Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

Thread: Current conditions on the Kenai

  1. #1
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default Current conditions on the Kenai

    We suppose to fish the Kenai next week for rainbows.
    What are the current conditions like?
    The weather reports say strong winds (15 mph) and rain, rain and more rain.
    More importantly how is the fishing?

    thanks in advance

  2. #2
    Member DRIFTER_016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Yellowknife, NWT
    Posts
    3,318

    Default

    Fishing is ok. Not stupendous but not bad either.
    River is high but clear. Currently running at 7100 CFS (about 2800 above normal) and 11.25 feet (about 2 feet above normal)

  3. #3

    Default

    Saturday we couldn`t cross Skilak from the river...6-8 footers at the lake for a while...and no 'bows or dollies caught. It was very windy and raining but it made for an adventure.

  4. #4
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    My buddy Drifter016 is down there right now. I got a report from him yesterday that the water is still running a bit high. Wind and rain is very common but does not effect the fishing to much from what i have seen. The wind can put a damper on your casts sometimes but you can adapt. He reported fishing is good but not hot yet. Several fish in the mid to upper 20's but no hogs landed. I got that report from him yesterday moning, Sunday. im headed down in a week for 12 days and cannot wait
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  5. #5
    Member liv2fish87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    278

    Default had 1 of my best days ever sunday

    me and my buddy went saturday night to check out the evening bite and to see what was working for sunday.. found out our bead color after catching atleast 20 fish in 3 hrs of floating most 20 +... though there are some Nemos in the river... either way we found our color of champions and put them on our rods sunday each with a slightly diff tint... found out what was working and we must of had 40 fish in that boat from 8 in the morning till 530. it was awesome! i plan to go down this weekend and do the same.. OPEN SEAT

  6. #6
    New member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2

    Default

    Any update on what rivers are fishing well?
    They say the Russian is fishable and is doing ok.
    Quartz creek is unfishable.
    The Kenai is running very high.
    They also say that the Silvers will be gone by next week
    which is ok cause we are targeting Rainbows.

  7. #7

    Default silver

    If your talking about the kenai, then I dont know who told you the silvers will be gone by next week, but the second run is just starting.

  8. #8
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    me and my buddy went saturday night to check out the evening bite and to see what was working for sunday.. found out our bead color after catching atleast 20 fish in 3 hrs of floating most 20 +... though there are some Nemos in the river... either way we found our color of champions and put them on our rods sunday each with a slightly diff tint... found out what was working and we must of had 40 fish in that boat from 8 in the morning till 530. it was awesome! i plan to go down this weekend and do the same.. OPEN SEAT

    Were you into that bottle of port that june and I turned you onto. Talk about inflating the numbers , Just joshing you. So you gonna be coming down anytime while im down there during my vacation/ On saturday the 20th I need a spot for a buddy. June is coming down and Im not putting 3 people on my cat lol. let me know you have my number right
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  9. #9
    Member liv2fish87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    278

    Default chuck

    If i would have had the port you turned us onto me and sam would have been beligerant by jims landing and probably wouldnt have found rides!!!! hahahaha.. but yeah, i told you... i go down EVERY weekend! Except my boss just got my number from me ... im not to stoked on what this could bring. either way yeah i can hopefully be down there and have that spot for your buddy as long as he catches fish.... otherwise.... off the boat he goes! haha just kidding! I'll even talk to my boss about making sure he leaves me alone on the 20th! I dont know if i have your number, when you gave it to me i called it hoping my new phone could save more than 15 numbers but cellphones these days arent what the money im paying for them should be. so if you saved mine... call me and leave me a msg during the day or get ahold of me after 7 i get off then. otherwise msg me....and btw... none of that was a fishermans tail... cuervo channel was 10x more productive than last week! so be prepared my friend.

    Bring beer.

    Jose

  10. #10
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by liv2fish87 View Post
    If i would have had the port you turned us onto me and sam would have been beligerant by jims landing and probably wouldnt have found rides!!!! hahahaha.. but yeah, i told you... i go down EVERY weekend! Except my boss just got my number from me ... im not to stoked on what this could bring. either way yeah i can hopefully be down there and have that spot for your buddy as long as he catches fish.... otherwise.... off the boat he goes! haha just kidding! I'll even talk to my boss about making sure he leaves me alone on the 20th! I dont know if i have your number, when you gave it to me i called it hoping my new phone could save more than 15 numbers but cellphones these days arent what the money im paying for them should be. so if you saved mine... call me and leave me a msg during the day or get ahold of me after 7 i get off then. otherwise msg me....and btw... none of that was a fishermans tail... cuervo channel was 10x more productive than last week! so be prepared my friend.

    Bring beer.

    Jose

    Bring Beer. This is not my first Rodeo pal. LOL. I never got your number. Mine is 230-0242. it is my Cell, home and camp phone. I do not and will not carry it on the river. As that is my time. Ill be heading out tuesday around noon. Shoot me your number and we can work it out. See you soon and Ill be outfishing your butt sooner than you can imagine
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  11. #11

    Default

    Where do you park a trailer for camping since all the campgrounds appear to be closed? That or the Reservation system has collapsed. Wanted to hit the Russian/Kenai area.

  12. #12
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Thumbs up camping

    Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Where do you park a trailer for camping since all the campgrounds appear to be closed? That or the Reservation system has collapsed. Wanted to hit the Russian/Kenai area.

    They leave 2 of the campgrounds open at the russian river, The rainbow trout loop and the king salmon loop. There restrooms are open but bring your own supplies. There is no trash pickup or water. It is the time of the year that the russian is so nice. Just a few trout guys. Peacefull and quiet. It is nice to be camping there and not have to hear a %$^%##% generator from 6am untill 11pm. I find it so beautiful this time of the year there. Lots of wildlife (small critters) running around. Had some great horned owls hanging out for a few days last year. Man did they shut the squirrels up for sure. Also I believe the leave one of the cooper creek campgrounds open also. Hope this helps
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  13. #13

    Default

    That helps a ton, thanks. I may be one of those running a genny for an hour or so if I make it down. I need to charge my battery every once in a while. My apologies a head of time. Any recent reports on the Russian or Quartz?

  14. #14
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default gennys

    for an hour or so is understood. It is the ones that run from 6am untill 9am when they head to the river then turn them on as soon as they get back to camp and run it all night because they are watching a DVD or some crap. I dont have a problem with it used for charging a bit. It seems the ones who have to run them all night also have the loudest ones too. I have not gotten an update in the last day or two. Im sure quartz has gone to heck due to the rain. Im guessing it is all blown up. Im sure the russian is up but it does not seem to get as "dirty" as quartz does. Im heading down either way. Rain has to, or im hoping let up and the water on the kenai does drop pretty quick. Stop by and say hi and share a cold one when your down there
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  15. #15
    Member liv2fish87's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    278

    Default this guy

    It'll be a hoot.

  16. #16

    Default

    If I make it down, I will take you up on that.

  17. #17
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    all the dollies were gone from quartz last thursday, I saw more rainbows than dollies a first for me at quartz creek... Although they might show up again on a spawning run sometime soon...

    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

  18. #18
    Member alaskachuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Anchorage, Alaska, United States
    Posts
    3,256

    Default beautiful

    That is a beautiful bow there monkey. Im surprised that the dollys were not there. Usually they are stacked in there and getting to the bows is the challenge. Thanks for the report
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

  19. #19
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Chandler, Arizona
    Posts
    632

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    for an hour or so is understood. It is the ones that run from 6am untill 9am when they head to the river then turn them on as soon as they get back to camp and run it all night because they are watching a DVD or some crap. I dont have a problem with it used for charging a bit. It seems the ones who have to run them all night also have the loudest ones too. I have not gotten an update in the last day or two. Im sure quartz has gone to heck due to the rain. Im guessing it is all blown up. Im sure the russian is up but it does not seem to get as "dirty" as quartz does. Im heading down either way. Rain has to, or im hoping let up and the water on the kenai does drop pretty quick. Stop by and say hi and share a cold one when your down there
    Darn you genny haters! LOL!

    See ya in 4 days!

  20. #20
    Member ak_powder_monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Eagle River/ Juneau
    Posts
    5,154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    That is a beautiful bow there monkey. Im surprised that the dollys were not there. Usually they are stacked in there and getting to the bows is the challenge. Thanks for the report
    The salmon are gone and with the salmon so go the dollies, they sure disappear fast.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •