Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the hunting scene

Default New to the hunting scene

Ok so I am new to hunting. I really want to get into hunting but I do not know where to begin. I am looking to buy a .325 WSM for next season. I have never been hunting so I am really lost when it comes to places to go to and the whole nine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Where do you live, adrien? Some folks here might be willing to help you out in some regard depending on where you're at.

One of the first things you should consider is taking one of the Hunter Education courses offered by ADF&G (Alaska Department of Fish and Game). Not only will it help you with a lot of the basics, but it will also allow you to legally hunt in some areas that are restricted to those who have taken such a course. I also recommend that you get a few books and leaf through them over the winter. Type "hunting book" into the search engine here and you'll find some old threads with many good suggestions. Most of those books can be found at the store here on this website.

Well for starters I live in Anchorage. I will do a search and see what I come up with. Thanks

Well, I'd be happy to sit down with you over a cup of coffee (or a pint of beer, depending on your tastes) to talk hunting - seasons, regulations, areas, drawing permits, etc. I've got a newborn in the house and some hunting of my own to do, so my schedule is a little tight these days, but if you're interested let me know and we'll figure something out.

On a side note, spend lots and lots of time reading here. There is literally a treasure trove of info that has been shared here over the years.

Sweet. Just pm me your contact info and we can talk. Drinks and food on me

Default Alaska Hunting 101

Brian, are you trying to get a free meal again? hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Brian, are you trying to get a free meal again? hehehe
    I'm a teacher. I'll take whatever I can get.

Welcome to Hunting - I'm sure you'll love it!

Cheers

Roo

I would also offer to talk to you, I'm also here in Anchorage. I would also rethink buying a .325 wsm as your first big game center fire rifle, the recoil will get you attention realy quick. I don't know if you have ever shot one or how much rifle experience you may have. Regardless, welcome to the forum and hunting.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill S. View Post
    I would also offer to talk to you, I'm also here in Anchorage. I would also rethink buying a .325 wsm as your first big game center fire rifle, the recoil will get you attention realy quick. I don't know if you have ever shot one or how much rifle experience you may have. Regardless, welcome to the forum and hunting.
    Good point that - I've both .308 and 30-06, both will do the job and both are cheaper for ammunition and more forgiving to an old hunter's shoulder!

Default Excellent advice...esp price of ammo...

-Good info sources for me included: Books by Chris Batin (Hunting in Alaska), Dennis Confer and Tony Russ.

-Chuck Hawks website: has a free side and a subscription side. Well worth the subscription price (recoil data for instance).
    See: http://www.chuckhawks.com/index2.guns.htm

-.325WSM Accubonds = approx $65/box. New to hunting myself, I shot more boxes than anticipated this year.

- Useful comments by others in another thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=25621

Good luck!

Well I am in the military so my weapons experience is up there. I am positive that I have fired weapons with a harder r4ecoil than a .325. What would you recommend?

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntingAgency View Post
    Good point that - I've both .308 and 30-06, both will do the job and both are cheaper for ammunition and more forgiving to an old hunter's shoulder!

I was thinking a 30-06.

It's not my place to ask and we've never met, so for all I know you could be some milti-millionaire, but if you want a great gun for not much money - Howa 1500 Lightning - fabulous - I have 2 of these and they are surgical with the right ammo!

Let us know what you choose and how you get on?

Cheers

Roo

I spent 30 years in the military and shot only .223, 9mm, .38, 12 ga., and 44 mag, none of which have the recoil of a .325. For most, if not all Alaska hunting, a 30.06 is great. ammuniation can be bought just about anywhere, its cheaper, there is a huge variety of rounds and bullets available and its been proven to kill just about anything.

Default Searching

Quote Originally Posted by adrien765 View Post
    Ok so I am new to hunting. I really want to get into hunting but I do not know where to begin. I am looking to buy a .325 WSM for next season. I have never been hunting so I am really lost when it comes to places to go to and the whole nine. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Brian's right, there is a treasure trove of information in here. If you have some specifics like Moose, Sheep or Bear then you'll probably get more answers than what you bargained for.

This is a great community of like-minded individuals and you are on the right track for fast-tracking lessons learned from folks that experience and experiment. WELCOME!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by TheHuntingAgency View Post
    It's not my place to ask and we've never met, so for all I know you could be some milti-millionaire, but if you want a great gun for not much money - Howa 1500 Lightning - fabulous - I have 2 of these and they are surgical with the right ammo!

Let us know what you choose and how you get on?

Cheers

Roo
    Well trust me I am far from a millionaire none the less a multi-millionaire. It would be nice though. I have never heard of a 1500 lighting. You are gonna have to send me a link or two on that.

I spent 30 years in the military and shot only .223, 9mm, .38, 12 ga., and 44 mag, none of which have the recoil of a .325. For most, if not all Alaska hunting, a 30.06 is great. ammuniation can be bought just about anywhere, its cheaper, there is a huge variety of rounds and bullets available and its been proven to kill just about anything.
    Thanks for the advice. I am leaning towards the 30-06. It is a lot cheaper than the .325

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Brian's right, there is a treasure trove of information in here. If you have some specifics like Moose, Sheep or Bear then you'll probably get more answers than what you bargained for.

This is a great community of like-minded individuals and you are on the right track for fast-tracking lessons learned from folks that experience and experiment. WELCOME!
    Sweet....Thanks bro. I am looking to start with the good ole moose

Remember that moose is a lot bigger than you think. I started with caribou and black bear. You can put in for some of the hunts for cow moose, they are a litle smaller. Always have a plan on how you are going to get it out of the woods.
    PM me and we can do lunch or something it you wish.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast