Thread: ? about buying a rifle or shotgun in AK

Default ? about buying a rifle or shotgun in AK

can a non- res that comes up for a visit buy a rifle or shotgun at say Wal-mart/ gunshop or pawn shop. Thanks

Legally, yes (as long as your state of residence allows you to buy out of state) but not all shops/stores up there will sell to nonresidents.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Call the BATF and ask. Why post that on a forum?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

what the heck can't I post a question

Quote Originally Posted by summitx View Post
    can a non- res that comes up for a visit buy a rifle or shotgun at say Wal-mart/ gunshop or pawn shop. Thanks
    I can't report on Alaska shops, but I CAN report as an Alaskan trying to buy in other states. Without regard for the law (which sezz you can), lots of shops around the country won't sell to non-rez. They call it "store policy" or something along those lines, but I haven't been able to talk my way around it when I've run into it. Other shops are happy to make the sale.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    I can't report on Alaska shops, but I CAN report as an Alaskan trying to buy in other states. Without regard for the law (which sezz you can), lots of shops around the country won't sell to non-rez. They call it "store policy" or something along those lines, but I haven't been able to talk my way around it when I've run into it. Other shops are happy to make the sale.
    Good point. Sounds like I was bashing AK shops for not selling to nonlocals but as you said it's common everywhere. I travel a lot for work (holy cow Phoenix is hot right now) and mostly it's the pawn and small gun shops that won't unless it's in a state that will still only sell to those from connecting states in the first place.
    You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.

Quote Originally Posted by idahoducker View Post
    Good point. Sounds like I was bashing AK shops for not selling to nonlocals but as you said it's common everywhere. I travel a lot for work (holy cow Phoenix is hot right now) and mostly it's the pawn and small gun shops that won't unless it's in a state that will still only sell to those from connecting states in the first place.
    To tell you how crazy it can get, I had the Sportsmans Warehouse in Grand Junction CO turn me down because I was nonrez when I wanted buy a muzzleloader! Idiots.

yup..tried to buy a rifle at Big 5 in Seattle on AK DL; store policy prohibited sale