Thread: Barrel Crowning

Default Barrel Crowning

Just wondering what types of barrel crowns are available and which ones are considered by the forum members to be the best choice for hunting/target shooting/etc. And does it really make a difference in accuracy to select one type of crown over the other? And will a damaged or poor crowning job reduce your rifle's accuracy? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nukalpiaq View Post
    Just wondering what types of barrel crowns are available and which ones are considered by the forum members to be the best choice for hunting/target shooting/etc. And does it really make a difference in accuracy to select one type of crown over the other? And will a damaged or poor crowning job reduce your rifle's accuracy? Thanks
    Damaged or poor crowns will knock the snot out of accuracy. End of story.

Right or wrong, I prefer recessed or "target" style crowns on my rifles.

My last couple of rifles I went with the target style crown, or 11 degree. A dinged up crown would make a rifle worthless, at least in the accuracy dept.

What counts the most in every style of a crown, no matter witch one, is that the lands and groves be a square cut and no burrs are any where on the face cut. All of the different styles are for protection of the actual crown. I like and do the 11 degree recessed and tapered for my own barrels and have found over the years offers the best protection. Unlike the other posts here I have never found wear on a crown to offer a great loss of accuracy. I have written the same many times on this web-site. Now if the wear is in one area of the crown then that is different. I remember a fellow that was in a hurry after he installed a barrel just before a big club (bench rest shoot) cut the barrel at a 30 degree angle and squared the cut and the crown. He won all the events and had everybody begging him to do their barrels the same. He had done this as a joke and was forced to tell everybody.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson