Thread: Sight Question

Default Sight Question

I bought a Marlin 1895G chambered for 45/70 about a week ago. I just had the chance to get the Iron sights tweaked in. It seems to be a great shooter for what it is out to about 150 yards. I get 2" groups at 100 yards with iron now I'm no great marksman so that's great for me. That raises my question, I have never owned a weapon with a scope. I also have never used ghost rings. I hate the stock sights on the gun now and would like to up grade to a scope or ghost rings. The rings are much less expensive AND they are less likely to fail in the bush. I am also not sure how ghost rings do in a twilight type lighting. The factory sights are almost impossible to see at dusk. Would the ghost rings be better? Or do I just go with a fixed Leupold FX-II Scout Rifle Scope 2.5x 28mm. My concern is that this will be my main bear defense so a scope combined with a huge pucker factor... could be good for the bear I guess. Any advise / experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by iammarkjones View Post
    I bought a Marlin 1895G chambered for 45/70 about a week ago. I just had the chance to get the Iron sights tweaked in. It seems to be a great shooter for what it is out to about 150 yards. I get 2" groups at 100 yards with iron now I'm no great marksman so that's great for me. That raises my question, I have never owned a weapon with a scope. I also have never used ghost rings. I hate the stock sights on the gun now and would like to up grade to a scope or ghost rings. The rings are much less expensive AND they are less likely to fail in the bush. I am also not sure how ghost rings do in a twilight type lighting. The factory sights are almost impossible to see at dusk. Would the ghost rings be better? Or do I just go with a fixed Leupold FX-II Scout Rifle Scope 2.5x 28mm. My concern is that this will be my main bear defense so a scope combined with a huge pucker factor... could be good for the bear I guess. Any advise / experience would be greatly appreciated.
    Mark
    The ghost rings are nice, the larger the better as far as dim light goes. I have had problems with them near dusk at close range but then my eyes are not what they were when I was younger. The human eye will dilate to approximately 7mm in dim light (the rapidity with which they do this is age related - young eyes will adapt much quicker) hence the ideal peep/aperture sight would have a 7mm hole (.276 in) in it which is somewhat larger than is normal. The eye will naturally tend to center the front sight in the aperture so the smaller ones are really for target work. A good dim light scope should have a 7 mm exit pupil, anything larger just provides more latitude in eye placement/alignment behind the scope (divide the front/objective lens diameter by the power to get the exit pupil diameter if it isn't listed). Fortunately low power scopes also have a wide field of view which helps in rapid target acquisition. I use scopes exclusively since my eyesight has declined (I see two rear sights unless it is very bright). Hope this helps.

Default Sights

I have AO ghost ring sights on my 1895 and it's one of the fastest sights available. However, it doesn't do much for low light conditions. For your situation, I'd go with a good low power variable, i.e. 1-4, 2-6, such as the Leupold 1-4 or Burris Fullfield 1.5-5. Barring that, the Leupold you mention is a good choice, too.

Mike

Thank you for the advise on both the scopes and the Ghost rings. Since my eyes seem to be slipping since I first started hunting I think a scope is my way to go. I will look at a good 1X4 under about $400.00. Again thanks.