    I'd opt for the King Quad 450. A great machine.

Default Nice

Good sounding Honda. I thought the suspension on the Rincon was kind of soft (I weigh 175). Don't expect the rancher with IRS to haul lots of weight like a grizzly might without sagging and bottoming out. I know the springs on the 700 are adjustable and the rinny's are not.
    That said I really like Yamaha in Anch and bought most of my after market parts for the foreman and rincon thru them. They are always helpful. Still go in there for bike parts.

Are the 09 hondas out now?

They are out but the dealerships have not received any yet. We are going to one of the dealerships to put a downpayment on one of those new RancherAT's with the EPS and ESP. She doesn't haul anything heavy so weight will never be an issue. Price for one of those rigs is $7,099 out the door. We are stoked to say the least!!