Thread: Floatplanes in Homer

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

Default Floatplanes in Homer

Here are two photos of floatplanes I took early one morning in Homer. We were getting ready to head to Katmai, unfortunately, engine problems forced us to turn around shortly after takeoff, so no bear photos.

I'd appreciate any comments or suggestions on the photos.

Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

I like the first one, but I would clone out the contrail. I think it is too bright and too distracting. Nice shot though. I often like small plane shots, and I'm not a pilot. In fact, I get airsick every time I get in one. Anyway, the lighting works well on this one.

The second one doesn't work for me. Everything is too centered. I think I would have tried moving to the right a bit and gotten lower to get less of the overhead wing, and turn the camera to place the other plane farther to the right, and the Sun even more right, or better yet, just out of the frame.

I agree with Jim, especially on the first photo. That contrail has got to go. Great photo otherwise.

My first impression of the second photo was pretty darn good though I like to see the subject offcenter. I would come down on the for ground wing. You have captured the color nicely. That scene would have been fun to shoot to get the photo that pops out at you.

Currently live in Austin, TX. Born near Pittsburgh, PA, and lived in CO for 8 years.

Default Thanks for the comments

I really appreciate the comments. I had a few shots before the contrail, but the color wasn't right. I'll see what I can do in Photoshop.

On the second shot, I agree with you, too. I was standing as far back on a floating dock as I could, but could have shifted position a little to get better composition.