Thread: New stock for win mod 70

Default New stock for win mod 70

I have be thinking about getting a new stock for my win model in a 300 win mag. My old wood stock is starting to run on the barrel. Does anyone have experence with h-s percision stocks? Does anyone have and other brands that I should check out. I don't want to spend more then 300 to 400 for it. Thanks in advance

McMillians are great.

I have an H-S on my rifle 30-06 mod 70. It is a great stock too.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

How was the H-s stock to install? They say it is easy. How hard was it to install the fiberglass part? I have never done this before so any insight would be great.

The H-S Precision stocks are a simple drop-in. Unless you get a defect from the factory. If it was mine, I'd bed the action and float the barrel.

Default Stocks

I have two Winchecter MD 70's in 338 WM and they both have B&C composite stocks on them. One has been on the rifle for over 30 years and is still doing just fine. They are not the lightest stocks but they do help lessen the recoil.

Quote Originally Posted by swapdonkey View Post
    How was the H-s stock to install? They say it is easy. How hard was it to install the fiberglass part? I have never done this before so any insight would be great.

If you have never done any finish work on a fiberglass stock before, or have
    no knowledge of bedding a stock, I would save some more money and let whoever stock do all the work.Messing up a 300.00 stock is not my idea of a good idea. Remember your looking at 6 months for any fiberglass stock from McMillan or some of the others. Best bet is to send the barreled action in, wait the 6 months and pay 600.00 to 650.00. Let the maker handle all the little things you may not have the tooling for. Pad installation and pad fitting for length of pull, installing swivels studs, bedding all require more than just a few special tools and knowledge.

I'm not saying it can't be done at home, I'm saying the level of work is not going to be as high as it will be from the guys that do this day in and day out for years. Kind of like doing sheet rock work.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

H-S Precision stocks don't require any finish work, unless you're trying to jam your barreled action into the stock that is inletted for another action or something.

Pretty basic. Hell, the stock might even come with directions (not that it is needed...)

I have put the HS precision stock on a Model 70 Winchester.
    The stock comes from the factory with the Standard Mod 70 barrel contour
    inletted, it is drop fit for factory. It also comes with an expoxy type bedding compound that you work into a string of putty and then bed the action into that with the action screws. Make sure that you heavily grease the action/ or apply bedding release from Brownells to allow the action to be removed at a later time.

It was easy for me but I am an ex carpenter and have a vise and bench and
    proper tools to work with. I am not a gunsmith and though this is only my second post on this forum I have been swapping out stocks on rifles for twenty years. I don't attempt what I would consider to be a gunsmith's project, but the HS Bedding is easy and comes with instructions.

I have also taken the synthetic stocks the M70's come with filled them with Fiberglas
    expoxy and full length bedded them to stiffen them up. They got a pound or so heavier but that bothers me less than recoil.

Some of my enjoyment with the outdoor sports in general comes from working on my own equipment...