Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hanging Meat Worries

Default Hanging Meat Worries

Ok, this is the first time I have ever shot a bull during the first week of september and the warmer weather here in the interior is worrying me. The moose traveled for one and a half days in boat (with pretty good ventilation - non-stop ride so no hanging it at night or anything) and got hung up about 40 hours after shooting it- blood still dripping but mostly drained out. It was well bled and well taken care of, plus where I was hunting was MUCH cooler than here in Fairbanks. Thus I am sure it was fine on arrival, here is the problem, I now have it hanging in a cool garage and am processing it as fast as I can swing knives and freezer paper as I am worried that the 50-55 degree garage will spoil the meat in short order - about how long do you think I have to get this fella done? I am used to hanging it for about 4 days to age nicely, but that is at around 40 degrees... not 55. Any experience and info on this would be MUCH appreciated! I have never lost any meat in my life and I am determined that if it takes buying an air conditioner and a bunch of no-doze... I will make sure the meat stays ok!

Default temp

Cut fast or find some cooler space. Seriously I would try to get some help & get it done

Or hang it outside if the temps are cooler.

Default I have some help -

I have some help already, but my guess is it will still take me a good 36 hours to finish as the help is not trained in this sort of thing and I do have to go to work for a few hours tomorrow to make up for my absence this week. Praying for cooler weather - definitely cooler in the garage right now... most pieces have a nice crust but there are a few that just are refusing to crust over - how worried should I be -- I probably worry too much, but I would rather worry myself sick than be permanently sick because I wasted hard earned meat!

Working full time on getting it done and finished! Just hoping for some peace of mind from others who have been in similar situations...

Default citric acid?

Maybe give it a spray of citric acid would help some.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

if nothing else bone it, bag it and freeze it. you can always pull large pieces out and cut them at your leasure... lots of people worry about thawing meat and re freezing it.. what most don't know is that nice steak you bought at the store or the restaurant has been froze / thawed several times.. you loose a little more blood each time. but it can take it.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

With some of the cooler nights we have been having...Hang it outside at night or open garage doors and cool it down. If it cools down at night real good, the meat can withstand some warmer temps during the day.

The lady who processes our meat hangs the meat at no charge if you have something made. So we hang it with her for 10 days and have pepperoni sticks made. That way we don't have to pay the $10 a day to hang it. If your wanting to hang it longer, I would call around and see who might have cooler space.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Start with the ones not crusting over, I always put a couple fans, blowing over mine this well help too. Or, Like Vince said, drop off the bone big pieces,put in the freezer, won,t hurt it a bit. I half freeze the rounds anyways, get them good and stiff helps me make a nice straight cut on those steaks, Burger meat same thing my grinder works way better on half frozen, stuff than not, less mushy.

Default Huntress

Is the lady who makes your pepperoni a personal friend or a business. I am currently in an apartment and my garage is not even close to being cool enough, I would love to have a place to hang my meat. Having grown up back East we would let our meat hang at least a week. I have read mixed reviews on hanging meat in Ak, so if I cant find a place; I will just butcher it when I get it home.

Default Call around

Make some phone calls. I would just have 40 lbs of pepperoni or sausage made, and I'm sure you can work out with whoever makes it for you to store the rest in his/her cold storage until you can properly deal with it. Or, just ask if you can store it for a charge. $10/day to store meat is nothing if it prevents you losing any amount. I would certainly do something, though. A couple days at 50-degrees? You're pushing it.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

There is nothing wrong with taking a couple quarters to a freezer until you can process them. I have had to do it in the past, it worked great and refreezing meat won't bother the quality one bit .

Anything that is "cut meat" for burger and sausage, get it into a tote and get it in the freezer for processing later on.

windswept,

We use Pioneer Meats out here by Pittman Road. In the strip mall She is fantastic and you also get your own meat back. I want to say her minimum was 20lbs, but it was well worth just storing it there. We have used her for 3 years now with no complaints. It's a relief when you don't have to worry about your meat each day.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Wow, I like your attitude about keeping the meat from spoiling. Has it crossed anyones mind to give this fellow a hand and perhaps a reward may be in progress. That was a joke!

Past couple years I've been processing my meat the next day after harvesting, talk about the best tasting ever. No need to hang forever, and crustover, too much loss that way.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

Default Ice it down

Get a pallet or something to keep the meat off the ground/ floor. Then get some contractor bags and fill them with a generous amount of ice. Place them on and around the meat and cover with a tarp.

Smile Thanks

Thank you to everyone who posted their ideas... I used a combination of most of the above and it worked out great. Several sleepless nights with short naps during the day when I started to see double but its all packaged and safely frozen in my freezer. The ice in contractor bags idea was great, I feel like a real nitwit for not thinking of it, but so glad it was mentioned as it was an easy fix to buy a bit more time. Also dropped some big chunks in the chest freezer until I could finish them off... Only thing I did not try was the citric acid... mainly because I figured it was a bit late in the game to be applying it the day I was going to chop it.

In future, I will probably get in touch with a commercial outfit to store my meat... Never really liked the idea of having it commercially processed, but storing it for a few days would be fine.

I am now dreaming of sleep...too bad its a work day... wonder if I can call in sick of moose....

Thanks again

Lime,

Good deal! Glad all went well, Its well worth the work though when you take one trip down the meat isle at your local grocery store, I would hate to think of what our meat bill would be if we had to buy meat each year.

Anyhow, as far as your fears go with commercial outfits. Interview them! Make sure they do what you want them to do, if you don't like the outfit, move to the next one. I can tell you, its a whole lot less headache having someone prepared to take your meat and hang it for you. I don't like the idea of icing my meat down, you risk the chance of your meat getting wet then your really SOL. We'll ice it down if we HAVE to, but if we are close to home like we usually are, our lady is there ready to bail us out if needed.
    As I get older, maybe I'm getting lazy, but I tell you, I can at least sleep at night knowing nothing is going to happen to my meat! lol......

We have also toyed with the idea of getting our own connex trailer and making our own cooler out of it. I don't like the idea of having that thing in my yard......hehe....

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by Huntress View Post
    Lime,

We have also toyed with the idea of getting our own connex trailer and making our own cooler out of it. I don't like the idea of having that thing in my yard......hehe....

Couple refregerators out back you can wipe out and plug in work good to.. of course the CONEX.... could mean MAN ROOM in the not hunting season.....
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Yea, he has a man room, but I guess you guys can't have too many! Man room = piece and quiet for me... LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Couple refregerators out back you can wipe out and plug in work good to.. of course the CONEX.... could mean MAN ROOM in the not hunting season.....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast