Thread: WATCH report 9-4-09

Default WATCH report 9-4-09

Caribou numbers.

Yes we had very early caribou movement 2 weeks ago but they were not the main group by any stretch. The early numbers were good but have pushed through to the Selawik area. That area is a tough hunt as it is very wet but there are good possibilities out there. I heard of a large string numbering over 2000 animals coming through the passes in the upper Noatak. I will need to do some follow up before I shoot my mouth off as to what drainage. I will get back to you guys this weekend.

I would recommend heading up into some of the upper drainages and holding fast because this is still early for the main migration and they will be pushing through rivers like the Kug, Kelly, Wrench Creek and the Nimmi.

Good hunting is a coming guys!

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, AK

Default Wach

I forgot to add that very few caribou have been brought back into town this week. Keep in mind this is very early and most flight services are just ramping up as next week is when we begin to see the push of hunters.

Default Going out on the 14th

Caribou or Moose, that is the question. What do you think? Planned on bou, but haven't heard much. Flying out with Jim Kincaid. Hopefully the numbers pick up. Any good areas for moose and bou?

Default Moose or Bou

Lots of good moose and good bou spots but the rivers are better for one than the other. Do you have a moose tag? Try the Tag river or the Wulik. Bou the possibilities are endless. Jim is your best source and he will treat you right.

Walt

Default On the way

Walt
    Jim's taking me and a buddy out Sunday. We'll be in town tomorrow night where's the best place to get dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Omulan67 View Post
    Walt
    Jim's taking me and a buddy out Sunday. We'll be in town tomorrow night where's the best place to get dinner?
    Check out the Bay View Inn. Fairly varied menu and not all that bad of prices (was up there in 06). They've got a good bacon cheese burger!

Default Kotz eats

The Bayside and Empress are the only 2 sit down choices. Be prepared for high prices, 13-20 a plate. Both are on front street and the views are good of the sound.

Good luck.

Walt

Thumbs up The latest! Saturday Sept 6th

Well the Caribou hunting crowd arrived in Kotz in full force tonight. We had only 1 plane today due to fog so the night flight was about 50% hunters. All the flight services were/are stacked up because they could not fly today either. I will let you know how they are doing as the week progresses. The flight services did have animals returning to town this weekend but no real monsters. I talked with one returning hunter who had a “dink” in the plane and he admitted he took what he thought was the first good bull he saw, filled his tag and proceeded to see more good animals that were much bigger later in his hunt. Keep in mind that it takes a little time with a set of binos in hand to learn what a nice bou is especially when you’re on your first caribou trip. Be patient guys!

Temps. The inland temps are warm. Kotz was 50 today but up the Noatak it was over 70 degrees. This is important because meat spoils quickly and if you fill your tag on day 2 of a 7 day hunt you will loose meat at 70 degrees.

Walt

Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue Alaska

Default Thanks Walt!

Keep up the great reports! We (party of 4) will be in Kotz on the 18th and return on the 25th, weather permitting, for a caribou adventure. Your updates are the highlight of my week......well, maybe second to my wife's Sitka deer tacos on wednesdays.

DS

Default Hot weather,

Walt, Thanks for the report, boy 70 degree's really warm. If the weather stays that way allot of guys will be asking for an early trip out. Could get pretty backed up with the flying?

What is the forcast for later mid month?

Default Stevo- Sat Phone

The weather service has a tough time making week out forecasts, mid month is a pipe dream! Come prepared for seasonal weather and be prepared for anything else. I have a group of guys going out on a late float trip Sept 15-28 and I let them know that I was worried about getting froze in. My advise is when it is warm choose your bou carefully especially early in your hunt. If you can’t pass up on a monster have a sat phone with you so you can call for a early pick up. Remember that most planes are coming back empty to Kotz this early and it not a big deal to come get ya but later on it will be the opposite as the flight services will be getting hammered and you need to be flexible for sure

Look me up guys if you need anything. Nothing is worse than arriving only to find out you left a _____ at home. Chances are good I have what you need.

Water issues are an issue for us also and we will need to keep an eye on the river levels.
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Hey Walt: First time in northwest alaska hunting this year ( we leave from ND this thursday) we are going out of Kiana, and heading up the squiril river. Any word on that area, or should a guy try further up in the foothills? We got all the maps and gear we need, just need a good start on some animals. Buy the way we are hunting mainly caribou!!

Thumbs up The Squirrel

The Squirrel is one of the good spots so far this year. I had 4 guys return from the Omhar which is a trip of the Squirrel and they took 6 bulls 2 were huge. Keep in mind it can and will change in a wink of a eye as caribou of strange animals and go where they want to. The Squirrel is also a area that gets hammered and finding room to hunt can be tough. Are you flying with Lee Sea Air? For you guys who don’t know about Pee Wee he is a very good pilot and I would like to send more groups to him.
    Walt
    Northwest Alaska Backcountry Rentals
    Your best bet in Rafts and camp rentals
    www.northwestalaska.com
    Kotzebue, Alaska
    33 miles north of the Arctic Circle

Ya we are going with Lee, seems like he knows what he is talking about. Also he has been very good with going the extra mile for us!!! He said he has a few spots checked out and as long as renagades don't move in on us we will do fine!!