Thread: Muzzle loarder certs

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Default Muzzle loarder certs

There is a class on the 4th of OCT here in fairbanks... we need more attendees I have been rescheduled 2 times now.. F&G says they need at least 5 students to carry it forward. IF you know, any one interested in shooting here is a good way to get their feet wet. class is 20.00 and all materials/muzzle loaders, are included.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    There is a class on the 4th of OCT here in fairbanks... we need more attendees I have been rescheduled 2 times now.. F&G says they need at least 5 students to carry it forward. IF you know, any one interested in shooting here is a good way to get their feet wet. class is 20.00 and all materials/muzzle loaders, are included.
    Boy, I'll sure second that Vince! It's a heck of a class, even if you're not sure you want to hunt with one. There couldn't be a safer (or cheaper) way to try your hand at it, meanwhile learning all you need to know about safety, care and feeding of muzzleloaders, and a fair bit about actual hunting rather than just range stuff. There's classroom time with a written test, plus range time and a shooting test. For several hours you're free to shoot all sorts of muzzleloader components, the cost of which is covered in your course fees. I'm betting I shot $40 worth of it for my $20 entry fee.

The written test isn't tough- It's just stuff you covered in class.

The shooting test has to be one of the most liberal in history. You just have to put 3 shots into a 6" group at 50 yards- From any position!!!!! You can do it in your sleep if you're any kind of shooter at all.

Two "best of all" points:

You'll meet and enjoy folks who you'll like a lot.
    Your certification is good for muzzleloader hunts in other states. That opens the door to some really outstanding hunting opportunities in other states, just like it does in Alaska.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

and when they signed me up AGAIN... there were still only two people in the class.... lots of room avalible.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

was at adfg in Fairbanks today the class is full thanks all... i finally get to learn about smoke poles

meet on face book here

was at adfg in Fairbanks today the class is full thanks all... i finally get to learn about smoke poles
    Congrats! You'll really enjoy yourself, both in class and later.

And here's a side note from another user:

The class is shot with Knight stainless inlines in 50 caliber, and a huge variety of bullets and powders is provided for you to shoot. Shoot as much as you can and have a ball!

But when it comes time to buy, give some thought to what else you'll use your own gun for in addition to big game hunting. Inlines are pumped as "easier to clean" and they're not. They're also pumped as "longer range." In fact they're not because you can't use scopes during the special muzzleloading seasons. In fact, they're a whole lot less versatile than traditional sidelock guns, which I use a whole bunch offseason for small game hunting and general plinking. The traditionals are also really cheap to shoot using roundballs, whether you buy them or cast your own.

I've got inlines too, that I bought early in my muzzleloading "career." They're fun to shoot and effective, but I bet I haven't shot mine in 3 years. They're just not something you use for anything but big game hunting.

just finished the class and had a great time... still have to do the drive home in all the slop and slush but was worth the trip. the cool thing was i drug the 10 yr old boy along this morning. they let him sign up even thought the class was over full and helped him with the written portion of the exam.. he was uncertain of the 50 cal at first but started him off with 50 grains and got him shooting. great instructors and staff up here in Fairbanks it was well worth the 20 bucks for the experiance...

we both passed i guess now i have to decide which ones to buy. and looks like i need 2.........

meet on face book here

we both passed i guess now i have to decide which ones to buy. and looks like i need 2.........
    Congrats all the way round! Best news is the new hunting pard.

Get one inline and one side lock. That way you have both styles and you and your boy can trade off.
    I have a couple of Flintlocks, a cap lock, and an inline and I like the inline the best. Now brown bear will say the just the opposite but it is all in what you want. They are all muzzleloaders and thats what counts!