Thread: Sag river -video clip

Default Sag river -video clip

LINK TO CLIP MY SON TOOK SHOWING MOST OF TRIP FROM MAIN CHANNEL TO MILE 50 LAUNCH.
    NOTHING SPECTACULAR JUST A SHALLOW RUN IN PLACES PROBABLY 2-3 INCHES DEEP IN PLACES. GETS ALOT EASIER AFTER GETTING TO MAIN CHANNEL
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J43tve19OIg
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Default nice

That 13 footer of yours is one sweet performing boat. I sort of wish I would have bought it when you were selling it. It is just not quite enough boat for a family boat. Too many toys not enough money!
    A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

www.arcticconcealment.com

That sure looked spooky when the reflection from the sun had shown the bottom. I see there was even a caribou rack in the boat so i asume he was hauling some meat too. Sure is amazing the places that little boat will haul a load.

What kinda boat is that, to travel in 3 inches of water???

Default Curious

What kind of boat and motor setup. That video is wicked cool.

I love my little toy. 13 foot long, 175hp sportjet wt 1400#
    needs knee deep water to get going and not suck rocks and gravel but will run in 1-2 inches of water. and have slid it 10+ yards over dry gravel two of us in the bioat and had 2-1/2 caribou and 5 caribou heads when i did that oops and got away with it
    heavy duty bottom center is is 3/8" sides of bottom are 1/4" then has 1/2" uhmw (plastic) bottom with 13" wide 5/8 " thick strip over keel. so it is built to take some serious abuse. this boat is little but a serious performer and rated to carry #1800.
    this boat makes me look good and in the hands of a good jet boat driver it would be unbelievable.
    boat was built in Grande Praire , Alberta by extreme jets. to my knowledge he is not in business any more but was associated with Outlaw Marine in Red Deer , Alberta. and Riddle Marine in Idaho. not sure if anyone is building any 13 footers they were doing 16 footers. mine was built for the builders hunting partner.
    the footage was shot last day of hunt and was just for photos we did that run. I did not have meat in it then but when it was heavy same spot was not a problem
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Pat, that's a dangerous video to post, you sure make running that stretch look easy! I love that little boat of yours, but I sure do like being able to haul all my gear up there and set up camp away from the roads. One of these years I'd like to do a tandem trip with you up the river and show you what our methods to the madness is up there.

Very nice boat set up you got there. Can a 16 ft jon boat with a jet on it run that river it looks pretty shallow in some place's. just woundering.

big daddy, thanx
    i knew when i bought this i would not be happy with 16 foot tunnel hull with 50hp. bit the bullet and got close to what i wanted....no 16 foot versions of this avail on short notice just happened to find this one and i have never regretted it other than i wish it was USA made. only so i could do big game transporting. nothing wrong with this boat it is super.
    yes a 16 ft jon boat can if not overloaded, too many guys go up and have 2-3 others and a ton of gear. tunnel better 2 guys and moderate gear.
    until on main channel there are areas 3-4 inches deep if not less. power is your friend in this kind of running.
    then braids out by bluffs on ivashak.....also plenty of iffy areas to get there, but first mile is toughest until way up stream.
    obviously water depth is important and changes as it gets later , no rain and freezing in mtns

Default Ak nimrod.....

I plan on running my phantom sportjon up the Ivashak the 1st of Sep. With all your experience up there, what do you think? I've been running rivers all my life but only for a year in AK. Been in most of the rivers in the valley but most of it was pretty easy. Only a few places 4-6". Thoughts?