Thread: 2nd trip to Alaska

Default 2nd trip to Alaska

Myself my father and brother all ventured up to Cordova Alaska to try our luck at fishing.

Spent the day driving out to Childs Glacier, and Million Dollar Bridge.

We then went and tried our luck in a floating cabin in Simpson Bay just west of Cordova Harbor for 5 nights 6 days.

It was as expected wet and a little cold. Fishing was slow. We tried our luck in some local streams for silvers but nothing took.

So we decided to try our luck at halibut the rest of the time. This also was slow as well, pulling the occasional rock fish. Our bait of choice was herring, we also tried squid as well. My brother (not the fisher man, and first timer to Alaska) did manage to pull his first ever halibut (43 lbs). All smiles and high fives. We cutt the gill and bashed its head to try and subdue the fish UNTIL......... ahh man I hate telling this story, BUUUUUUTTTT. My father had brought along a rope that at one end he spiced in a loop. We put the looped end through the fishes gill, and then pulled the other end through (kind of like a heavy duty stringer). We slung the fish overboard, the fish thrashed about, and with all the blood that had soaked into the rope the loop gave way and the fish then sank in the abysis. Smiles and high fives turned to sad faces and cursing.

Myself and my father love to fish, this upset us the most. My brother on the other had just laughed it off, and said "Hey, I never had a fish story before, look now I have a GREAT ONE". What a positive out look he had.

Well the next comes and we venture out again to try out luck for more halibut, and what do you know the fish gods smiled on my brother, and he reeled in two halibuts (36# and 11#).

Those two unfortuneatly were the only fish that came back with us. (25#'s totaled shipped back).

All in all not the best fish catching trip, but this was the first time in like 15 or more years that myself, my brother and father all went on a long trip together. So it was a great bonding trip that I will not foget.

We got to see more of Alaska that myself anfd my father didnt see last time. My brother saw everything that he wanted to see (bears, bald eagles, otters, glaciers) plus he caught his first ever halibut.

THANKS FOR SCENERY ALASKA I REALLY ENJOYED IT.

Here are some pics

Childs Glacier

36# Halibut.

11# Halibut

A Dislecsic Halibut

A great fish story and great memories. Glad you had the pleasure of enjoying our great state. Come back and catch that big butt barn door next year
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I have some great memories of Alaska and most of them do not involve me catching as much as they do of me just fishing.

Thanks for sharing!
    Random guy in Fly shop: "Where did this happen???? In real life or in Alaska?"

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    I have some great memories of Alaska and most of them do not involve me catching as much as they do of me just fishing.

Thanks for sharing!

Just pack your bags and get it over with soda. you know you belong here
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Just pack your bags and get it over with soda. you know you belong here
    YEAH!
    You know you want to....