Thread: coneheaded dalai lama

Default coneheaded dalai lama

I witnessed the pure awesomness of this fly first hand last weekend fishing for silvers and rainbows. I am new into tying flies and I am aspiring to tie this one. Does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to tie some?

Start by putting a conehead on a hook and tying on a tail for the stringer hook out of dacron
    Tie in rabbit strip zonker style for the top
    Tie in lighter rabbit strip to wrap
    wrap lighter rabbit strip to head
    tie off other rabbit stip zonker style
    tie in flash on the sides
    whip finish
    clip front hook and add a stinger hook

done
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

don't fish with them.....they don't work...i don't know what you could be talking about....you should probably just stick to Vibrax...even on your fly rod....i also still contend its all about presentation

P.S.

Are we still fishing this weekend? I'm planning on going in thursday or friday. You guys should try to make it. I just got 20 Llamas in the mail....i need some new beads though...i think you owe me a few from last weekend.

Default Rapala!

Or Maybe I should just throw a rapala minnow on there with 8,000 hooks on it and catch every fish, bear, bald eagle, man, woman, and child within a 500 yard radius, Bill Style.

Presentation? Fine, I will trade you 20 hooks with yarn on them for your 20 dalai lamas. That's about all I can tie right now anyways. I am sure with your impecible presentation it won't matter. You don't really need those flys.

We got Friday off, I should be getting ready to go to the sandbox for a year, but I think fishing sounds better. I will talk to Cody and one of us will let you know.

AK_powder_monkey, thanks for the help. You got a link to these instructions with pics? When I said I am new to fly tying...i meant that I am REALLY new to it.

Hell yes we're going fishing, then stopping at the west rib for some Ice Axe!!!!!!!!

i ordered a dozen of them online and caught one nice rainbow with one so far. Just one spontaneous day of fishing though. I found they kind of annoying to cast with my 5 weight. Might just be my rod, its new and that was the first time I used it. I've heard good things of the fly though.

Only by using the Dolly Lama will you receive total enlightenment.....so uh yeah....I got that going for me....

Gunga ulunga...gunga ulunga....

Default add hooks last

I find that taking the stringer hook and piercing it through one or more of the rabbit strips rather than tieing the back of the strips to the trailers as I have seen commercial ones done keeps things from bunching up and makes the fly look better over all. Also I tie them with a long trailer line but no hook till I am ready. This means I can literally throw them in a pocket rather than worry about keeping them from getting tangled as there isn't a fly box I have yet seen with enough room for a fly like this.
    River Runnin