Thread: Haul Road in October

Default Haul Road in October

I plan on heading up there in the begining of october, but I was wondering if i do the 5 mile hike how to keep the pickup from freezing up while I am out. Does anyone have any experiance with this?

I did go up there last winter in November stayed for one night. Temperature at night was 5 degrees and yes my truck is a deisel. I started it first thing when i got up in the morning and had no problems. Run it before hitting the bed and start it before you remember where you are. I'd think you'd be fine as long as you didn't leave it for days.

If you're worried, use an auto start set to start every four hours. Otherwise, you could bring a generator and plug it in; I've seen a few trucks parked for days while plugged into a generator.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Default Charcoal

Take a bag of charcoal and a parachute or big tarp. If your rig freezes up you can light the charcoal under the engine with the tarp draped over the hood to hold the heat in. In a pinch it can thaw things out good, saved me a couple of times.

Danjordan +1 on that advice! It has never failed me.

Thanks for tip, that is a really great idea. Do yall have any other tips for an Oct. hunt up there? I have done the trip in Aug. and was wondering if there were any tips to make the trip better. I know its going to be cold and probably snowy, but what kind of comfort things would make it better?

Jake convincing my wife that i need to go up with ya will make the trip better. My first trip up there was an early Oct hunt. That year one day would be freezing cold the next would be nice and toasty. It would snow one day and then melt the next. So you have to plan for both. I will say the tundra's not half bad to walk on when it's half frozen (might even be drivable lmao) j/k. Also camo is tough when the ground is dusted with snow.
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?