Thread: Conceal/Open Carry laws

Default Conceal/Open Carry laws

I've been getting different answers as to what the actual carry laws are up here. I moved here about a year ago and I'm still not sure if or where I can open carry.

http://opencarry.org/ak.html

Anywhere you can open carry, you can also concealed carry... (no permit required) On the link, there's a list of where you cannot carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Px4idiot View Post
    I've been getting different answers as to what the actual carry laws are up here. I moved here about a year ago and I'm still not sure if or where I can open carry.
    Then you should call the State Troopers and ask.

If you haven't been getting straight answers from civilians why do you think you'd get one here?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Quote Originally Posted by Akheloce View Post
    http://opencarry.org/ak.html

Anywhere you can open carry, you can also concealed carry... (no permit required) On the link, there's a list of where you cannot carry.

This about covers it, be aware that by the wording of the statutes, all carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol MUST be concealed.

Take care and feel free to check out the opencarry.org alaska forum section, there's several of us that are members both here and there.

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

If a state has an open carry law that DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN CARRY CONCEALED. I have can carry in about 35 states concealed and have been doing so for sometime in my work. You have to know what each and everystate requires if you are carrying in there state. AK is the first one i have been to that is not even doing CCW anymore. That is fine too do the CCW that i have that carry me here. I am a res of AK so i am covered either way. If you find out other information please forward on to me.
    TANGO

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    If a state has an open carry law that DOES NOT MEAN YOU CAN CARRY CONCEALED. I have can carry in about 35 states concealed and have been doing so for sometime in my work. You have to know what each and everystate requires if you are carrying in there state. AK is the first one i have been to that is not even doing CCW anymore. That is fine too do the CCW that i have that carry me here. I am a res of AK so i am covered either way. If you find out other information please forward on to me.
    TANGO
    Slightly confused here, what type of info are you looking for? OC, CC, or just general carry?

Jon
    Nurse by night, Alaska adventurer by day!

TANGO
    Huh? Alaska most certainly "does CCW anymore." There are reasons why you would still want a CCW permit in Alaska, not the least of which being is so that as a Alaska resident you can exercise reciprocity in pact states.

Outside of the CCW issue, it matters not if you are a resident of Alaska when carrying open or concealed. A resident of another state has the same rights when in the state.

And that link above does a good job of covering state law but it doesn't mention a few federal restrictions on where you may or may not carry either open or concealed here. Keep that in mind.

Ok, i guess i was not clear on something in the meaning of my words. I was refuring to a statement that was made earlier in reguards to. ''If a state does allow open carry (not meaning AK) it does not mean you can carry concealed.

Next, i was told that AK or the city or borough that one lives in is no longer doing CCW for AK. I am a firearms instructor for the NRA and Utah, and can teach this class. I too want to be legal in the state, i have only been there for a short time. I work overseas and try to reseach as much as i can but web-site's are not alway up-dated.

I hope i have not offended anyone here

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Gee, I don't think you can offend anyone with a legitimate question on this forum.

If someone took offenses over a question like this, they would get pounded by other posters, you can be sure.

I hope you don't find us to be a bunch of tight *****es that can't be asked a question here?
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Ok, i guess i was not clear on something in the meaning of my words. I was refuring to a statement that was made earlier in reguards to. ''If a state does allow open carry (not meaning AK) it does not mean you can carry concealed.

Next, i was told that AK or the city or borough that one lives in is no longer doing CCW for AK. I am a firearms instructor for the NRA and Utah, and can teach this class. I too want to be legal in the state, i have only been there for a short time. I work overseas and try to reseach as much as i can but web-site's are not alway up-dated.

I hope i have not offended anyone here
    No offense taken! Just clarification. Alaska residents can still obtain a CCW in Alaska, even though in-state it is, for the most part, moot. But if you want to carry in reciprocity states you need a Alaska CCW permit.

I'd suggest taking the Alaska concealed handgun course at the Mat Valley Sportsmen range in Palmer. Call them because the range has been closed all summer but is supposed to reopen soon.
    To me, the primary value of the course was the coverage of Alaska law. If you don't want the permit (for reciprocity) then don't turn in the form.
    In a nutshell, you can carry open or concealed in Alaska if you can legally possess the gun. You must immediately notify law enforcement if they contact you and you are carrying. You can't carry where prohibited by federal law (post office), on school grounds, in law enforcement offices, and a few other places that will be covered in the course.
    Also, I've been told but haven't confirmed that you can't carry OPEN in Palmer due to a city regulation. We really need to get the State to pass an open carry law to prevent things like that.
    Here are a few more links:
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/statewide...g/achpfaq.aspx
    http://www.mvsrange.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFast View Post
    Also, I've been told but haven't confirmed that you can't carry OPEN in Palmer due to a city regulation.
    Actually, the State has enacted a preemption law that does prohibit the municipalities (cities are a class of municipality, and Palmer is a home rule municipality) from enacting laws that are further restrictive than the State firearms laws.

Sec. 29.35.145. Regulation of firearms.

(a) The authority to regulate firearms is reserved to the state, and, except as specifically provided by statute, a municipality may not enact or enforce an ordinance regulating the possession, ownership, sale, transfer, use, carrying, transportation, licensing, taxation, or registration of firearms.

(b) Municipalities may enact and enforce ordinances

(1) that are identical to state law and that have the same penalty as provided for by state law;

(2) restricting the discharge of firearms in any portion of their respective jurisdictions where there is a reasonable likelihood that people, domestic animals, or property will be jeopardized; ordinances enacted or enforced under this paragraph may not abridge the right of the individual guaranteed by art. I, sec. 19, Constitution of the State of Alaska, to bear arms in defense of self or others;

(3) restricting the areas in their respective jurisdictions in which firearms may be sold; a business selling firearms may not be treated more restrictively that other businesses located within the same zone; and

(4) prohibiting the possession of firearms in the restricted access area of municipal government buildings; the municipal assembly shall post notice of the prohibition against possession of firearms at each entrance to the restricted access area.

(c) The prohibition on taxation in (a) of this section does not include imposition of a sales tax that is levied on all products sold within a municipality.

(d) This section applies to home rule and general law municipalities.

(e) In this section,

(1) "firearms" includes firearms, or any other element relating to firearms or parts thereof including ammunition and reloading components;

(2) "restricted access area" means the area beyond a secure point where visitors are screened and does not include common areas of ingress and egress open to the general public.

For further reference, this comes from the Dept. of Public Safety web page on CCW. Furthermore, you must remember there are federal rules that also effect carry, such as post offices, federal courthouses, etc.

http://www.dps.state.ak.us/Statewide...dhandguns.aspx

Alaska Statute 11.61.220 allows anyone 21 or older, who may legally carry a firearm to also carry it concealed without having to obtain a special permit. The possession of a firearm at courthouses, school yards, bars and domestic violence shelters will continue to be prohibited. Alaskans may obtain a concealed carry permit if they want reciprocity with other states.

A person 21 or older may be charged with carrying a concealed deadly weapon under AS 11.61.220 if s/he

* fails to immediately inform a peace officer that s/he is carrying a concealed handgun
    * fails to allow the officer to secure the weapon or fails to secure the weapon at the direction of the peace officer, or
    * carries the weapon concealed within another person's residence, unless s/he has first obtained the express permission of an adult residing there, whether or not the person has a concealed handgun permit.
    "A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user." Theodore Roosevelt, 1913

Well i guess that brings me to the next question after reading the reg for both, CCW and armed security.
    What is a appoved firearms course here, and where would one fine the list on where they are held? thanks

Sweepint
    '' Livn' The Dream ''

Well i guess that brings me to the next question after reading the reg for both, CCW and armed security.
    What is a appoved firearms course here, and where would one fine the list on where they are held? thanks
    I've never seen them online (even at the link below.) But you can contact these folks for a list:

Alaska Concealed Handgun Permit Program
    Department of Public Safety, Division of Statewide Services
    5700 East Tudor Road
    Anchorage, Alaska 99507
    (907) 269-0392
    http://www.dps.state.ak.us/PermitsLicensing/

Since you are in Wasilla, the one I mentioned above at the Mat Valley range would be the closest. www.mvsrange.com

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by adfraiser View Post
    Actually, the State has enacted a preemption law that does prohibit the municipalities (cities are a class of municipality, and Palmer is a home rule municipality) from enacting laws that are further restrictive than the State firearms laws.

Sec. 29.35.145. Regulation of firearms.
    Thanks for clarifying and for the reference.
    I found my notes and my source was an Anchorage attorney who was obviously wrong.