Thread: First Alaskan Canvasbacks

Default First Alaskan Canvasbacks

I shot my first Alaskan Canvasback this morning at the hayflats. I wasn't really expecting to see cans out there. Mostly we only shoot puddle ducks. We also shot a buffelhead out there this morning. My buddy shot another Canvasback a few minutes after I shot mine. Over all it was a slow morning. We could have limited out if we would have paid more attention to the birds flying around. Nothing like watching a single duck flying around miles away, and calling at him, only to turn around in time to watch 20 widgeon rocket through the spread, and speed off. Another thing we had going against us, was my buddy forgot his key to his safety on his 870. Making it a 7 lb paper weight. We had to keep switching guns out with him. We won't be letting him forget about that.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Nice job on the cans. I've been waiting 20 years to pick one up in the hayflats. Were there many other guns out there?

There were about 5 other guys out there.

wtg! dude.Man with one Canvasback as a limit thats a great job.Ive wondered about them up here in North Pole but never seen one.Congrats!

Default cans

great job i have been wanting to shoot one since i started duck hunting a few years ago. daniel i have been seeing them on engineer lake here on post was about 15 the other day just wish they would come by me were i can shoot them congrats again on your bird

Way to go on the king of ducks. I forgot the key to the safety lock on my 870 once too.......hasn't been engaged since.

Default I too

was fortunate to pick up a can. Also know of two others on opening day. My first was on a hunt I was on, on Mississippi. many years ago. The most in one year was 3 or 4. Last year was the first I diden't get one in quite a few years. Truely the best eating.

My hunting partner and I each picked one up yesterday, even though it was a slow day hunting. They are truely the king of ducks!

Default Canvasbacks Good Eating?

Are canvasbacks good eating? I normally pass up diving ducks because I worry they will taste awful due to the huge amount of fish they eat... Should I be hitting myself over the head and saying "idiot" three times fast now?

I got my first one of the year this weekend also. We have found that our divers eat a lot of snails. They seems to taste pretty good to me.

Limetrude

If you are passing up cans and buffelheads you are really missing out. Cans are pretty good to eat, but buffelheads are awesome. We call them butterballs back home, due to their tablefare. I have eaten quite a few bluebills, and ringnecks, but a long time ago. I can't really remember what they taste like. I don't remember not liking them though. The only ducks I really don't care for are spoonbills, goldeneyes, mergansers, and ruddy ducks.

Thanks Matt. I saw at the pit after work coming home a double banded Harlequin.Dude I so wish we could shoot there And Monday I was headed to town cutting thru the backside just looking at the river and saw a bunch of Mergansers.Imagine eating one of them ugh.Dogs where whinning so I had to leave.
    Maybe this weekend Ill get out again,see you in the field.

Default Cans

My brothers and I grew up near the Chesapeake Bay, and our hunting was for Cans and Bluebills over large spreads of decoys. We used hotel-like stake blinds out in the middle of the river, and sometimes we'd brush our boat with cedar boughs. Cans are the best eating duck...they never eat fish, mussels or animal do-do. I'd trade 200 buffles for one can. After a while we were able to pass up the goldeneyes, buffles, and ruddies as we got better with our skills, shooting and ID. Our boat was a big old scow with a 3HP. It took us hours to get anywhere. As we grew up we were able to afford more, and got some good hunts in the marshes for Blacks and Mallards. After 40 some years of waterfowl, some of my best memories were the cans - the King of the Ducks.

My brother always seems to get a couple around Anchorage. Cheers.