Thread: cow or bull noise?

Default cow or bull noise?

So this morning I was scratching some brush and listening. I was about to go when I heard something coming towards me (at least I thought it was). It went through some wet area and broke a couple branches. The thing was it made a small grunt with each step, like a short "whuu". I also got to hear a cow and calf "chatting" a few times last night while I watched them. This sounded different though.
    I thought it was a bull but am prone to second guessing myself. Anyone have a good idea?
    Thanks

Sounds like a bull, maybe a young one.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

bull all the way. cows make a racket like you wont believe
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    So this morning I was scratching some brush and listening. I was about to go when I heard something coming towards me (at least I thought it was). It went through some wet area and broke a couple branches. The thing was it made a small grunt with each step, like a short "whuu". I also got to hear a cow and calf "chatting" a few times last night while I watched them. This sounded different though.
    I thought it was a bull but am prone to second guessing myself. Anyone have a good idea?
    Thanks
    Yeah, it was a bull. I love that sound. I find that bulls tend to make that call when they're making their presence known. Not nessecarily a fighting call. He might have been trying to locate cows. If I heard that call I would switch to cow noises. I've seen some cool reactions to the sound of urine or water hitting the ground. It drives bulls CRAZY! Good luck!

Also, I've seen more big bulls making that sound than small ones.
    Last edited by lab man; 09-05-2008 at 17:36. Reason: added something

Definatly a young bull, seen it many a times.

Default Definately a bull

However I disagree with everyone thinking it is a small bull.

I have had large bulls come in very quiet and sneaky and I have had them come a charging ready to take no prisoners.

I have also had the same reations out of small bulls.

This early in the season I would say it is too hard to tell personally.

Just my 2 cents

Should have kept thrashing on the brush and imitate the grunting noise, he'd have come out drooling.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

yeah I agree with Marv1. I posted allready about walking and making the whuu sound myself and the surprise results I got. Wish I had been ready...

Default Be prepaired

We have had times we got all excited about our "bull" coming in, only to find a man walking towards us. We even had a little fun with one man up in Eklutna, It was humorous to say the least.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Well, you guys were right. I went back the next night and did some more thrashing. I heard nothing so I tried out my cow call. 5-10 minutes later I heard him calling back. I just sat there calling every 5 minutes or so as I heard him come closer. For about 15minutes he was just inside the spruce where I couldn't see him. Finally, when he realized it was too dark for a shot he came out. He was young and big in size (I could barely make out the antlers in the low light).
    If he had come out earlier I would be cutting meat instead of typing!!
    Any tricks to draw them out the last 10 feet into the open??
    Thanks

Timing, luck or a montana moose decoy.

Default I've Heard

They like a heaping pile of corn and peas
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by skier View Post
    Any tricks to draw them out the last 10 feet into the open??
    Thanks
    I bought one of "Montana Decoy's" cow moose decoys (that AKDSLDOG suggests), but haven't had a chance to try it out yet.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default oil can on a stick

The sound of a plastic motor oil can that has its bottom sliced off and then is attached to a stick with duct tape that is scratched on the alders with a bull call and your decoy should be pretty effective.

You could also make a coffecan call with a string and have that with your decoy.

Good Luck

Sincerely,

Thomas

Default Alteration

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68 View Post
    The sound of a plastic motor oil can that has its bottom sliced off and then is attached to a stick with duct tape that is scratched on the alders with a bull call and your decoy should be pretty effective.

You could also make a coffecan call with a string and have that with your decoy.

Good Luck

Sincerely,

Thomas
    I've seen a variation of that work quite well but it was a leather shoe string that was wet; you pinch the string at the bottom of the coffee can and pull down sharply; sounds just like a "ooo-whuh" if you hold the coffee can by the rim and not the side of it.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by 375ultramag View Post
    However I disagree with everyone thinking it is a small bull.

I have had large bulls come in very quiet and sneaky and I have had them come a charging ready to take no prisoners.

I have also had the same reations out of small bulls.

This early in the season I would say it is too hard to tell personally.

Just my 2 cents
    Agree with you. My hunting partner just killed a moose that had a big and fat body, and 54" antlers. He was making grunting calls, and this moose moved in, but stayed out of view in the brush, while making fast and short grunts as it walked. Then my friend decided to walk away while making a few and fast grunts of his own, and the moose followed him (making the same fast and short grunts). My friend stopped, and waited for the moose to step-up a dirt berm, and that's when he shot it. The moose I called-in last year sounded like a giant, although it was a young one with a 32" (or so) rack. I called it from a long distance from a rocky knob, and could clearly see that it was not as big as it sounded.