Thread: The wierdest stalk I ever saw!

Default The wierdest stalk I ever saw!

Workin at PS2 on Thursday and I couldn't figure out what the heck those guys where tryin to pull on the small band of boo. They went straight toward the boo while hiding behind (didn't know what the heck it was) maybe a boo drawn on a chunk of cardboard? They closed the gap from 6-700 yards to under a 100, with the guys doing most of the moving. At first the boo got skittish then grouped up and went straight toward that THING in front of the 2 guys. When the boo spooked for good and headed out the 2 headed for their truck. Any guesses? A MIRROR!!! At least thats what it looked like. Don't think it was 4x8 but close. One problem I could see was if it didn't stay tilted down toward the tundra the skyline would flash like a camera flash. Definate head scratcher for me!
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

We talked about doing that years ago, but never did. Seems like it would work great if you kept it at the right angle and moved slowly towards them, but the last 100 yards would be pretty difficult I'd imagine. Why not?

Default me too

I have thought about it before. Just for any hunting, not specifically bou. Would be a pain to haul that big of mirror up there. Plus the weight be an issue, even the cheap mirrors would be a little heavy in a 4x8 sheet. Just makes you wonder though. Yep better keep an eye on that angle! The only down side I can see.

Could it have been a big umbrella? I have heard that works

a big umbrella and a big mirror...I see the resemblance!

Montana Decoys has Life Size Cow Elk Decoys and deer also, I have used their turkey decoys, they are photo copies and (look pretty darn real to.) Antelope hunters use them pretty successfully. Maybe since you said (a Bou drawn on a chunk of cardboard) they had a homemade version; I think it would work great.

See any double shovels in that group with high tines? I'll buy the decoy if you have the time.

Default Antelope

Heard stories of folks doing 'the mirror' trick with Antelope on the prairies.

The trick is to master the mirror angle. Too high, you flashed 'em. Too low, and things start bouncing.

Also heard of them using a cut out of a cow (moo cow that is). Seems the antelope are used to grazing cattle.

Default double shovels

Didn't see any double shovels, but I wasn't hunting either. Just workin at PS2. The last couple weeks started seeing more bou on the drive from Deadhorse to PS2 daily.
    Got home Friday, fly out today for a bou/sheep hunt for a week. Back home for a couple days then take off for a week on a moose hunt, home three days then back to PS2. Whew!

2003 220 Hewescraft Sea Runner 115 Yam'y, Soft Top "Schmidt Happens"

Default mirror

when they headed for their truck is when I was able to decipher that it was a mirror, not a decoy.

Default mirror

when they headed for their truck is when I was able to decipher that it was a mirror, not a decoy.

Queen of Kings, that video was from 2006. We had to send the prototype back to Montana Decoy's, and as far as we know, they still haven't started producing them yet. Not sure what the hold up is, but my buddy gave them a few suggestions on it.

Talking A mirror?

***??? You guys give that a try up here I am eager to see if it works. The shipping charges will be a monster thought!

Funny!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Default Bad luck...

Not to be supersticious or anything, but I'd hate to risk seven years of bad luck if I broke the darn mirror while making a stalk!

Default have seen them

If interested I may be able to help. Our local sporting goods dealer has on display a mirror set up for decoying. I did not pay much attention because I would never need to buy one. It was a commercially manufactured item. Stood vertical maybe 4 ft. and maybe 2 ft. or so wide. Had a couple of holes to carry it and at least one at the top to look through without sticking your head up over the top. Did not pay attention as to what it was made of. If any one is interested I will stop by, if they still have one (had several at the time) I will get the details for you

I've seen guys using those things back home for antelope. There made of mylar (sp?). Basicly works just like a mirror, but alot lighter material. if you could get the angle down it would work great. But everytime i'm seen somebody use then it looks like there sending distress signal with a mirror from miles away.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Default Saw Same Last Year--

I saw the same thing last year just past Galbraith lake. The was two different guys each using hand held mirror'd walls. Each appeared to be about 3.5 wide and around 5.5 tall. Looked like it was made out of some kind of mirror'd plastic. But they did not have the angle down and kept looking like a litehouse, flashing every 20 seconds or so. There weren't too many bou around, so didn't get to see how well it worked before we hiked off to Galbraith gorge. It was an entertaining few minutes though.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

Default just in case

you can't live without it......

http://www.theshadowshield.com/

Gary