Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kodiak Road System Hunts for Sitka Blacktail Deer

Angry Kodiak Road System Hunts for Sitka Blacktail Deer

If you are planning on a road system hunt in Kodiak you might want to check to see which lands are owned by Leisnoi Corporation. According to the article they are no longer allowing hunting on their lands. It might be that it has no effect, but I think it effects all the clear cuts in Chiniak as well as other areas frequented by hunters.

http://www.kodiakdailymirror.com/?pid=19&id=6625

Is there a map of their lands available anywhere? At least when I deal with the other Native Corps on Kodiak, CIRI, Chugach and Ahatna they have maps available and are willing to work with you on hunting. I couldn't find a thing from Leisnoi Corporation anywhere.

Do they have land on anything beside Woody Island?

They own some or all? in the cliff point area, and they also own behind Kalsin pond, chiniak area, and many other areas as well.

TTT

Serious issue for anyone planning to hunt the roadsystem. My guess is that's about 75% of the roadsystem off limits this now. Do your research.
    http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/plann...k/indexmap.htm

Oh man, that's ugly. The only good news compared to the rest of the state is that there are numerous easements to cross the land to get to the other side. The last 6 miles of the Saltery Trail are O.K., but that doesn't leave much land to squeeze in all the hunters. Pasagshak Rd. is OK for the last 10 miles or so.

How does this effect the locals? Are there a lot of deer hunters in Kodiak proper, or is it mostly out of town hunters? How many members of the Leisnoi Corporation are there? Is there any possibility of negotiating with them to secure hunting by foot and not ATV?

How would this effect road system goat permits that have already been giving out?

Default lesnoi lands

it is hard to tell from the maps on the state of alaska website how far off of the roads their land goes. From the article in the paper it sounds like you might be able to get a permit to hike across their property and then hunt on state land, since you would not be hunting on their property.
    As far as the road system goat permits - a lot of the north road system may be on their land, but it looks like their are some areas on the south road system that would be on state land.
    Summary - looks like a person needs to get the best map they can and then plan from there.
    good luck to all

The maps on the link above are pretty clear. http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/mlw/plann...pdf/kod_c2.pdf Looking at this link it would be pretty easy to put the boundaries of the sections in a GPS and deal with it. Still disapointing that they won't allow foot traffic hunting.

Looks like there are a ton of trail easements and most of the major trails to the backcountry are covered. I personally would look into the trails and see if there's an easement. If so, I wouldn't pay a dime for a permit.

Default Let's wait and see

I don't know how they are going to enforce this. Looking at the map I see it covers the Olds river so duck hunting is out, along with the majority of the road system. If they get serious about this it could cause an uproar amoung hunters here. Maybe it's time to do a little research and find out what buisnesses are owned by shareholders and boycott them.

Wow, by looking at the map it shows that the goat hunting area would be reduced to just a few places.

It's too bad that they are having to put the hammer down on lands that they hadn't utilized or even surveyed over several years (10+). Obviously if they had use for the lands they would have been out there several years earlier noticing these things.

What I don't understand is why target hunters in this? They state in the article that hunting is no longer allowed, period. This doesn't sound like putting a policy back in place from the early 90's but more targeting a specific user group of these lands. Why wouldn't they allow "permits" for hunting but they will for other uses? Even tree cutting I could understand on a permit basis. It really sounds like somebody pissed them off.

Angry

They will have most of the community against them. They will hurt the sporting goods stores here in Kodiak and the tourism business for the hunters that come here for deer season. They have effectively shut down rabbit hunting for me and duck hunting for those who use to do it here.
    The letters to the editor in the local paper have just started. They have really stirred a hornets nest. By looking at the map this was their intentions all along, cherry pick all the land that the local could use and cut them out. I would not doubt that there will be hunting permitted in the future but they will try to make a mint off the white man:-(

Quote Originally Posted by akflyfisher View Post
    They will have most of the community against them. They will hurt the sporting goods stores here in Kodiak and the tourism business for the hunters that come here for deer season. They have effectively shut down rabbit hunting for me and duck hunting for those who use to do it here.
    The letters to the editor in the local paper have just started. They have really stirred a hornets nest. By looking at the map this was their intentions all along, cherry pick all the land that the local could use and cut them out. I would not doubt that there will be hunting permitted in the future but they will try to make a mint off the white man:-(
    Here is an editorial that pretty well describes local feelings.

Angry leisnoi lands

I was born and raised in Kodiak, Alaska. As a child i was taught to substance hunt and fish. Our recreational activities included boating, 4-wheeling, hiking, picnicking , berry picking, ect... generally anything outdoors. Kodiak is a small town, on an island in Alaska. Our activities are limited! The reason people live here is because they enjoy what the island offers them. Leisnoi is taking away the freedom of the Kodiak people by putting them on a Big Brother type system, charging fees and limiting the land usage. With our economy in the Sh!*er and the cost of living in Kodiak I think it is really crummy timing for Leisnoi to prohibit hunting for the subsistence hunter.

I as well as others in this town will not give up without a fight.

1st step is to continue on with activities as usual, and we'll see who is going to be enforcing these rules.
    2nd We'll start by finding out who the Lesnoi shareholders are and boycott their businesses.

Default lesnoi lands

I am not from Kodiak - I am from Eagle River but my son and I just returned from spending a week on the island goat hunting and fishing. It was his first trip there. We both enjoyed our stay and plan on returning next year to fish for sure and possibly hunt. We will be watching this issue and if it is enforced, I know that we will be looking at businesses owned by Lesnoi shareholders and boycotting those businesses. Wherever, my sons and I have gone hunting or fishing we have always been extremely careful about leaving the areas we are in as clean as possible when we leave. We don't like seeing other peoples trash so we don't leave any for others. We hope this issue is resolved to allow hunting and fishing to continue.

Its crap like this that makes me want to go into politics...

Alaska is slowly turning into the lower 48... Except instead of rich folks raping/locking up the land its the native corporations.

Native corporations of all folks should not bar their neighbors from practicing subsistence hunting.

The corporations are driving a wedge between races, then complaining about racism. Totally ridiculous
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

The good news is that most of the land probably isn't posted and theres this handy definition in the state statutes...

(b) For purposes of this section, a person who, without intent to commit a crime on the land, enters or remains upon unimproved and apparently unused land, which is neither fenced nor otherwise enclosed in a manner designed to exclude intruders, is privileged to do so unless (1) notice against trespass is personally communicated to that person by the owner of the land or some other authorized person; or (2) notice against trespass is given by posting in a reasonably conspicuous manner under the circumstances. (c) A notice against trespass is given if the notice (1) is printed legibly in English; (2) is at least 144 square inches in size; (3) contains the name and address of the person under whose authority the property is posted and the name and address of the person who is authorized to grant permission to enter the property; (4) is placed at each roadway and at each way of access onto the property that is known to the landowner; (5) in the case of an island, is placed along the perimeter at each cardinal point of the island; and (6) states any specific prohibition that the posting is directed against, such as "no trespassing," "no hunting," "no fishing," "no digging," or similar prohibitions.
    In other words if its not posted and a landowner hasn't told you to leave and you aren't doing anything against state statues, you're golden...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default What is the AK Code?

Powder Monkey - What is the Alaska Code that you posted?

I believe that is why they posted it in the newspaper, so everyone knows they don't allow you to hunt on their property.
    Yes, this will definitely cause a rift between natives and non-natives in this small community. I hope they have a change of heart before it gets out of hand.

PowderMonkey- We have been through this before. Posting that their lands are not open to hunting through a newspaper of record appears to be enough to satisfy the law. It will take someone who has money to burn to take it to court and they will likely lose. What Lesnoi is doing is the same thing as other Native Corps are doing with their land. Too bad Lesnoi doesn't realize how much money they could make by selling a yearly pass on their lands.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast