Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autoloading Rifles in 308

Default Autoloading Rifles in 308

For any long range enthusiasts like myself, I shoot a Bushmaster AR2 accurized which I enjoy shooting very much, thinking about aquiring an AR style rifle in 308 for longer downrange shooting, wondered if anyone has tried one of the Panther series or possibly another similiar rifle in 308 like the FAL and how they performed, thanks
    Last edited by Murphy; 09-08-2008 at 08:22.

Selective fire firearms are extremely expensive and prohibited from use in hunting in Alaska. And they usually are inaccurate in the full-auto mode. Some are quite accurate in the semi-auto mode though.

Using a selective fire firearm for target shooting must be nice. Are you a member of the privileged class i.e. leo?
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Assault rifles are full auto by definition.

If the rifle is not full auto capable it is not an assault rifle.

I dont know anyone who has a class III license.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

For the money I would look at a PTR 91. Essentially an H&K clone but in my opinion better built. They can be found for under $1k and I recently bought 10 - 20 rounds mags for mine from "Cheaper Than Dirt" for just a couple of bucks a piece.

I've been looking to replace my HK91 since I sold it 13 years ago to help pay for the birth of my first child. I haven't looked at the PTR's, but your comparison sounds interesting.

I shot my first moose and a DLP brown bear with my HK. A great rifle, but heavy as hell.

I've seriously thought about picking up a Springfield Armory M1A. They're heavy, though.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    Assault rifles are full auto by definition.

If the rifle is not full auto capable it is not an assault rifle.

I dont know anyone who has a class III license.

you do not need a class III license to own a NFA weapon.

Full auto, is the same as short barreled rifles and shotguns, and silencers. A tax stamp, background check and 200 check are all that are required

Default 308

After I got back from OIF I purchased a Bushmaster BAR10. I know that there has been a lot of bad reports on this rifle but in over three years of shooting it has not failed me. I have it set up for what I consider long range shooting, 300+ yards. I have taken three caribou with this rifle and the closest shot was this year at 310 yards. It is NOT full-auto, semi auot only and it is legal to use for big game. The first year I was using it, another hunter mentioned that it was TOO light in case I had to shot a grizzly bear. My reply was 'that if the first shot does not work then there will be 19 more to follow'. To date we have not have any issues with bear. I would like to use it for wolves this winter but have another weapons that I am setting up for wolves.
    Good luck on finding a rifle that meets you demands.

Default NOT AR based, but...

I recently had a chance to use my oldest son's SOCOM 16 at extended range targets, and it's impressive. I really thought before I shot it that it was just another bullet thrower, but the little bugger shoots WELL! Biggest problem I see with it is keeping bullets supersonic past 800 yards considering the velocity drop with the abbreviated barrel. Tumbling bullets aren't accurate no matter what they're shot out of.
    I keep pinging away with an M1 Garand and my 03's and A3's. They WILL deliver out to 1K yards effectively! A bit heavy, but the needle on the Cool-O-Rama Meter stays pegged when they get uncased at the range.......

Default Saiga 308

I bought a Saiga in 308 with the 20 inch barrel it has the reliability of an AK in 308 it does have itís range limitations not much good past 550 Ė 600 yards. After converting it looks sweet and shoots just as fast as I can pull the trigger with not much recoil the 74 type brake I put on it keeps it steady I have about 475 dollars in it for the money itís hard to beat. It is what it is a very cheap .308 thats very dependable.
    Ted Kennedyís car has killed more people than my gun!

Quote Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
    For any long range enthusiasts like myself, I shoot a Bushmaster AR2 accurized which I enjoy shooting very much, thinking about aquiring an AR style rifle in 308 for longer downrange shooting, wondered if anyone has tried one of the Panther series or possibly another similiar rifle in 308 like the FAL and how they performed, thanks

Since you don't seem to have a firm grasp of what the Autoloading Rifles are called I edited your post to reflect what you are posting about.

Armalite and others make long line 308 chambered rifles (called AAR-10's) on the AR platform. There are many companies making match grade rifles with stainless match barrels of about 24" and free floated. Armalite, Stag, DPMS and Rock River to name a few.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Mr Murphy,
    The term assault rifle is commonly used to refer to semi auto firearms such as the Bushmaster, FAL, M-14 etc. The legislation formerly outlawing such firearms as these was officially referred to as the ASSAULT RIFLE BAN, and any gunner reading the post should have understood what I was referring to, esp. since I specifically identified the DPMS Panther series, while I realize some gunners make a distinction with the term assault rifle that is by no means universal among gun enthusiast, that's a little heavy handed to change my posts like that

What long range, what are is the target?

I have shot the AR15 type with iron sites out to 600 yds and they do quite well punching holes in paper. People have used the 5.56 past 600 with heavy bullets, but I don't know much about it...

Ditto for the m14 series w/irons sights, using both a custom M1A and a TRW Match Grade A M14. I have shot these at 600, 800, 900 and 1000 yds. With the 173 gr ball or SMK 175 or 180 grain bullets, they shoot quite well past 600 as well.

good barrels, good triggers, good ammo, the limitation has been me.

These are match rifles and would be quite heavy to hunt with and slower to get into action.

Note the 6.5 cartridges on the AR platfrom are shootoing quite well across the course as well.

My vote: the M1A platform over the FN for a longe range self loader in 7.62. The technology to and methods to accurize is well known , you get get a get set of sights with windage and a good trigger...

Thanks!

I understood your post and am also looking into a 308 style long range AR. Just have not made up my mind yet and look forward to these responses.

The definition of "Assault Rifle" is different depending were you look. Can be both Automatic or Semi depending on what definition you choose to personally to adopt. Here are a couple out of the few hundred that is probably out there.

Here is one from our favorite "Wikipedia" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assault_rifle

Another definition from Merriam-Websterís on line dictionary: http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/assault+rifle

Will Holden

Yeah if I was talking iron sights the M1a would be my pick.
    I'm planning on setting up a precision .308 with scope for ranges up to 1000 yds. (target) I like my Bushmaster out to 300-400 yds but I have misgivings about a 68 gr. bullet beyond 400 yds, though I guess in good conditions you can push it further, though I'm not sure you can reliably repeat that in real world conditions.
    I hear some people using the DPMS in .308 are getting sub moa with these 'assault' rifles ( ) which is one claim I wanted to verify with owners who shoot them. Some sources are claiming the DPSM is on par with bolts delivering sub moa precision, which would make for a very interesting rifle if that is indeed true.

77 and 80 gr SMK work great out to 600 in the 20in AR15; both duplicate the 30 CAL 168/175 characteristics in the 7.62 out to that range,
    The 24 in barrel on a space gun AR is more of the same...
    Reliably and repeatable on my AR style gas guns, irons or scope

Sierra makes 90 gr bullets too, no experience or comment on those, something to learn about

Creedmore Armory markets the Demille/tubbs rifles, which look interesting.

I do think you wuld have a better scope mounting system and scope shootability on any of the AR flat tops than an FN type rifle

Buy one of each...that seems to be my solution!

I love the way the word smiths have made an adjective into a noun!

I have more than a few AR's none of them have attacked anything other than paper. How these, assault rifles?

I suppose it rather like a knife and fork used at dinner time?

I would not shoot a .308 across the course when the 6.5mm beats them hands down for wind drift. If I'm going to shoot 1,000 give me a bull gun bolt action every time. The 6.5/284 is good and the Tubb 6mm are the tops. These are done up as tube guns using a Remington 700 action and make the best switch barrel rifles. Take a look at Dave Tubbs rifles.

http://www.davidtubb.com/

You can get by for less money and have as good a rifle by buying the parts and having the rifle put together, save the Federal 10% tax. No auto loading rifle shoots with these tube guns.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Great comments, I just found a Remington 700 VS with that nice looking H & S Precision stock in LH I decided to buy at a pretty nice price, a little hard to come by in .308 right now, esp LH. I suppose this will keep me out of trouble since assault rifles are illegal right now in Ca

I have been intrigued with the 90/.223 gr bullet (can't recall which twist rate it uses) for some time, should be a more stable bullet with a little more punching power at more extended ranges. Of course that's one advantage of the 30 cal when you might need to punch thru a barrier

5.56 vs 7.62 penetration
    the M855 ball projectile will reliably penetrate the M1 steel helmet up to 800 meters
    the M80 ball projectile will not reliably do so
    both fired from a 20 inch barrel..
    something to think about
    A LAW works great to penetrate barrier

Quote Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
    Mr Murphy,
    The term assault rifle is commonly used to refer to semi auto firearms such as the Bushmaster, FAL, M-14 etc. The legislation formerly outlawing such firearms as these was officially referred to as the ASSAULT RIFLE BAN, and any gunner reading the post should have understood what I was referring to, esp. since I specifically identified the DPMS Panther series, while I realize some gunners make a distinction with the term assault rifle that is by no means universal among gun enthusiast, that's a little heavy handed to change my posts like that
    Your logic is like saying: a Cessna 150 is an F-15 Eagle. Just because they fly they are not the same thing. Same-same with firearms. And the 1994 ban was written "Assault Weapon Ban" because the anti-civil right bigots knew ignorant people would not know the difference.

You do not know what the correct term is, and are ignorant of the terminology to describe families of firearms, as it appears others are here who posted. Generally, among the well-informed, using the correct terminology automatically identifies the family, and since you did not do this, the well-informed has corrected you. You should say "thank you".
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast