Thread: Range/Rabbit pistol for beginner

Default Range/Rabbit pistol for beginner

I am trying to choose a pistol to take to the range regularly and to carry around on fishing trails where I keep seeing rabbits and squirrels. Without buying anything fancy, I would like to find a reliable gun that I won't outgrow too soon with practice. Less complicated to break down and reassemble is a plus too. I'm sure you have this discussion all the time but everyone wants something different.

Hands down the browning buckmark. Its more accurate than the ruger's. You will want the heavy barrel in yours.

Arrow 22 pistol

My vote would go for a Ruger single six ,plenty accurate enough and very simple to tear down and put back together and if there is a tougher pistol out there I haven't seen it lot's of luck and good shooting....Ronnie

They both seem pretty appropriate. I'm keeping my eye open for a used one of either in decent condition, since they are both just a little out of price range for me. I am also looking for a shooting range near Anchorage that rents out guns so I can try out several before choosing. I know Rabbit Creek doesn't do it and Birchwood is a little out of the way for a place that requires membership. Probably might as well just find something I can afford and try it.

Quote Originally Posted by calebsb View Post
    I am trying to choose a pistol to take to the range regularly and to carry around on fishing trails where I keep seeing rabbits and squirrels. Without buying anything fancy, I would like to find a reliable gun that I won't outgrow too soon with practice. Less complicated to break down and reassemble is a plus too. I'm sure you have this discussion all the time but everyone wants something different.
    I'd base the choice on which other handguns you currently own or hope to own. If you're into semi-autos, get a semi-auto 22. If you're into revolvers, get a 22 revolver. Since you're just starting out, the practice and hunting with the similar 22 will pay off bigtime when you start using larger calibers.

As for brand and model, that's going to depend on your budget and used versus new opportunities. I'm sure fond of Smith over all other 22 revolvers, but they can be more expensive. Even so, the trigger is going to be enough like double action large caliber revolvers that the difference will be important. If you're into single actions and will be using one of those rather than a DA, then by all means the Ruger Single Six would be an excellent choice.

Use the same kind of thinking and comparisons in picking a semi-auto.

I am fortunate enough (or stupid in my wifes eyes) to own most of the major brands of Semi .22's from the S&W 41 on down and also a couple of nice revolvers.
    The most "fun" pistol I own and shoot the most is this:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...04&isFirearm=Y

BWD does not require membership,
    they do have a day fee to use the range for non EPM members.

I'll give them a call. If they will rent guns to nonmembers that's the way to go.

they do not rent guns at BWD....nice place to shoot though. Check it out.